Arms and Hips

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
I've been working on the ideas in Jason's post on Finding Your Spring.
But, instead of finding it in my legs, where I thought it would be, I found my spring in the connection between my hips and my arms.

Focusing on synchronizing my hip movement and my arm movement has helped me forget about my legs, and suddenly, my gait seems to be taking care of itself.

Any similar experiences?

Reactions: barefootandagile
Um, me neither. I do run better when I'm working out my upper body, though, I've found. I think trail running especially requires more core and shoulder strength.

Lately I have been playing around with the arm swing in a couple of ways. I used to make my arms swing straight forward and back, and now I'm allowing my arms to swing diagonally a little across the chest. I've also been adjusting the angle of the elbows, and making an angle that's a little tighter than 90 degrees. Both adjustments seem to make the whole stride a little bit smoother, and I may be approaching the elusive "lean."

Reactions: clawhammer72
Lately I have been playing around with the arm swing in a couple of ways. I used to make my arms swing straight forward and back, and now I'm allowing my arms to swing diagonally a little across the chest. I've also been adjusting the angle of the elbows, and making an angle that's a little tighter than 90 degrees. Both adjustments seem to make the whole stride a little bit smoother, and I may be approaching the elusive "lean."
+1 That sounds exactly like what I've been doing. Thanks for describing it so succinctly.

it's said don't let your arms swing across your chest. it will twist your hips which will twist your legs. you want to go forward, not side to side.

i pull my elbows behind me. works good. i slow am springier in my right leg than left but i'm working on that.

I've been working on the ideas in Jason's post on Finding Your Spring.
But, instead of finding it in my legs, where I thought it would be, I found my spring in the connection between my hips and my arms.

Focusing on synchronizing my hip movement and my arm movement has helped me forget about my legs, and suddenly, my gait seems to be taking care of itself.

Any similar experiences?

Indeed, when I move my body as a coordinated unit I also feel the best while I run.

BFWillie is big advocate of controlling the legs through arm swing, and Steve Magness says to control tempo through arm swing. For me, the key is maintaining a good athletic posture in my upper body--erect back yet relaxed shoulders and neck, with my hips sunk down just a bit. When I fatigue I start to slouch a bit, and notice the effect immediately in my legs. These days I try not to run more than the last mile in a fatigued state, and when I feel I can no longer maintain good posture, I stop and walk the rest of the way home. This is how I determine what my longest run should be, because I doubt I get much benefit and may risk injury of some kind if I run extra miles with poor form.

I don't make too many comments on form. I'm still experimenting and finding out new things every run, but having a proper arm swing made a huge difference. I used to swing my arms at the elbow. A bad habit from skiing and using poles. Once I stopped doing that, I had much better efficiency. I felt my whole body working and not just my legs.

In regards to arms....My opinion is that they are attached to our upper body and there role is to balance the body not control the leg movement. Getting there movement in sync is really positive for everyone. I think :)

In regards to arms....My opinion is that they are attached to our upper body and there role is to balance the body not control the leg movement. Getting there movement in sync is really positive for everyone. I think :)
especially at the start of a really packed competitive 5k that bottlenecks within the first 200 meters :D
....wait....these may be two different ideas...lol

Reactions: Bare Lee
Arm swing can be a great cue for some. I usually recommend it for people that have trouble with form. Part of it seems to be distraction- you focusing on the arms makes you forget about the legs.

I sometimes forget about arm swing since mine are always flailing around from trail running.

Reactions: Sid
it's said don't let your arms swing across your chest. it will twist your hips which will twist your legs. you want to go forward, not side to side.

i pull my elbows behind me. works good. i slow am springier in my right leg than left but i'm working on that.
I tried the straight arm thing for a while.
Now, my arms are bent and closer in to my chest than before, but they don't cross the center. Who knows, I'll probably go back and forth.
I've got to try the whole flailing arm thing, too. ;)

I keep my arms lower and my swing-range shorter and that seems to correct everything.

I keep my arms nice and loose. When I run on trails the tend to swing more as needed for power up the little hills. My buddy says I look like an apeman at times. ;)

I keep my arms nice and loose. When I run on trails the tend to swing more as needed for power up the little hills. My buddy says I look like an apeman at times. ;)

Since you are winking, AGAIN, I assume this is not your imaginary buddy you speak of???

I imagine I'm not the only one to notice that my arms act like wild creatures as I run trails - they're up, down, and appear to flail around, but they're helping me maintain balance as I negotiate tough terrain.
This isn't the "upper body form" most of you are referring to, I think.

Metronomic form is for the (ho hum) flat paths and roads.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7