Xero Shoes H-Trail Sandal Review

meiniles

Barefooters
May 3, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Last month I won the Xero Shoes giveaway and picked the H-Trail sandal. The 9mm thick sole appealed to me because of some of the rocky and technical trails we have in the area. My standard Shamma Cruzers (6mm sole) are great, but during a recent hike up a creek-bed my feet were not terribly happy toward the end of the day. And now I've found that the H-Trails are a solid choice for rocky terrain. In the last few weeks I've been on a few hikes and found what works on them and where I still see shortcomings.

Like every pair of sandals I've ever owned the straps take a while to adjust correctly. In the first few days wearing the H-Trails for my daily walk they didn't impress me. The four adjustment points on the straps initially made it a challenge to dial in the correct fit. In fact, my first hike (Lone Oak trail on Buffalo Mt, Johnson City, TN. 3.5 mi and 1200ft elevation gain) left me with a nasty raw mark where the tab at the top of the toe post was rubbing for two hours. Eventually I adjusted the straps to my satisfaction, but it may have taken longer than usual simply due to the many adjustment points that I had to choose from.

Where the H-Trail really stands out for me is the sole. The traction is fantastic on steep, rocky trails. The footbed is comfortable and generally didn't slip much when wet. Last weekend on a hike to hunt for wildflowers we ventured up a hollow on Holston Mountain and I never slipped an inch while scrambling up the creek and over rocks and downed trees.

The H-Trails won't replace my Cruzers as my daily walking and running sandals, but they're now my first choice for hiking. The only lingering issue I have with them is still the straps. My heel never quite feels as secure in them as in my Shammas or Luna Origens. Despite my reservations about that straps I would recommend them to anyone looking for a trail sandal.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thank you for your review! Could you mark on the straps where your preferred locations are for the buckles and the velcro? Silly idea?

Once set the straps seem to stay in place, so I'm not worried about readjustments. Since dialing in the fit last week there haven't been any issues standing out. And I'm probably only noticing the loose heel because it stood out initially, before I made major adjustments that largely secured it. After all, if there weren't any slipping issues when scrambling around in a creek and on the wet rocks and logs then I don't expect to have m/any in the future.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7