Would you enjoy running if it wasn't for barefoot running?

Ahhhhh, I am touched...in the head, yes. That's sweet, Ram! :shy: Thanks. Others have said the same thing, that if it wasn't for the RW BFR forum, er uh, that other place, they wouldn't have given barefoot running any thought. Because they found BFR, they were able to resolve a lot of the problems, pain and injuries, they were having running in shoes. Means a lot to me. To know I made a difference in the lives of others. Thank you for letting me know.

Reactions: Sid
I for one can say that I would NOT be a runner anymore if it wasn't for barefoot running.
I would have quit a long time ago of not for barefoot running.

The same here.
Although I tried to start running (in shoes) a couple of times in the past these attempts never lasted long.
Some knee pain, no fun, it was more of a duty, boring, I had to force myself to run.
Once I started barefoot, everything changed.
I never thought such a small modification (no shoes) would change running for me so much.

Thank you, Mike. How so? From the BRS? I don't remember you from "that other place." Hee.

And more hugs for TJ!

I admit I went barefoot before going to That Other Forum... but I don't know if I would have stayed that way. When I popped over to That Other Forum (which TJ started), I was really unsure about it. I didn't need much help with the barefoot running part, but I definitely needed some social support to stick with it.

And barefoot running has changed so much for me!

Happy thoughts, TJ!

Looking over my last post in this topic, I feel the need to clarify: I am not downplaying the positive role barefoot running played in my ability to begin running again in the first place. I was a frustrated runner and had pretty well given up until I read an article on it in Men's Journal (or Outside)..it was the precursor to 'the book' and got me thinking. I have applied so many of the principles of barefoot running to my form that it is unrecognizable to my earlier efforts, even if in the same shoes as before. I also applied the same approach to my return to shod running as i did bfr: slow and gradual build of distance. That made a big difference as well, I believe.

I love the concept/notion of barefoot running, and think it is awesome what some runners are capable of in the raw (marathons, rough trails, etc). I tried all sorts of terrain and conditions as a barefooter and came away more annoyed that elevated. For me it's about running more than it is being barefoot or any such philosophical stance. Barefoot just isn't the answer for me (but it was a dominating component of the equation). I'll probably incorporate some huarache'd or even skin to ground running this year as things warm up just to keep myself honest form-wise, and to keep my brs membership credentials up to date, but will be surprised to see it ever become my full time running choice.

tl;dr: I'm a fence sitter.

...but barefoot running is still very important part of running. Last summer I tried running with merrell road gloves. It was the most horrible running experience I have had in past few years. Well, maybe running with fractured bone in the foot was worse, but not much. Anyway, running with road gloves felt very boring because there were no ground feel and also very painful because of that arch support. I wouldn't probably continue running if it were such boring or painful as it was with road gloves. But with good minimalistic shoes, running is mostly ok.

Also I have been thinking about goals of running and how I should run to get better at running. Well, I tried having a goal and using running program lately, but lasted only 1½ weeks. It wasn't physically too hard program, but mentally it felt like being a dog in very short leash, running as fast and far as master does... Having a just exact speed and distance while running has no room for spontaneous stuff, like if it feels like barefooting at the halfway, or there would be some nice trail or just feeling like going slower or faster, longer or shorter, or while barefooting if it restricts speed, such would kind of ruin result of that run. While it's not really a catastrophe, still trying to accomplish something that is written in program makes one not so easily try anything spontaneous or it may feel disappointing at some level to not follow program exactly. And that's just stupid. So, why the hell I would restrict myself like that? Getting better is nice, but changing running something like serious work feels just plain stupid. Best parts of running is flow and feel and just being free in the forest on trails. Speed and endurance are not really so important that training to improve them should ruin other aspects of running. Meaning of endurance is to be able to enjoy running bit longer daily and speed helps a bit with flow. And both come handy in orienteering. But still, training is daily, so training runs are the most important thing, not events or goals. If running and training become a chore, endurance and speed become just abstract statistics. Or something like that. ;)

Well, in the end I didn't abandon running program thing altogether, decided that I just try to run one tempo and one long run in the week and all the rest is free..

Anyway, it feels like barefooting kind of represents all the fun stuff of running, reminds what is really relevant in running.

Reactions: happysongbird
I've always enjoyed running but going bf just made it even more fun.
+2

I quite enjoyed running, and did it shod from when I was little until I was 33. It wasnt until the last couple years where injury started to become and issue that I switched to bfr. I must say after the transition I enjoy it much more now, though I still can't enjoy trails or winter like I used too. Maybe a couple more years of toughening will change my mind on those two as well.

My all out record 5k is still over 2 minutes faster shod from my high school days, but like some other posters have said they never could go very far. Now since going barefoot, I've been able to run much further.

I am going to say no, I would not enjoy running if I could only do so in a pre barefoot running epiphany manner. Basically because I couldn't run without my left knee locking up. It was painful and I loathed doing it.

Reactions: happysongbird
I enjoyed running up until I got plantar fasciitis and couldn't anymore. But yes, running BF changed my world: my running exploded. I run way more now, though much of it lately in minimalist footwear. In fact, I'm going back and forth on whether ultra-running is worth 'it' if I don't run barefoot as much.

Barefoot, every run, even the same route, becomes a new adventure.

In fact, I'm going back and forth on whether ultra-running is worth 'it' if I don't run barefoot as much.
Framed somewhat differently, if I had to choose between a real cool trail in the mountains that was virtually impossible to do barefoot, and a barefoot run on my neighborhood's asphalt and concrete, I'm not sure which one I would choose. Luckily, I'm never presented with those extremes. There are no really cool unbareable mountain trails around here.

So far my only decision making has been between a treadmill and running outside in shoes on the really cold days. The outdoors always wins, but I'm beginning to question that a bit. I had a really good, purely barefoot run yesterday for the first time in two months, and it just made me hate running shod all the more. Maybe if I had bought my new Vapor Gloves earlier in the season, I would've had a more enjoyable shod winter running experience.

Hard to say now that I exclusively run with bare feet. As others said former attempts to start running regularly,
did not last very long. But that might have been due to other reasons.
I am pretty sure that I will never run in non-minimalist shoes anymore.
I do not know if I am able to tackle rocky mountain trails barefoot. My home landscape is very flat, so I have to wait
for the next holiday in the mountains to try it out.

So come to write about it , the answer is not hard after all: I could not enjoy running in normal running shoes.
I agree with Lomad though, that the important part is the running not the being barefoot.
However, there is just no reason for me to wear anything more than a minimalist shoe.
On the other hand there are so many reasons to run in bare feet .
Every run I learn something new. On Sunday we had some 10 cm
snow, which very rarely stays for long here in north of Germany. I discovered that my feet stay warm after a couple of km even
when going through puddles. And silently flying through the white landscape is such a fantastic feeling.

Hannes

Every run I learn something new. On Sunday we had some 10 cm
snow, which very rarely stays for long here in north of Germany. I discovered that my feet stay warm after a couple of km even
when going through puddles.
Hannes

Excellent !

I love to run barefoot. I love to run with people. I love to run on trails and in nature. Give me any of those with or without shoes and I'm a happy girl!

In fact, I'm going back and forth on whether ultra-running is worth 'it' if I don't run barefoot as much.

Barefoot, every run, even the same route, becomes a new adventure.

I ran a 50k, and ran it barefoot because it was a barefoot friendly course. But then I questioned this ultra running, it's just not me. I like road marathons because I can run them barefoot:)

I run the same route constantly where I live and couldn't agree with you more!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7