World's First Barefoot Orthotic

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
In my quest to solve my Morton's toe issue I have created a Morton's foot pad for my bare feet. These worked wonderfully on my 2.5 mile run in the rain today. I am only going to use them to buy time as I work on the form. What do you think?

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/11/1/db4e1e6d-c77f-4298-813d-912c83973ba9.Medium.jpg

http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/12/8/bc4598a6-b180-49bf-88f7-3b0ccf44276b.Medium.jpg

I have Morton's Neuroma

I have Morton's Neuroma (hopefully for not much longer) as most of you know. What is it you are trying to do exactly? On your left foot, are you trying to keep the second toe away from the 3rd toe? I can't figure out what you are trying to do with the right foot though.

I tried tying a soft hair band to my 1st and 2nd toes before, but it didn't last long, and it was quite uncomfortable.

The problem with the

The problem with the Morton's toe is not that the 2nd toe is too long, rather the 1 metatarsal is too short. This forces the second metty to take most of the load, for which it was not designed. This results in large, painful calouses forming at the 2nd metty head and even bruising there as well.

The normal treatment for this condition is to lower the profile of the short 1st metty, thus forcing it to take back its proper load. This is known as a Morton toe pad. While I suspect this issue can be resolved with better form, particularly cadence, in the meantime I wanted something to protect me without having to wear shoes.

Thus, the Nyal Davidsson Barefoot Morton Pad was born. I cannot describe the difference this pad makes. My feet felt as though I had not even run today, when other times I have been in misery. Not a permanent solution, rather a stopgap to buy time.

(maybe useless as my form seems to be helping, but it is nice to have a fall back)

Nyal wrote:I cannot describe

Nyal said:
I cannot describe the difference this pad makes. My feet felt as though I had not even run today, when other times I have been in misery.

That's just an awesome thing to read! You did good, maybe for other people as well :D

As you already know

As you already know (basically what you already said), some people assume that just because they have a second longer toe than the first toe that they have Morton's Toe; when in fact, it's the second toe's metatarsal being longer than the first toe's metatarsal is what classifies Morton's Toe.

Also just to clarify, Morton's Toe and Morton's Neuroma don't necessarily go hand-in-hand (or foot-in-foot -- hee). It's possible to have Morton's Toe and never develop Morton's Neuroma. It just so happens that I have both. Ah, the cursed toes!

I still don't understand how it's working though. If you don't mind explaining this to the turtle in me; I am a little slow sometimes.

I always knew that the two

I always knew that the two Morton's were a generation apart, but is there really a relationship between the neuroma and the toe?

I had thought that they were as unrelated as the Mortons they were named after.

Just because you have one

Just because you have one doesn't mean you will get the other. Many people with Morton's Toe never develop Morton's Neuroma...lucky dogs! It just so happens that I am defective in this area...and many others; in fact, my hubby said that "somewhere" in our marriage "agreement" there is a clause that states he can trade me in on a newer model. :cry:

Barefoot TJ wrote:in fact, my

Barefoot TJ said:
in fact, my hubby said that "somewhere" in our marriage "agreement" there is a clause that states he can trade me in on a newer model. :cry:

Make sure to remind your husband that that clause goes for you as well ;-)

Very interesting read. Keep

Very interesting read. Keep us posted on how this goes for you. I always assumed most folks had a longer second toe.

Here's an email I was

Here's an email I was reminded of today that I received over a year ago. Ben from Ted's group was wishing to help me with my neuroma problem. It may work for those of you in the early stages of a neuroma (Morton's Neuroma) problem:

> Please get a copy of Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattes and do

> the Ankle-Foot protocol (pp. 76-85) morning and evening. Whenever you

> can, have an assistant do the assisted Ankle-Foot protocol with you.

> (pp. 146-158) [Active Isolated Stretching available at

> stretchingusa.com]

> Mattes reports excellent results with Morton's over his 40 years as a

> therapist and feels that surgery is usually not needed as long as a

> serious commitment to AIS stretching is first attempted.

> Feel free to contact me with any questions.

> Be well,

> Ben Fury

> Bettercise

Interesting, reading this I

Interesting, reading this I think I've discovered I have a mortons foot problem too, which may account for some of my foot problems and overpronation. I'm going to try the foot pad idea myself for my day shoes and see if it helps at all.

Thanks for that

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7