Working with Summer Heat

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
I don't know why this wasn't something I was trying to figure out last summer, or if I just forgot, but when the daytime highs have been 105°F, does the pavement ever get cool enough to run with bare feet? I was looking at the forecast morning temps of 65°F tomorrow at 7 AM and wondering. I know I can just try, but I wondered if anyone was willing to share their experiences with this.

I'm not sure exactly what my tolerances are, but there's definitely some summer days when it isn't feasible to run much past 10 am or noon. I think I'm good up into the 80s though. Sidewalks are a lot cooler than asphalt, just as in winter asphalt is a lot warmer than sidewalks. I think I may have overdone it a week or so ago without realizing it, but my soles were super sensitive afterwards and I may have had a mild blister on my left big toe. I would imagine one can build up their tolerances, but at some point the flesh will fry no matter what you do, right? Too bad no one wants to organize a Summer Challenge.

See also Ahcuah's latest post: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/the-seri-boot/

As some of you know I am NOT a morning runner, when temps reach that point I go as far as I can go and I might put some socks on or I called it quits, usually I wear socks cause I don't like to quit:D but I haven't done the socks thingy in a couple of years though. This year my very first run on hot pavement let me know that my feet weren't well conditioned for the hot pavement but my runs after that have been fine it amazes me how quick my feet adapt to just about anything.

How hot pavement will be is a tricky thing to predict. It depends on the surface, the material below the surface, the amount of exposure to the sun and the air temperature. There are probably other factors as well. As an example, some relatively narrow asphalt walking paths do not get as hot as the as the nearby roads. I suppose it has something to do with the differences in the thickness of the pavements, but possibly, the texture and surface as well. Many of the asphalt roads have been seal-coated many times, and so, they may have a completely different makeup from when the asphalt was first laid.

You would expect that the hottest surfaces would be those in the sun, but sometimes, a road or path only gets full exposure to the sun for a short time. Nearby buildings or trees may cast shadows, and perhaps, a pavement in the sunlight now, was previously shaded only moments ago. The centers of intersections are often far hotter than surrounding pavements, so, be careful about going diagonally across an intersection.

The reflectivity of the surface makes a huge difference, too. I say reflectivity, because sometimes color can be a little misleading. At crosswalks, I have found that the wide stripe painted to mark the crosswalk is much cooler. This, of course, depends on the line being there, and cars not being parked across it, waiting for the green.

The bottom line is, know the pavements around your neighborhood, and your running spots, really well. Barefoot running requires knowing your environment (at least the ground) much more thoroughly than other runners do. Of course, that's not a bad thing. I always thought that if more people went barefoot, that the ground (especially in cities) would stay much cleaner.

Reactions: happysongbird
How could I have forgotten this? Run in the rain. Not drenching downpours, that is, and be mindful of lightning. But there is nothing like running in a gentle summer rain, and not caring a wit about how wet you are getting.

The problem with that is that is not always raining when running, it'll be wonderful if we could just dialed up a shower because is my run time:D.
What I have experience as far as runing surfaces is that:
Smooth surface=hot
Dark surface=hotter than just smooth surface
Dark and Smooth surfaces=yikes! avoid it like the plague.

The problem with that is that is not always raining when running, it'll be wonderful if we could just dialed up a shower because is my run time:D.

Ahhh, yes. I certainly did not mean to imply that one could change the weather to suit their schedule. But the other way around could be managed, though. I have taken many unscheduled runs to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

What I have experience as far as runing surfaces is that:
Smooth surface=hot
Dark surface=hotter than just smooth surface
Dark and Smooth surfaces=yikes! avoid it like the plague.
yes, I had been noticing this

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ahhh, yes. I certainly did not mean to imply that one could change the weather to suit their schedule. But the other way around could be managed, though. I have taken many unscheduled runs to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

True dat in my case though is if I don't run at noon then I won't have time later.

As some of you know I am NOT a morning runner
Ah, but anything worth doing takes practice. One has to train, in order to be able to get up early. It takes a few weeks to adjust, just like when the clocks change in the spring. The first week or two are the worst.

I never imagined that I'd be getting up at 4 to hit the pool at 5, but it's great to start out the day by doing something good for myself.

One of my best runs was when I woke up early, and went for a run at 3am, not a soul in sight, no cars. Ran in the middle of the street, and the whole world was mine! (Actually, I think that I startled a pair of armadillos, but that was cool, too.)

Ran in the middle of the street, and the whole world was mine! (Actually, I think that I startled a pair of armadillos, but that was cool, too.)

Maybe not if you were one of the armadillos. :) Owning the world is a pretty cool feeling though, I'll agree with that. It's a bit like being the first person to put a footprint on the beach on a particular day.

In other words, I'll join the crowd recommending morning runs. Failing that, I'd be trying to survey your possible routes and find a 'safe' option for the hot days that will look after your feet a little better.

Ah, but anything worth doing takes practice. One has to train, in order to be able to get up early. It takes a few weeks to adjust, just like when the clocks change in the spring. The first week or two are the worst.

I never imagined that I'd be getting up at 4 to hit the pool at 5, but it's great to start out the day by doing something good for myself.

One of my best runs was when I woke up early, and went for a run at 3am, not a soul in sight, no cars. Ran in the middle of the street, and the whole world was mine! (Actually, I think that I startled a pair of armadillos, but that was cool, too.)

Oh, I have no problem getting up early since I am usually awake at 4:30/5:00 AM I just can't get my body to get moving at running speed and is not for lack of trying because I have. Couple of years ago running was my morning commute to work did I like it? no I did not. The other reason my runs are not enjoyable early morning is because mother nature likes to call me at the most incovenient times.;)

The other reason my runs are not enjoyable early morning is because mother nature likes to call me at the most incovenient times.;)
This is an issue for me, too. Even if I haven't eaten yet, I have to be up for about 2 hours before running for it to be "safe." Fortunately, there are outhouses on the loop I went to this morning!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon