Woohoo a huarache for idiots! And men who don't like lace.

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Check it out, I finally made some that I would want to run in. I may try to get some different strapping but maybe not these are pretty damn comfortable. Oh and the best part no flopping around. The sole holds real close to your feet which really helps me relax my feet, oh and did I mention you don't have to tie anything. The hippy effect is limited too since you don't have laces running up your leg and you can slip on and off pretty easily. All you need is some cheap strapping, 2 d-rings and some thread, a little work up front for a lot less hassle later on.

cbae970e-484a-4391-963d-91d7547904ed.Medium.jpg

Those kinda look like the

Those kinda look like the Unshoe huaraches.

Do you have a do-it-yourself step-by-step, preferably a video?

Yes they are, I stole and

Yes they are, I stole and improved on their idea. They only connect at 4 spots, mine does at 5 so it holds the sole to your foot better and it does not twist and move like the unshoe or other styles do.

Video? I just figured out how to turn on the camera.

Actually I'm making Sole_Foot a pair soon so I will do a diy guide then. With pics only.

Looking forward to it!

Looking forward to it!

I tried that same lacing

I tried that same lacing config over a month ago. I found that big toe, and next toe were spread out cause of the strap. Then the other four toes were scrunched together. Not a very nutural feeling for the toes. It puts some restriction on the 4 smaller toes from moving. Look how tight your 4 toes are now with the strap. That won't be very good for toe health. I tried it on a second set of material I had in stock. That lacing config works, but not optimal for 5 toe alignment.

I came up with another alternative. No lacing on toes whatsoever. Toes are completely free. Floppiness has never been a problem.

I also find that it takes a few runs to test new lacing configs. To figure out if the lace config is satisfactory, or not. As I have tried a few lacing config variations to experiement with in the early stages of using running sandals.

That is what my toes look

That is what my toes look like normally. And there is plenty of slack to let my feet expand naturally, that was one of my concerns too. Humboldt will you put a picture up of your tying method? Maybe I could borrow some tips. I can't access the video on your blog for some reason?

The one on the left is a little different than the right and it seems to work better. I ran in them this morning and they are nice, but I still rather go barefoot and took em off after a while. Nothing really compares. But walking in this config is easier too, so that's a plus because that was one of my biggest complaints with the floppage

Here is another question, who really uses your little toes anyway? They are pretty much useless, toe splay seems nice but kind of pointless. And your other toes are really only to provide balance, with correct running (COM over the ball) you shouldn't really need more than your big toe right?

Abide, I look forward to your

Abide, I look forward to your pics. I've been thinking about something to wear (other than VFFs) when the ground is too rough, and these look pretty good! Even if I just kept them tied to my belt, to wear when the ground got too rough. My VFFs feel too heavy when tied to my belt. Anyway, post 'em when you take 'em (please). Good job!

I want me some of those

I want me some of those huaraches!

Sorry Dama, I only have

Sorry Dama, I only have enough soling material for one more pair and Sole_foot won the contest. If I get some more I'll make you a pair.

Sweet, those look great. And

Sweet, those look great. And you could wear socks, very nice.

My only question is how do you keep your foot from sliding forward off the sole?

Well poo!Humbolt, nice

Well poo!

Humbolt, nice sandals do they slap while running?

Abide wrote:Sorry Dama, I

Abide said:
Sorry Dama, I only have enough soling material for one more pair and Sole_foot won the contest. If I get some more I'll make you a pair.

Well poo!

Humbolt, nice sandals do they slap while running?

Humbolt, I used your method

Humbolt,

I used your method for one of my pairs, with elastic laces and it has been my favorite so far. I have no slapping problem. My huaraches are just leather with Plastidip at the bottom. I want to make a more substantial pair with Vibram Cherry soon and I will use the same lacing.

I cannot stand the lace between the toes and the other 'alternate' method tends to rub on the side of my big toe.

I think the tying method and the hole placement depends greatly on the shape of the foot. We all have to experiement to find what works for us.

Well with the cherry I have

Well with the cherry I have not had any problem with foot sliding forward. Even though I run on wet trails, and go up/down steep hills this is not a problem. Though the cherry does have a anti slip characteristics on top. Some of the other materials do not have this characteristic. I believe you would loose that even further with a suede, or letaher footbed. From my experiments the anti slip material is very helpful with my tie method. With that said two things should happen. 1- it helps just in case to have a little extra soling material in front of your toe line (pic added to my previous link). 2- the lacing tightness needs to be correct.

So the lacing tightness. Once you have established the heel with a tight fit(but still able to slip foot in/out. You then have to get the mid foot X tightness proper. This will pull the heel lace tighter, and you just pull through all the excess lace at the front holes. Then sustain that tightness X back to top of heel, and tie off. Tightness should be balanced along all of the lacing. Sounds hard, but it is not in my experience.

Sure my foot moves a little bit on material with the trail running, but very little. It simply has not been a problem for me. Sometimes I even get mud between skin/material, and it is still OK. Just get 1, 2 above and should not be a problem. Just get the lacing nice, and tight. So it is snug to put in on your foot. This is key, but still nice and comfortable.

Video can be found here of the tie. Working off of two videos. However my video is not detailed with extra front soling material. Discussion on lace tightness. My video just gives general guidelines on what I did(the video plays fine for me by the way abide). Video 1 on above link does provide some detail on lace holes placement. Though you only need front/back holes if you use my method. My method only uses four holes as sonjabean method uses six holes.

This sandal stuff really requires self exploration to figure out what works best for a individual. It requires I find testing, modifications, adjustments, etc to get it right. Though I found for me it all fit together very quickly. My IS lacing strecthed over time which required tightening the slack at one point. I've noticed some people have patience with the sandals, and others do not.

Abide you could use injinji socks with your tie method. I'm more critical on the straps over the toes like you have it, but if it works for you that is all that matters. You should use that if it works for you, but yeah my method is a functional option as well if you get lacing holes correct, tightness, etc.

It sounds like you won't use them much anyway. I only use mine on gravel like trails. I don't run on streets. I just use a natural running gait on trails, and beach. No sandals used on the beach runs for me. So sounds like you don't need them, but maybe you like to experiment with the tie methods. Looking at your pic it looks like you could do my method with your existing holes, but I don't think that lacing you have would work as well. You don't have much extra material in front of toes, but I don't think it is needed if your just asphalt running. Just be sure to "lift" the feet as you run. Are you using the cherry, or some other soling material ?

Yeah I am using the vibram

Yeah I am using the vibram 4mm cherry, and it is very grippy as you say. I actually think it may be abrasive to your skin, that is why I am considering the suede.

You are exactly right though, it is all preference. I will try your method of tying one of these days and see how it works.

And Willie recommended removing any extra sole that is not needed. This helps keep some of the slapping down. I originally cut them a little large but have found out there is no reason.

I'm not a big fan split toe either but it is the only thing that seems to work for me?

Dama - no my sandals do not

Dama - no my sandals do not slap at all. Nor do my feet.

Soultre - glad to hear that tie method works for someone else as well. I don't plan to use the leather elastic laces, but it is good to hear a confirmation those can be used with this tie method.

Abide - Luna sandals sells the footbed material, and glue in the supplies section which can be found here. It might be a better deal though to just buy the full DYI kit. Which would give you a extra set of soling material, and lacing. So you may want to compare pricing glue/footbed vs. full DYI kit.

I got new laces from IS

I got new laces from IS yesterday, since my old ones wore through, and I used HE's tying method that was more tidy than the one before it, similar though. I ran with them today, and I can say, I found a tying method that doesn't rub or mess with my feet AND looks nicer.

My problem is, I still feel heavier when I run in them, and my arch muscles work a whole lot harder too. I can feel my arch muscles getting too much of a workout. As soon as I take off the huaraches (4mm), I start stepping lightly again, and the arch discomfort-pain goes away. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes I do, not the arch pain

Yes I do, not the arch pain but it is harder for my foot to relax so I feel it more in the lower limbs. It is why I like to run in my vff's more than huaraches, there is something about a close fit that helps my foot relax.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7