Why won't the newspaper reporter listen?

gokuflip

Barefooters
Oct 28, 2011
So my brother and I got interviewed by one of the local newspaper reporters about minimalist and barefoot running, he runs BF and I run in VFFs, and the guy asked a few questions about how we started and tips on how to run BF and in VFFs. We told him the normal stuff like take it real easy at the beginning, walk or run small distances to start with and if it starts hurting stop right away, the 10% rule. I told him about my injuries of having two calf strains by doing too much too soon. So after the interview was done I find out the next day the reporter decided he is going to run the local 5k this weekend barefoot! WTH! Did he not listen to a word I said? Now he'll probably write a negative article about barefoot running due to his inability to listen.

So my brother and I got interviewed by one of the local newspaper reporters about minimalist and barefoot running, he runs BF and I run in VFFs, and the guy asked a few questions about how we started and tips on how to run BF and in VFFs. We told him the normal stuff like take it real easy at the beginning, walk or run small distances to start with and if it starts hurting stop right away, the 10% rule. I told him about my injuries of having two calf strains by doing too much too soon. So after the interview was done I find out the next day the reporter decided he is going to run the local 5k this weekend barefoot! WTH! Did he not listen to a word I said? Now he'll probably write a negative article about barefoot running due to his inability to listen.
And he'll be writing it from urgent care after he sprains his ankle. :)

Reactions: gokuflip
I messaged him today and told him he's going to be in for some real pain the week after the 5k. He wrote back and told me that he ran BF yesterday for a quarter mile and that he felt fine and was going to go for a mile BF tonight!

LOL. Well, a quarter mile of "non-racing" is nothing compared to 3 miles of racing, and he's probably "lying" about feeling fine anyway. I bet he is running on his toes and his calves hurt. The excitement of "racing" is really going to do him in, too. What a dufus.

Reactions: gokuflip
Well, when he does write that negative article, you be sure and post a comment to it online, so everyone can see that you told him so. Of course, don't expect your comments to get posted, as he probably moderates his own articles.

Happened to me when I tried to correct a bunch of boo-boos written in an article about me. Other's posts were added, but for some strange reason (yea, right), mine was not.

I found out that this is the same reporter who ran the 5k last year and wrote a article about running a 5k race with no training. Oh man I wonder what he'll write about BF running. I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

@JlDeleon: I've did a 5k once before I was ready and ran well for the first mile but after that I was walking gingerly having everybody who I passed pass me. Worst feeling ever!

Reactions: jldeleon
Now see there. That's bad representing. Hee. Teasing.

So maybe the thick headed reporter will try a quick 2.5 miler before the 5k and get sore enough/blistered enough to give up. Probably not, though, but you tried.

Yes. :(

Either, or both. The trend seems to be that they align with the organizations that support their beliefs, then join the organizations in advancing those beliefs through "journalism" of whatever stripe they (and their chosen/admired organization/corporation) believe. Fox News draws the few conservatives, and the rest go everywhere else. I do have to say, though, that CNN has gone from being the Clinton News Network back in the 90s to being one of the better balanced of the liberal-slanting mass media. I just want the news, not somebody's spin on it. I can think at least reasonably well enough for myself to draw my own conclusions. Unfortunately those days of journalism in the truest sense of reporting the facts seem to be relegated to history as "news" has become primarily entertainment-oriented.

I actually had a good article written about me a few years ago.

Here's pg. 1 starts bottom of page
Here's pg. 2 rest of article and "ask the athlete"

That's bad representing of how journalism is supposed to be done

Fixed your post! ;)

By the way, who winks like that emoticon? And, no TJ and Matt, I don't think it needs to be fixed... Maybe the unorthodox wink should be our form of the secret handshake. That way we can follow the advice of Great Britain's Olympic physician. Thanks to Luis on the Huarache group for pointing this out to me.

The newspaper reporter did come back for my groups Wednesday runs and this time in running clothes. We again told him the correct way to transition into barefooting was to take it slowly and to stop once any inklings of pain started. He told me that he ran a mile yesterday and despite some heel pain from landing with his heels he was fine and had no calf pain and he wanted to run 2 miles tonight. We gave him some more tips on how he should be landing and told him again to stop if he had any pain and then we went on our run. He ended up running in socks for some protection and his landing wasn't too bad to start off with as we were pacing another runner, at about a 10 min/mi pace. Found out during the run that he was a runner himself and had run a few half marathons and runs 20 -25 miles a week. However at the end of the 2nd mile I was hearing this sharp knocking noise and I looked down at his landing and it was a horrible, made me cringe, heel strike which was so loud you could hear the heel to concrete contact with each step. I mentioned it to him about his heelstriking but he said he was fine and we ended up finishing the run which was a total of 3.5 miles. We told him that his article should have a disclaimer about the way he is going about it should not be done and we hope people follow the correct way to transition. He'll probably finish the race this Saturday but if he continues to run like he'll be injured in no time.

Wow, no matter how tired I've gotten I've never been able to heel strike barefoot. I've tried it once just to see and it hurt so bad it never happened again. Lol!

I like how they talk to an orthopedic surgeon who talks about heel striking and stress fractures and he's never ran barefoot in his life! I'll have to buy the paper today to see what else they wrote.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon