Who else has a hard time skipping scheduled runs?

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I was going to run tonight, but I'm going to skip it. Not reschedule it, not shorten it--SKIP it. I haven't done that in months.

The ragweed levels today are the highest they've been since a local TV station started measuring them in 1997...something I could have (hoarsely) told them. I'm not sick, but I'm hoarse and my energy isn't the greatest. I could totally run, but I'm not going to.

The main reason is because I think I need to prove to myself that the universe won't implode if I skip a run. I've gotten compulsive about not skipping runs. I have a strict schedule to get myself to my first half marathon on 12/5, and I've considered each run to be too important to skip.

But you know what? That's really not a healthy way to think. My running schedule is conservative enough that if I skip today and go back to my normal schedule afterward, I'm not going to suddenly get injured because my mileage jumps too much next week. That whole 10% guideline is a great one, but breaking it next week won't hurt me. It might even help me because I'll be giving my joints, muscles, tendons, and bones a longer break than they've had in a long time (no runs between my Tuesday run and upcoming Saturday run.)

I've been afraid that if I skipped once it would become too easy to do it later. But I've got to find a balance. I need to be able to listen to my body enough that I can be flexible...that's how injury and sickness are prevented. I don't think that slacking off tonight will make me want to start skipping runs every week; I love running too much. But maybe slacking off tonight will make my whole body healthier, and that's one of the purposes of this running thing anyway.

Sounds to me like yo have a

Sounds to me like yo have a healthy perspective and need a day off!

I caught some surf this evening!! We got some swell from that storm system that just went by. Had some clean, long peeling lines, waist to chest high.

Surfed my favorite spot from about 4pm-5:30pm and I'm beat!!

Hope you feel better and have a nice evening.

When you're increasing

When you're increasing mileage or speed, the ability to skip a run is probably the most important one you could have. Could you please send some of your discipline my way since my problem seems to be the opposite lately, I skip more runs than I execute. If we mix my skipping ability with your abiliy to stick to the schedule we should find a pretty nice balance, I think...

I'm not sure if I'm even

I'm not sure if I'm even gonna go back to scheduling runs at all. Ever since I started barefooting I just go out when I have the impulse to go on a run, which is pretty often. I think its making me enjoy my runs even more because instead of thinking "Ughhhh... I have to go running!" I'm thinkin "Ughh... what I need is a good run!" Instead of a source of stress (not that they were ever all that stressful, but a little sometimes) they've become my source of stress relief. I should probably be going on more runs than I am to stay in shape, but for now its all working out. I'll just have to start remembering to get all my homework done so I can go on longer runs. (See, I'm even willing to do my homework so I can go out for a run!)

If you do skip runs though, don't try to make it up, at least not if it puts way more mileage in way less time than your used to. Thats how I ended up running 70 miles in 4 days this summer, instead of spread out over the whole week. That caused me to not be able to run in shoes at all, which I guess wasn't such a bad thing, since now I'm always barefoot.

I found I had that problem

I found I had that problem for most of 2009 and early 2010. Ever since I decided to do a marathon. I hated to miss any of my scheduled runs, and it became a habit.

I did the marathon in April, and after that, forced my self to stop stressing about my schedule. It was tough at first, but now that I'm used to it, running has become much more enjoyable, without the guilt if I choose to skip a run because I "just don't feel like it today".

-marc

I skip about 25% of my

I skip about 25% of my scheduled solo runs. Sometimes it has to do with scheduling conflicts, but most of the time I'm just not feeling it. I used to stress about it... I felt as if I were a lazy failure. Eventually I got into the habit of noting my mood and physical state around the times I felt unmotivated. I came to the realization that I was usually overtraining and/or on the verge of some sort of sickness.

I ran for many years because

I ran for many years because I had to as a soldier to always stay ready. It became a habit, and it's still the quickest, cheapest, most resource-free aerobic exercise you can do. As running goes from being a necessary evil to something I actually enjoy doing barefoot, it's becoming easiER (although not yet easy) to allow a skip without feeling obligated to fill the gap with an elliptical jaunt or something else aerobic. It can be healthy to skip a run on occasion when you're not feeling it. Another alternative to help me feel more like running more often is to do my level best to run with some other fool who wouldn't go on his own.

It sounds like you've got a good mindset and a good plan on your own; just sharing another perspective.

Skipping ended up being just

Skipping ended up being just the thing to do last night. Relaxing evening, great night's sleep. And I've got a bit of foot soreness I probably shouldn't run on anyway, so this gives a bit of extra time for that to resolve itself. I don't want to make a habit of skipping, but I'm glad I let myself do it last night, and I'll try to continue to let myself skip when I need to.

I've been running three years

I've been running three years as a previously completely unathletic person. I have never done a run I have not wanted to do. It has not prevented me from training to my satusfaction (or overtraining, unfortunately :)). If it's not the right day, I know it will mean a stronger run the next time. I never stress about this - I like running.

You know one reason y'all

You know one reason y'all stress about missing a run could also be due to the endorphin rush you get from it. I'm sure you've all heard about the biochemical effect exercise of almost any kind can have on the brain. Which is why people fighting depression are encouraged to get regular exercise.

Got my endorphin rush this morning from another surf session.

Woooohoooo!! :party:

It's very hard for me to skip

It's very hard for me to skip days when I really want to run and have extra time. But, it seems like the transition to barefoot has caused such major readjustments in my body that as one area stops hurting, another flares up and knocks me back a day or several. Sometimes I really wonder if it's all worth it- today my feet are tender and the ball of my right has a big 'ol blood blister and all I want to do when I get off work is run a few more miles but I shouldn't. I'm having to learn patience and limits in a way I never did before!

Twinkle,Welcome to BFR.

Twinkle,

Welcome to BFR. ;) Running bf has taught me patience, if nothing else. Or, actually, it has taught me what happens if I'm "not" patient. As you can see, everyone's transition timeframe is different. So just relax, take your time, and enjoy the journey. But remember, it is "your" journey. So do what works for you.

Adam, that's one of my

Adam, that's one of my favorite photos. I wish I knew more about that guy.

I feel like Jason does about

I feel like Jason does about it. It really sucks when you can't run for weeks though. Knowing this, I don't sweat the occasional missed runs anymore.

Beth, glad you took the night

Beth, glad you took the night off. I do this on occasion as well.

Funny though, I never thought of "planning on running" as a "scheduled run". By this I mean we have small children so I have to tell my husband (who also runs) that I am "planning on running tonight" so we can coordinate who goes first. Neither of us really schedule a distance but he runs at least 6.4m and I'm at about 4m unless I do the whole thing BFR (then it's only 2.5-3m). I guess these are the same thing as "scheduled" but that sounds so..."required"! :)

Neither of us race much, though, so we don't do a lot of what you'd call "training", either. We just run to stay healthy and because we enjoy it (and it allows me to eat almost anything I want, ha-ha).

I have to admit though, when I don't run, I get really ornery because I miss the endorphins. I'm definitely an addict!

I was that way at first, when

I was that way at first, when I first started running and first started barefoot running. Now, I'm a little more laid back about it, though still have to work hard at making those runs happen (wish it weren't so hard, though with 3 kids, teaching 7 fitness classes a week, house painting and all of everythign else domestic), working on the BRS store, volunteering in kids classes, appts, hubby who works overnights and commutes 3hrs a day) etc etc etc...it's easy to say that life gets in the way sometimes. Though I work hard at making them happen, as long as you have an alternative, or plan B it's OK to miss a run here and there, or reschedule. The main thing is that, you keep your mind focused on the fact that it happens because you MAKE it happen and that sometimes, it just doesn't happen exactly when you planned it. How's that for mouthful? :p

The body does what the mind

The body does what the mind tells it. If you are going to do something, make sure your spirit is willing to back you on it. Otherwise, there is not benefit and it could actually be harmful, both physically and psychologically.

Good point, Shacky.  I've

Good point, Shacky. I've gotten out to my car, dressed (unshod) and all ready to go, then said screw this, I'm taking a nap!