Which minimalist shoe for kids?

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
I read the ticking time bomb article and it just reinforced what I've thought for a while now. When my 7yr old daughter runs barefoot, it's poetry...when she runs in the tennis shoes her Mom got her, it's Frankenstein! IF you can even get shoes on my 4yr old son, it's gotta be his loose fitting crocks, but they seem to let him run pretty much the same as no shoes. I've seen him use the bottom of his foot as a Flinstone brake when riding his scooter at top speed! LOL

I wanted to get them some shoes for when they have to wear them, school, daycare, bike riding, etc. They want some VFFs, but I can see them getting frustrated trying to get the toes in and never wearing them again although my son's feet look like they may have modeled the Vibrams after him...perfect toes and foot shape, etc.

So what would work best to keep the most natural movement, but still hold up?

Merrells?

I'm not even sure what else is out there that I could take them to try on...

Any help would be great, Thanks!

-Jonny

I've seen him use the bottom

I've seen him use the bottom of his foot as a Flinstone brake when riding his scooter at top speed!

Hahahahahahaha!

There's a few good threads on this subject floating around. VFFs have kids' sizes now, water shoes from Walmart (or any source) are always a good option, and RunAmoc has some kid's shoes that are really healthy choices.

I imagine it doesnt get too

I imagine it doesnt get too cold in texas so I would see if they like any of the huarache styles. VFFs need to fit really well and a 4 year old would go through new pairs like candy. Kids might even enjoy making their own and customizing them - buy some vibram cherry 6mm and some pretty pink laces :p

I think the Merrells are

I think the Merrells are great shoes, especially if your kid might damage the footwear.

In addition to the Vibrams that TJ mentioned, also take a look at Terra Plana and Softstar. They both make great shoes for kids. I have a pair of Softstar shoes for my daughter that she really loves.

I was wrestling with this

I was wrestling with this same issue. I recently bought my 10 yr old daughter a pair of women's Merrell Pace Gloves. She loves them and they are exceptionally tough shoes. My son (also 10), whose foot is not as big as his sister's, is doing well in a pair of the kid's versions of the Trail Glove. I'm not thrilled with the velcro closure, since I think it assumes older kids are retards and can't tie their shoes, but he is enjoying the shoe itself. Not quite as well made as the adult shoes but considerably cheaper. They also each have a pair of Invisible Shoes that I cut for them about 9 months ago. They really enjoy those.

I have a pair of the men's Trail Gloves that I use for tough trails and really enjoy them. Very well made. I think when my daughter out grows hers I'll just clean them up and resell them since I'm pretty sure they'll still be in great shape.

Warren

My 6-year old was fascinated

My 6-year old was fascinated with the huaraches I made, and insisted he make a pair himself out of an old camping pad. He likes all the ways of tying them.

I may try the Merrell or the

I may try the Merrell or the VivoBarefoot for my kids in the Fall. Right now they are very happy with their Jingas.

Comverse are not super minimalist but I consider them a reasonable option.

stomper wrote:My 6-year old

stomper said:
My 6-year old was fascinated with the huaraches I made, and insisted he make a pair himself out of an old camping pad. He likes all the ways of tying them.

I'd be interested in learning how to make something like this... I think someone said something about making an "invisible shoe", also?? If anyone has a link to a "how to" and suggestions on material to use, that would be awesome!

I ended up getting some cheap, mostly flat water shoes at Wal-Mart for $7. If they do well in those, I'll step them up to a more expensive minimalist shoe, but I think them helping me make them a pair of Huaraches would be a really cool family project!

-Jonny

PS: Found this: http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches/ I'll give it a shot! Still could use some recomendations for sole material...not sure where to get Vibrams Cherry...

stomper wrote:My 6-year old

stomper said:

Camping pad? I'd be more interested in some material I can buy local than ordering a pre-made kit. I think this would be a fun project for the family. Letting the kids pick out some crazy laces and showing them how to tie them (once I learn), would be cool!

-Jonny

Think I saw a thread about a

Think I saw a thread about a guy using a more elastic cord he got from a boating kayak shop. That seems like it would work really well for the slip on/off tieing method. Branca looks really cool too! I can see the kids picking theirs out being fun and they can larn a little patience while it ships. Then again...I'm not a huge fan of patience and $30 seems a bit high for soles and laces! LOL!!

-Jonny

Try your local craft store. 

Try your local craft store. I know Hobby Lobby sells the Vibram sheets. I'm not sure about Michael's, but you could always call ahead. Take lots of pictures. You guys have inspired me. I think I will make this a DIY for my kids to make too!

Excellent advice on the

Excellent advice on the materials, Sloutre! I would never have thought of that!

Do you want a cheap solution

Do you want a cheap solution for the kid huaraches?

Ikea placemats, or other rubbery placemats, are soft and easy to work with. They may not last super long but enough to make a wearable prototype and wear it for a few month.

My huaraches are made from a thick leather bag from the thrift store, with the bottom painted with Plastidip to prevent the leather from breaking down on wet surfaces. But I understand they don't offer enough protection for most runners, they are too thin, that's how I like them.

I bought elastic laces from Sport Authority. At $5 a pair I think they are overpriced but still affordable.

I like both the alternate tying method, or the alt-alternate tying method: http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/invisible-shoe-alternative-alt-tie-method

Barefoot TJ wrote:Try your

Barefoot TJ said:
Try your local craft store. I know Hobby Lobby sells the Vibram sheets. I'm not sure about Michael's, but you could always call ahead. Take lots of pictures. You guys have inspired me. I think I will make this a DIY for my kids to make too!

I'm not seeing the Vibram Cherry in the Hobby Lobby online store. Any idea which dept this would be in or what they might call it? I'll give the local store a call, but based on the reviews of the staff, I'm not expecting much help there! LOL

-Jonny

No, sorry, I have no idea

No, sorry, I have no idea what section of the store. I've heard others say they got it there. If you find out, please let us know.

I just made a second pair of

I just made a second pair of huarache's for me and a pair for my 7 year old. Someone was throwing away an old tire and its really not hard to get the ruber off. Just use a really sharp utility knife and some patience. Dont try cutting the rubber with power tools or it will start smoking and thats just bad ju ju. It took me an hour and a half to strip the entire tire which is enough for a couple adult pairs and a child.

I figure if the indians do it with this material and run WAY better than I do than i can at least try their method.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts