What to look for in a shoe?

fishugly

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2011
Sorry if this has already been covered. With a quick search, I did not see what I was looking for.

At any rate, I do not run anymore but I am keenly interested in going barefoot as often as possible (including hiking/backpacking). For those times when going barefoot is not practical though, I want a pair of shoes that will promote good health. When I go shopping for a pair (aren't many "barefoot" shoes available in my area), what do I look for in terms of fit, shape, size, etc?

(just so you know, I'm not familiar with foot terminology so explanations, if needed, would be helpful)

Thanks!

Fishugly (I love that name!),

Fishugly (I love that name!), look at the Product Reviews section at the top. In there are some of the most popular minimalist shoes out there. Also, you will find ratings for different features of the shoes (zero-drop, weight, toe box, etc.), so you can get an idea of what attributes can or should be expected in a minshoe.

Have you thought about huaraches for walking and hiking?

I would look for a good

I would look for a good return policy.

I bought shoes twice this year and the first pair felt great in the store, great during my first run, but was too small for my long run (I ran 5 miles barefoot, then put on my new Merrell Pace Glove for another 5 and was uncomfortable). Even if you don't plan to run in shoes the same thing can happen with walking, it takes time to find out if a shoe is really comfortable.

REI took my shoes back with no questions and tried to help me find a model or size that worked better for me. I ended up with the Merrell a full size larger and I'm so happy.

I recently purchases a pair of Luna Sandals, and I was really concerned about rubbing between the toes but so far they are great for running and walking. I have 30 days to fully test them and get a refund if they don't work for me. I would hate to have to return them but I think it's important to have the option.

I prefer being barefoot but I love both the Merrell and the Lunas. They serve different purposes I think, it's how I justtify having both, but they both work well with my type of feet and program.

There was a thread a while ago in which people indicated what were important characteristics for a minimalist shoe:

http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/draft-proposed-brs-standard-minimal-running-shoes-please-weigh

I look for shoes that are as

I look for shoes that are as close as possible to the flexibility, security and fit, of self-made, 4mm, single-layer huaraches (but still compatible with wool socks), that are also ventilated and quick-drying. So far there isn't any shoe even close to meeting that criteria list. Leather doesn't ventilate and it takes a long time to dry (wool/felt would be a great alternative for the shoe's upper but, no one is offering it, save for a batch of original model VFFs). Every shoe available (other than VFFs) still includes a badly shaped toebox, brought over from conventional shoe design, which puts horrible pressure on the big toe by squeezing it into its neighbor. The only shoe that I would consider right now is one that just came on the market - the Adam/Eve by Altra. Even that one might not be optimal in toebox shape but, it's still better than anything else out there. Try them on, both BF and with the wool socks that you plan to wear with them.

The shoe I've been using for the past two winters is the Feelmax Osma. It's got good ventilation, dries well and has more toe-room than almost everything (other than the Altra Adam/Eve) but, the flexibility is nowhere near what I want (its sole is curved upward and doesn't flex downward at all).

I tried the Adam, and for me

I tried the Adam, and for me it was almost perfect. They have a velcro strap that goes over the toes, and for me the part that the strap goes through over the pinky toe causes a ton of friction. They have a model coming out in spring 2012 (assuming they don't bump release date) that will have laces instead of the velcro and hopefully this will eliminate this problem.

NickW, is the Adam you tried

NickW, is the Adam you tried one of the test models or is it of the final production that are being sold?

Nyah, it was one of the final

Nyah, it was one of the final models that was being sold in a local store. I loved how wide it was, how thin and flexible(reminded me of a vff), but I just couldn't get over the stupid strap connecter piece. I am really picky though on shoes, so maybe it won't bother others like it did me. Any undue friction on my feet and I get blisters. I ran a couple laps around the store in them and I felt what seemed like a friction burn developing which was an immediate no go for me. I believe that saypay is going to be reviewing those at some time, although not sure when. He has narrow feet from what he says on his website, so maybe that strap won't bother him like it did me. I hear the softstar shoes are great also, but I don't know where to get them other than ordering them online, and I have a thing about ordering shoes online because of sizing problems and returns and whatnot.

Thanks, everyone! It's cool

Thanks, everyone! It's cool how helpful everyone is here.

Re the name "fishugly", thanks, Barefoot TJ. Coyote Ugly was the original inspiration which was applied to a fish sculpture I did yrs ago.

Seems there are too many choices but few to choose from without resorting to mailorder. And as Nick W, I am picky with my shoe and do not want to go through the ordering/sending back process.

SaraLord - I have been intrigued by the Soft Star company (USA made, chem free leather, etc) since I began looking into minimal shoes. Do you have any experience with the Dash?

Sloutre - for a sandle, the Lunas are appealing to me. But the cost, for something so simple, seems excessive. The "kit" brings it to a slightly more resonable level but I'm not keen to have the knot sticking on the bottom as opposed to being flush with the sole. At any rate, they remind me a bit of some Native American sandals I replicated a few yrs ago. Check'em out towards the bottom right of the following page: www.earthenexposure.com/primitivetechnology/misc.htm (not trying to pimp my site. Just don't have any other pics at the moment).

Another poster, in another thread, mentioned Feiyue martial art shoes. I see that they can be had for $15 which, is a bit difficult to ignore...particularly if I have to order. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks again, everyone. Looking forward to more insight/thoughts/ideas.

I tried a pair of Feiyue a

I tried a pair of Feiyue a while ago and they felt heavy and gave me blisters.

I love the sandals on your site, they look like they would feel warm in the winter. I made a pair of huaraches with a piece of 1 mm leather salvaged from a old bag and the knot sticking out bothered me like you said. On the Lunas the material is so thick that the knot sinks in. Now Luna also offers a new lace "This system uses a plug that is countersunk, making it completely level with the bottom of the sandal. The ribbon between the toes allows for even the narrowest toe gaps to be comfortable, eliminating the need to use a narrower lace."

You could also get Vivobarefoot shoes. They are a little expensive but excellent quality. I bought a pair for my son on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/terraplana254). They were a little cheaper than usual so I think they may be last year's model.

Thanks for the info, Sloutre.

Thanks for the info, Sloutre. As far as I've been able to tell from their website, the Luna kit doesn't have the countersunk knot. I could have missed something though.

Re my rawhide sandals, from the info I have been able to gleen, the Dieguenos didn't leave the hair on. It saves a lot of work though and I thought it would provide more cushion and warmth. They are quite comfy but are slick as snot on some surfaces. They also get a lot of attention in public places which I don't really care for. Durability depends on which part of the animals body the hide came from.

I'm not sure it applies to

I'm not sure it applies to the type of leather you used but my experience with leather outsoles on my first huaraches was that they get ruined very quickly in the rain. The leather becomes soft and my poor form caused extra friction that destroyed the sandal like it was cardboard.

The solution I used was to apply a couple of coats of plastidip on the sole. I don't know if there is a natural/traditionnal way to condition the leather to make it more resistant to wet+abrasion.

Being slick is not a bad thing when learning to run, it forces you to not push off, but I see that it could be quite inconvenient for casual wear.

I just got a newsletter from

I just got a newsletter from Luna the other day, and it showed the new construction has a rubber tip over the knot that when pulled through the sole, counter-sinks to make the bottom of the sole flush. I guess the eliminates that knot under the foot feeling.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7