What non running lesson has BFR running taught you?

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Help me with an upcoming article.

List what lessons, not related to running or exercise, that BFR has taught you. Be wordy and specific. Use hippy talk if you like.

Example: I have always been a somewhat impatient person. BFR taught me to be patient and realize that I have all the time in the world to get things done. The best goals in the world are of the 'bonzai' variety and take time blah blah blah.

Thanks in advance!

I wrote a couple blog posts

I wrote a couple blog posts about this in the past, and let me see if I can recall some of my thoughts on this topic.

I think Barefoot Running is just the tip of the iceberg of something much bigger. I was a full-blown believe in the power and the need for running shoes. But I think there is an underlying belief system going on here. People are inherently weak and flawed, and that only through technology can we overcome these obvious flaws.

Now, I see that's a bunch of B.S.

And I think there are a lot things in our lives that are similar to running shoes. Things we think we need, but in fact, these things only make us weaker.

Running barefoot has taught

Running barefoot has taught me to be more understanding and accepting of those things I am unfamiliar with. Sitting in judgement by my shod running peers has taught me to not behave as they do. Don't preach; instead, support. Step ahead of the crowd, stand tall, and be proud of who you are.

So far, we have two

So far, we have two responses. Step up people, lest I conclude BFR is just a fad!

I agree.  I thought this

I agree. I thought this topic would get a really big response.

Barefoot running forces patience upon me. It's really hard to go too far when you are running barefoot, because your feet will rebel and force you to call it quits.

For example, my brain wants to run 8 miles later this morning, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if my feet tell me that's not in the cards today.

Be skeptical and question

Be skeptical and question things you accept as fact or common sense without much thought. Four years ago, if you asked me about running in motion control shoes, I would tell you, "well duh, for someone like me with over-pronation, of course I need them."

Now, when a friend or family member talks to me about running shoes and why most people "need them", I ask them what evidence they have that those shoes are effective at all in reducing injury rates and then show them the mounting number of studies suggesting that the opposite is true. If someone is making claims about what you need and they have a financial interest in giving you the treatment - don't automatically dismiss them, but investigate the evidence and make the decision for yourself!

The other thing, of course, is that patience and persistance yield great rewards. It took me a while to make the transition, forget old habits, and re-learn proper running form. Take the time and the effort and good things will come. No one ever achieved their goals overnight.

Trying BFR has reminded

Trying BFR has reminded me that it's best to overcome others skepticism of something new or different by being a good example rather than through discussion - no matter how logical or convincing you think your evidence is.

Several friends and coworkers - whom I've greeted while running on the streets and trails for years - told me how nuts they thought I was for leaving my shoes behind. In the past year, they've seen me continue with it and most have, at one time or another, stopped and discussed it with me at least long enough for me to explain why I started to begin with. I think at first they were watching just to see how long I would last. Now they accept that it's the way I'm going to run, and we wave and say "hi", just like it used to be. Except now, I'm that odd-ball running without shoes, but hey! It works for me, and they're fine with that. The other day, a co-worker greeted me on the trail with, "Here's our local Tarahumara runner!" That was a cool complement, I thought.

This might sound like I'm

This might sound like I'm reading too much into it, but BFR has taught me that discomfort (those first lovely steps taken wincingly on sidewalk and trails...those arch bruises from stepping on rocks...) can lead to some of the greatest experiences in life.

I'm finding that the more difficulty I encounter on the road, the stronger my feet become.

Sometimes you have to feel the punishment of the earth to gain the full enjoyment of the earth, I think. Such is life. The hardest stuff is always worth it. I know barefooting has taught me to take the uncomfortable experiences and grow stronger from them.

Barefoot running has given me

Barefoot running has given me more confidence!

There's nothing like being a shy person and having 100's of people stare at you before a race. Not a problem any more though.

+1 to everything that's been

+1 to everything that's been said so far, especially ...

Barefoot Mary said:
This might sound like I'm reading too much into it, but BFR has taught me that discomfort (those first lovely steps taken wincingly on sidewalk and trails...those arch bruises from stepping on rocks...) can lead to some of the greatest experiences in life.

Now I think that's a lesson you can definitely take elsewhere.

But it's not blasting through discomfort thoughtlessly. It's kind of seeing what the discomfort has to teach you. It's being open to what's happening around you and to you rather than just driving through a program of activities because it seems like a good idea.

You definitely can't blast through a gravel field. You have to figure out how to do it. You start out with respect for the gravel, and you end up with a bit more respect for your own skills (or vulnerability).

I think next time I have to deal with a difficult person or situation, I might take on some of that same approach, instead of cowering or bullying my way through it. :)

I agree with everything that

I agree with everything that has been said.

The most important thing I would say I have learned from barefoot running is to question knowledge. Especially knowledge which you accept merely because it is what you have always been taught. Just because you are taught something, and everyone else believes it too, does not necessarily mean it is correct. The same goes with traditional ideas and "common sense". Just because it might sound correct on the surface, does not mean it is right or best. Unless you figure it out for yourself and find the real facts, then you can know what is right. I have learned to challenge the line between what seems right on the surface and what could be even better (or righter :p).

Another incredible thing that I am thankful to learn from barefoot running is to take everything in, and take my time. Sometimes it is easy to go on cruise control in life - To get outta bed in the morning, slog through a day of working, and plop down and watch tv - simply go through the motions. I have learned to appreciate the beauty and entirety of everything around me. I am realizing that there is nothing wrong with taking my time or slowing down. Being a young person it is a great lesson to learn, when people around my age are trying to go fast fast fast, and work hard hard hard. Take your time and take it all in, that's the best. It really adds a spiritual experience to life.

Now I have learned to wake up in the morning and look out the window at the sun shining. Instead of trying to push myself hard, I try to work with my body and mind through my experiences. It's about understanding that there is a time for everything - a time for going fast, and times where you slow down. I am beginning to let things happen when the time is right - not forcing things to happen. I am learning to not just go down the main path I always go on, but sometimes stop and think "Where is there to go? Where can I go? How else can I do this? What am I capable of?".

Barefoot running is a learning experience you can have for virtually your whole lifetime. It gives you a sense of being new, and it teaches you to be in touch with all parts of life - within you and around you.

I learned that defining

I learned that defining moments can be unexpected ones. My defining barefoot moments:

-walking barefoot to neighbor's house as a kid and feeling my first embarrassment because barefoot

-on a hike with a friend almost 20 years ago, getting to a creek and freaking out about walking barefoot over the rocks with friend telling me how I need to get used to it over time but it's possible to get tough

- saying to hubby after finding barefoot running website in 2005 while researching shoes "well, if shoes don't work out, I can always go barefoot" - truer words were never spoken

Nicely said all. My greatest

Nicely said all.

My greatest "lesson" deals with my connection with nature. With shoes on you feel such a disconnect with the world around you, kind of like you are just passing through nature from one man-made institution or structure to another. I now feel so connected to the planet, like I am moving with nature because I can feel it with every step. That just gives me a greater respect for the world we live in, both man-made and natural.

There is more than one way to

There is more than one way to do everything and just because everyone is doing it one way, it is still healthy to question why and is it really the right way.

In all honesty, I like this

In all honesty, I like this post and I look forward to reading your article.

Now to answer your question: What BFR has taught me is patience and to find the beauty in all things. It has also taught me persistance and fortitude. BFR is something we need to be patient with and persistant with in order to get better at what we do and how we do it. It has shown me beauty through how simply and painless a human can run without anything. And finally, a true BFR knows that you need fortitude through running barefoot.

I would be happy to possibly

I would be happy to possibly share your article on the BRS's home page too, if you send it to me first. :tongue:

Barefoot TJ wrote:I would be

Barefoot TJ said:
I would be happy to possibly share your article on the BRS's home page too, if you send it to me first. :tongue:
can do!

Great!  Thanks bunches!

Great! Thanks bunches!

As I mentioned somewhere

As I mentioned somewhere else, I've learned to be more aware of my self, others, and my suroundings after begining to BFR. I no longer am trapped by music when I run (even though it is my profession) and my mind has come up with some great things. Also I am surprised at the things I notice about the world I run in, with complete contrast to the same exact streets and paths I ran last year in shoes.

I've also learned to respect nature more and more each day, and how which rocks I can step on and which to run around!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon