what I've been doing instead of running...

farmershort

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2011
so, harking back to an old thread:

http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/getting-frustrated-injury-related.7301/#post-76905

This shows that I've not been running (at all) since the first week of august this year! :(

I've been trying to keep my fitness up using the bike at the gym, and a bit of steep uphill walking on the treadmill... sorry, I digress...

so, whilst I've not been running, I've been continuing with 2 things which may be quite important... equally, they may turn out to be gash...

1) I've been continuing my yoga practice. I attend a challenging class at least once a week, normally twice. I also do 10 - 20 minutes of sun salutations every weekday morning (followed by medidation).

2) I've been walking everywhere in my terra plana aquas.

now, I've not been covering a lot of miles or anything, but I reckon that spending a good stint of time simply "living" in the terra plana's might have gone some way to helping to strengthen my foot muscles. I always used to get a bit of heel pain with walking in min shoes (or barefoot), which I put down to impact damage... it certainly felt like impact pain anyway.

I'm now wondering whether I should start building up the BFR again, or whether I should continue as I am for longer - perhaps through until next spring? This is probably also part lethargy & fear... everyone get's a bit "anti running" in the winter (cosy time!), but also, my feet get cold very quickly - a bit of problem when you don't live in SoCal!

Any thoughts / advice?

Thanks

Adam

Hmmm...getting cold up your way now. I would still vote for just going barefoot as much as possible (fully barefoot) even in the cold. It took me about two weeks to acclimate to the cold this past winter and then something 'clicked' and my feet ceased to behave like icicles. Get true BF living right without pain and then start with concerted walking for a good stretch of weeks and then bleed in the running slowly.

Just my 2c.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon