What is this dude doing?

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
In the area I run in there is another guy that runs barefoot. But he always has his arms flying all over the place with his hands doing a sort of "jazz finger" thing. Oh his posture is like ramrod straight. I tried to figure out if this was some crazy technique but no luck. The first few times I saw him he was running down a hill so I thought he was just trying to keep balance and honestly its sort of painful to run down so maybe this helped. Since then though I've seen him on flat easy running surfaces and he's always doing the same thing. I'd ask him but if he just runs funny I'd feel bad for embarrassing him. I thought maybe someone here had heard of something like this?

I tried to figure out if this

I tried to figure out if this was some crazy technique but no luck.

Now that right there is funny!

Maybe he has some carpal

Maybe he has some carpal tunnel problem or something else making his fingers numb and he shakes them to recover feeling.

It happens to me sometimes when my back is tense. The pressure doesn't come from the wrist as it's usually the case with carpal tunnel syndrome, but the symptoms are the same.

Or maybe he's listening to music and pretends to play it on an imaginary instrument.

Chances are he's just runnign funny.

Haha, thats pretty funny. I

Haha, thats pretty funny. I bet he just runs weird. My arms kinda flap when I'm going down hill, which always make me feel silly, but being silly is pretty fun, so its all good.

Some people just run funny, like one of my freinds who runs with limp wrists and as a result he looks like some kind of "special" dinosaur.

sloutre wrote:Or maybe he's

sloutre said:
Or maybe he's listening to music and pretends to play it on an imaginary instrument.

This is possible, when I ran with an ipod I played the drums for all my runs, I'm sure I looked similiar to this guy. Hmmm, maybe this is why no one wants to run with me.

ok well I'm super glad I

:lol: ok well I'm super glad I didn't ever ask him then since this does not appear to be an accepted running thing. I really thought it was a possibility. Afterall a few months ago I would of thought he was a little crazy just for running barefoot.

I see this guy where I run

I see this guy where I run who counts his cadence on his arm. He swings just one arm fully forward and fully backqard. It's quite dramatic. It took me a few times seeing him running that way to figure out what he was doing.

Reading this post is cracking

Reading this post is cracking me up because not only can I picture this guy, I've probably looked like him! I sometimes listen to music when I run and I also play drums. I'm sure I look like an idiot too, because I don't necessarily play the whole song, just the rolls...which means I suddenly pick up my hands and start banging the air.

Danjo's friend "running like a 'special' dinosaur" remark made me think of somehting else I do...I wear a medic alert bracelet that does not easily come off, so I can' take it off to run. It's just a little too big, so it slides up and down my wrist, which drives me bat-s&*t when I run. So, I bend my wrist funny to keep it in place.

I'm sure I look like I have some kind of palsy sometimes...picture running, suddenly playing drums but with a funny bent wrist, and then stepping on something painful and doing the "oh-my-god-that-hurt-like-hell" dance. :cool:

that would be me, anyway...

As if running barefoot didn't

As if running barefoot didn't make you look crazy enough...

I noticed I swing my arms

I noticed I swing my arms (more like FLAIL my arms) a lot more barefoot than when I was shod. When I was shod I'd get shoulder pain keeping my upper body ramrod straight and arms bent, frozen at my sides. Donno why I did it, just habit of form. Barefoot my arms natually move A LOT more!

But....I don't think I flail enough to attract attention.

My Mp3 lip-syncing...that's another thing :)

lol yeah I lip sync

lol yeah I lip sync constantly. I do it at the gym too. I'm sure I look ridiculous but I save all my favorite songs for running so I can't help but sing even if I'm just pretending.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon