What is causing these blisters?

SSRed2k2

Barefooters
Jan 9, 2012
Hello all
I have been attempting to BF run for about 10 months now. I am experiencing some problems getting settled into it fully.​
I had a OATS procedure done to my ankle a few years ago. This is a cartilage transplant on the talar dome in the ankle. After 8 surgeries I only have about 2-6 deg dorsiflextion (pulling toes back with knee locked)​
When I run in Merrell Trail Gloves or New Balance Minimus Roads. I do not ever have any pain in my joints or muscles (had pain in joints with motion control shoes) and have achieved some of the fastest times I have ever turned. But I develop very bad blisters on the bottom of my big toe and on the inside of the ball of my foot right before the arch.​
I run primarily in the New Balance MR10 (Minimus Road) because I dont get the forefoot blisters as fast. I have never run completely barefoot because I am in the military. Maybe sometime I will try it on my own time.
I guess what I really need to know is what is causing the blisters? Is the lack of mobility causing the blisters or am I overstriding? Or am I just not cut out for running barefoot? I do overpronate and wore Brooks Adrenaline and Nike Equalons type shoes before my injury. The surgeons have all said I would never run again but that alone made me more deterimined to run. I also have to run because I am in the military so not running is not an option.​
As for as big toe dorsiflexion it is completely normal. The only issue I have is ankle dorsiflexion. Plantar flexion is normal.​
I see alot of the barefoot footage and it looks as though the knee is bent and is well over the toes. I can face a wall and touch the wall with my knee but my toes can only be at max about 2-3' away from the wall.
Thanks for the help in advance!​
D​
87bc525f-995a-4d83-adbf-abefe36df57b.Medium.jpg
dc5ebc27-1d47-48bf-bc3d-d43a06745558.Medium.jpg
f83a4043-6a3d-42ea-84be-644d4716a19e.Medium.jpg

Could it be the footwear? I know lots of us who develop blisters from running in VFFs, for example. After awhile, the skin toughens up there and stops blistering. I guess your shoes are well broken in by now? What about socks? Can they help?

I get them running in Merrells and New Balances with or without socks. I am running in feetures thin socks and it delays the blister to about a mile. Anything more than a mile I start to get them. The pictures above were after 1.5 miles

I think it's time to try running barefoot then. Your shoes, for one, are masking any feedback your skin would be giving you telling you how you should place your feet, where you should place your feet, and how to distribute your weight over your feet. You may develop blisters going barefoot in the beginning, but you will have a much better chance at learning how to avoid them if you can feel your stride.

This is a question you should pose in the Ask the Docs forum. We have five docs who respond to the questions there: a podiatrist, an MD, and three chiropractors. Try over there as well.

You said you run in the NB MR10, so taking those into consideration the blisters look exactly where the bar or arch is in them. I tried them on this weekend while min shoe shopping and they would kill my feet if I were to try to run in them. Maybe look into the new NB Minimus Zero Roads. They are flat and do not have this bar in them. I have sensitive feet to even minimal arches and from what your describing and your pictures are showing it looks like you may as well. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out!