What are your favorite healthy recipes you like to make for your family?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
What are your favorite healthy recipes you like to make for your family?

I would like to try some new recipes, since I'm getting tired of my usuals. I'm looking for good, healthy, low-fat recipes that actually taste good. Whatchagot?

Daddy's Homemade Peanut

Daddy's Homemade Peanut Butter:

2 16 oz. Jars of Unsalted Peanuts

1/2 Cup Shelled Walnuts

1/2 Cup Almonds

1/2 Cup Cashews (w/ Sea Salt variety)

3 Tbsp Peanut Oil

2 Tbsp Honey

1 Tbsp Flax

Shorty, that sounds really

Shorty, that sounds really good!!! I might have to try making some of that!

We go eat bar b q at a local place....

Sorry, now low-fat here, I

Sorry, now low-fat here, I eat all natural foods and they don't come in "low-fat", only processed foods are available in low-fat. I was LOL when I saw that the first post was a nut recipe.

So here I'm adding my own. I'm stir-frying all veggies (root veggies thinly sliced) in olive oil or virgin coconutoil, seasoned with sesame oil, hot sauce, fresh garlic and onion. I also add turmeric (very good for joint pain, cancer prevention, lots of other stuff) for flavoring. I also add nuts to veggies and salads including sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds which are very healthy, but more reasonably priced than most nuts.

To wean myself off too many carbs I'm making pancakes with buckwheat flour, whole duck eggs (our own) and whole organic, non-homogenized milk.

I'm also starting to use nut-flours (grind your own nuts finely) to make any sweet desserts and I use Xylitol or coconut crystals for sweeteners because both are low on the glycemic index and expensive enough to force me to use them in moderation.

I don't ever follow recipes, just read cookbooks, steal ideas and then modify immediately.
regular_smile.gif

^^dinner at your house

^^dinner at your house tonight!!!!!

palouserider wrote:Sorry,

palouserider said:
Sorry, now low-fat here, I eat all natural foods and they don't come in "low-fat", only processed foods are available in low-fat. I was LOL when I saw that the first post was a nut recipe.

So here I'm adding my own. I'm stir-frying all veggies (root veggies thinly sliced) in olive oil or virgin coconutoil, seasoned with sesame oil, hot sauce, fresh garlic and onion. I also add turmeric (very good for joint pain, cancer prevention, lots of other stuff) for flavoring. I also add nuts to veggies and salads including sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds which are very healthy, but more reasonably priced than most nuts.

To wean myself off too many carbs I'm making pancakes with buckwheat flour, whole duck eggs (our own) and whole organic, non-homogenized milk.

I'm also starting to use nut-flours (grind your own nuts finely) to make any sweet desserts and I use Xylitol or coconut crystals for sweeteners because both are low on the glycemic index and expensive enough to force me to use them in moderation.

I don't ever follow recipes, just read cookbooks, steal ideas and then modify immediately.
regular_smile.gif

Have you tried Almond Flour? If I have any goals for '12, one would be to start baking my own bread using almond flour.

Chaser - if you make the peanut butter, add nuts & peanut oil first into food processor and process for several minutes then add honey. You may need to add another tablespoon of honey for sweetness. The flax acts as a binder, because the walnuts & cashews add more oil and the batch tends to become soupy, so you might also need to add another tablespoon.

Cool! Thanks shorty!I had

Cool! Thanks shorty!

I had also never heard of Almond flour. My mom makes breads often, so I might have to look into this...

Olive oil, avacados, nuts,

Olive oil, avacados, nuts, etc., are all natural foods and very high in fat (good fat, but it's still fat, correct?). Eating an abundance of any of those don't contribute to fat build up? Explain.

I love almond flour.Another

I love almond flour.

Another thing I like to make is grass-fed beef or buffalo (inexpensive cuts like bottom round) as a pot roast. Just put meat in an oven-proof roasting dish with lid, add a cut-up onion, some carrots, thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic, a tablespoon or two of olive oil or coconutoil if the beef has little fat. Leave in the oven at 325F for at least 90 minutes for 2 lbs., longer for bigger roasts. We had this for Christmas dinner instead of turkey with wild rice, winter squash (cooked in the oven next to the roasting pan) and spinach in sour cream sauce. Dessert full-fat vanilla ice cream with lots of berries on top (frozen, thawed).

That all sounds so yummy, PR,

That all sounds so yummy, PR, but I'm trying to avoid the ice cream. Pooh. :-(

Granola6 cups rolled oats, 9

Granola

6 cups rolled oats, 9 cups of chopped nuts (your choice, almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower, chia seed - I grind 1/2 and put the rest in whole), 1 t. salt, 2 T. vanilla extract, 3/4 c. canola oil (trader joe’s sells chemical free canola oil) 1 c. honey/molasses/agave syrup, 3 T. cinnamon, dash cloves. Mix well! This recipe is very forgiving, you can change lots of things, just don’t forget the salt or it tastes flat.

Heat oven to 350, spread mix on baking sheet, preferably two. Toast for 30 mins, mixing every 6-7 minutes.

When cool, add raisins or dried fruit.

Yes, lots of nuts but this is a good fat that has many beneficial qualities. Organic raisins are best - grapes are on the dirty dozen of pecticide laden fruits.

Liz,great post, you

Liz,

great post, you summarized all the important stuff much better than I could have.

I wanted to add that I'm not advocating the old-fashioned kind of Atkins-diet where people just fill up on animal fat without limits and eliminate most carbs. A more moderate approach is just cutting out table sugar, HFCS, white flour, white pasta, white rice, and reducing the amount of grains and maybe very sweet fruits like grapes and/or going with more natural grains that have not been overbred or genetically modified for Roundup resistance.

I would like to give an example from my own, not very high calorie-burning life to illustrate. I run super-slow, 4.5 mph for about 1 hour every other day and some easy walking and burn no more than 3000 calories a week doing this. I'm 48 years old and weigh about 138 lbs. and can maintain my weight on about 3000 calories a day since I'm eating moderately low-carb, about 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat (and mostly organic). I eat whole eggs, full-fat dairy and leaner cuts of grass-fed meat, a little fish in addition to some grains, beans, nuts and a LOT of vegetables and fruit, at least half of it raw. For the last 3 1/2 months I've been training Maffetone-style to teach my body to get better at burning fat for fuel.

When I was eating a low-fat diet and doing the same amount of exercise I could only eat about 2200 calories/day plus I had low-sugar crashes every day, less energy in the afternoon, needed coffee to stay awake (completely off coffee now), trouble staying asleep at night, mood swings (both up and down) and NO improvement in running speed in a whole year in spite of having trained for and completed a half-marathon. When I was running I needed to take gels or shot blocks along if I went for more than an hour. Now I can run for 3 hours without needing anything (except water).

Nice post,

Nice post, palouserider!

Kinda picked up where I left off.

Sounds like we're on similar diets - although I have NO idea about my carb/fat/protein ratios! Lots of fresh veggies every day, a smoothie with banana and berries, some eggs, a smidgen of dairy (usually sheep or goats milk cheeses), a bunch of nuts, and a couple of different kinds of meat. I've been off grains and white carbs for at least a year (except my beer!) and am more recently off beans too, since taking up a largely primal diet.

My calorie intake is up. And, even though I've been injured (and not training) for the past 2.5 weeks and it's the holidays (with a few indulgences, here and there), I'm still more than pleased with the way I feel and look.

I, too, take no calories on training runs up to 3 hours. Beyond that, I start a slow carb drip at 2 hours in.

My MAF pace started at 11:00 min/mi, and in the 4 weeks before my foot finished snapping had seen it go down to 9:45 (every day for the last week). Looking forward to getting back to it and doing it right this time around. (I started Maffing too late to save myself...the train wreck was a foregone conclusion.)

Thanks for all that good

Thanks for all that good info, Buzzie. I've read it time and time again but sadly don't live by it, so it's good to read again. I appreciate your taking the time.

To my original question. Fat is fat. Why do I hear, "Don't be concerned about the amount of avacado you eat daily or olive oil you use in cooking. It's all good fat."? I know it's good fat. High in Omega-3s, etc., but if you eat a ton of it on a constant/daily basis, doesn't it eventually go to your thighs just like other non-healthy fats?

That's where the question about low-fat recipes comes in.

Ha, that's so funny, Gidds. 

Ha, that's so funny, Gidds. Missing food.

If my hubby says any smack about my meals, I make him go two or three days before I cook him another one! Ha! Eat that!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Olive oil,

Barefoot TJ said:
Olive oil, avacados, nuts, etc., are all natural foods and very high in fat (good fat, but it's still fat, correct?). Eating an abundance of any of those don't contribute to fat build up? Explain.

TJ- was that a troll? Did you just KNOW I was itching to 'splain?!?
bigsmile.png

Basically, yes - fat contributes to fat build up.

Ingested fat facilitates a variety of metabolic processes. What isn't used is subsequently stored as fat, which can later be used to fuel activity.

Ingested carbohydrate facilitates a variety of metabolic processes - among other things, it can give a fairly rapid boost to blood sugar that is "immediately" available to be burned as fuel and (IIRC) some of it might contribute to replenishing glycogen stores. What isn't used is subsequently stored as fat, which can later be used to fuel activity.

Carbs sound like a great thing at first blush - why not burn some now and then store what's uneeded as fat?

Well... that sugar is cheap and easy fuel for your body. When present, your body will go for it first and (largely) skip burning any of the nagging fat that you may have hanging around.

And... the other thing that carbs (aka sugar) do (to varying degrees, based on source/type) is trigger the insulin response. That is, as blood glucose (sugar) rises, insulin is released in response. Insulin is what helps move the glucose into muscle & fat cells for storage. The insulin level peaks after the blood glucose level peaks and is returned to normal. In essence, the insulin is lingering, looking for something to do - that is, more sugar to process. What results is increased hunger, wobbly knees, often the desire for more sugar.

So, you can see that the body's gotten itself into a vicious cycle and is becoming a well-padded, sugar-craving machine.

Why would "low-fat" be a bad thing?

Well, sometimes there's a reduction in calories, which might not be all bad. But, often the fat is replaced with something carb-rich instead - thus further contributing/increasing the insulin response. (An example of a substitution might be replacing eggs in a baking recipe with yogurt. The yogurt [potentially] has lower fat, but the lactose in the milk/yogurt is...sugar!)

Another downside to "low-fat" is that, without fats, certain nutrients in the food won't be as readily absorbed by the body (if at all) - so, you're missing out on some of the nutritional goodness of that "healthy" low-fat food.

What to do?

Eating a combination of carbs, protein, and fat can help blunt the insulin spike. Additionally, choosing carbohydrates with a lower glycemic index and - EVEN MORE BETTER - lower glycemic load will also help tame the insulin monster.

(Glycemic Load considers the effect of a portion of food - ex: watermelon has a high glycemic index, but pretty low carb content by weight (it's mostly water!), so its overall effect can easily be less than that of a similar portion of a lower GI food... hence, low glycemic load)

For a person living a low- to moderately-active lifestyle, our liver is capable of creating enough glycogen from our body fat on a daily basis to MORE than get us through the day. (Assuming activities are, more or less, kept to low intensity and are truly aerobic.) As length or intensity of activity increases (think a few hours of Maffetone-style low heart rate running or fast racing/sprinting) the body will need more glycogen - this, it will need to get from ingested carbohydrates. It is also possible to train the body to become a more efficient and willing fat burner, shifting the balance of energy that comes from fats & carbs (and, yes, we do burn both at once - but the ratio varies); this is done by increasing one's aerobic capacity/efficiency.

Phil Maffetone and Mark Sisson have more info - supporting similar (but NOT the same) diet and training ideas.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Thanks for

Barefoot TJ said:
Thanks for all that good info, Buzzie. I've read it time and time again but sadly don't live by it, so it's good to read again. I appreciate your taking the time.

To my original question. Fat is fat. Why do I hear, "Don't be concerned about the amount of avacado you eat daily or olive oil you use in cooking. It's all good fat."? I know it's good fat. High in Omega-3s, etc., but if you eat a ton of it on a constant/daily basis, doesn't it eventually go to your thighs just like other non-healthy fats?

That's where the question about low-fat recipes comes in.

An excellent question for the Doctors!

(Requiring more physiology skillz than I haz!)

But, fat is not fat. The different types of dietary fat - saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and trans - are all used by the body in different ways. None of them just marches straight from your lips to your thighs.

Any excess of dietary carbohydrate, fat, or protein that your body can't put to other immediate use is turned into "fat" - eventually - and deposited as adipose tissue.

Eating "a ton" of anything will leave you with more voluptuous thighs. Eating a balance of nutrients - in their wholest possible forms - will allow your genes to express themselves in the healthiest possible ways, leaving you with an optimized metabolism. Dietary fat is not the main culprit in weight gain. Instead, it is the types (and abundance) of carbohydrates that feed the crazy blood sugar swings which put appetite, cravings, hormones, fat burning mechanism, etc. out of whack, causing us to pack on more fat and hamper our ability to burn what we have.

Now, you've got me wondering why you're after low-fat recipes?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7