What are you reading?

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
Against all reason and good sense, I'm hoping to add another strand to my thread count. For those of you caught between the modern obsession with online forums and the Paleo Diet (They don't read at all right?), whatcha been reading between the covers? Cardboard Covers, that is.

1) Post what you are reading right now, or what you've just read.
2) Post books you've read more than once, or twice. Your all time favorites.
3) Post what you read on the throne.
4) And of course, post whatever the double hockey sticks else you'd like.

1) Just finished J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy and Lewis's essays The Weight of Glory. Starting up on Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov
2) Tolkien. Moby Dick. Steinbeck's East of Eden. Ender's Game. Dune. Watership Down. The Yearling. Harry Potter. I read lots of mysteries, but not more than once, usually.
3) At home, The Silmarillion. At work, the can of BIG D Industrial Strength Air Sanitizer. Seriously. I should put that in category 2.
4) I also read a ton of non-fiction around whatever I'm in to at the moment: DIY stuff like Make Magazine and Electronics, baking bread stuff, children's lit (I teach 4th grade.), woodworking....stuff. Yeah. That's enough for now.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
1) The Shining (re-reading it, actually)
2) Too many to list: A Confederacy of Dunces, most of the Carl Haaisen Books, Farenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, Atlas Shrugged (I like the story line; I'm actually a moderate Dem, so don't freak on me), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Self-Destruction Handbook.
3) Mags, mainly: Running, Backpacker, Outside, Men's Journal
4) Any and all sorts of weird stuff, but mostly online blogs and forums: DIY/Make stuff (was considering building a furnace so I could make my own lathe for reasons I hadn't yet decided), HAM radio stuff (got my license in Sept), Bicycle stuff, Backpacking stuff and some weirdness called BFR...

1) The Shining (re-reading it, actually)
2) Too many to list: A Confederacy of Dunces, most of the Carl Haaisen Books, Farenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, Atlas Shrugged (I like the story line; I'm actually a moderate Dem, so don't freak on me), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Self-Destruction Handbook.
3) Mags, mainly: Running, Backpacker, Outside, Men's Journal
4) Any and all sorts of weird stuff, but mostly online blogs and forums: DIY/Make stuff (was considering building a furnace so I could make my own lathe for reasons I hadn't yet decided), HAM radio stuff (got my license in Sept), Bicycle stuff, Backpacking stuff and some weirdness called BFR...

Radio in the background...."people should get beat up, for stating their own beliefs, He wants a shoehorn..."
Couldn't get into A. Rand. I had a logic prof. who loved her. As for politics, I'm a recovering Republican, moderate I-should-proabably-care-more-about-this-but-am-way-too-confusian.
I own the Gingery series, or at least the first 4. Gotta love fire, and melting things. As for building, lots of castles....
I've only got to the build a crystal radio stage, but I've gotten a crap load of 4th graders to build 'em too. So quantity challenges quality. ;) You can totally almost hear the two stations the sets receive.
Fear and Loathing was another bathroom read. I thought the setting very appropriate, but it would have been better if I was drunk or had recently doing some heavy duty varnishing in the garage.

1) Small Group Lessons from the Comprehension Toolkit; Number Sense Routines; Reading with meaning, a variety of other Professional Development titles (cherry picking specific topics/chapters).
2) Brothers Karamozov. i used to re-read this every January for some reason. I love this book. I've also read Le Petite Prince (en Francais, natch) more than a couple times. I re-read stuff all the time; it's like re-watching a favorite film and catching something new, so this list is long
3) Magazines, mostly.
4) I WANT to read Last Child in the Woods (maybe over holiday break); it's about the impact of nature deficit on children and how time outdoors can actually improve learning.

Managerial Accounting, Core Economics, and Pre-Calculus and Geometry.... Oh, and still slowly, very slowly working on Dean Karnazes 50/50. One of these years I'll finish it.
Ouch. Quit it. Seriously. My brain hurts.
How's the DK?
I read the Scott Jurek book this summer. He's kind of a dork, but he runs really far and fast. Daddy issues.

1) Small Group Lessons from the Comprehension Toolkit; Number Sense Routines; Reading with meaning, a variety of other Professional Development titles (cherry picking specific topics/chapters).
2) Brothers Karamozov. i used to re-read this every January for some reason. I love this book. I've also read Le Petite Prince (en Francais, natch) more than a couple times. I re-read stuff all the time; it's like re-watching a favorite film and catching something new, so this list is long
3) Magazines, mostly.
4) I WANT to read Last Child in the Woods (maybe over holiday break); it's about the impact of nature deficit on children and how time outdoors can actually improve learning.

1) Ha. I used to read that stuff. Actually, still do sometimes.
2) Fill me in on some more sometime. This list is usually the best stuff. I like the little prince. Couldn't hack the french though. Just read Roald Dahl's Boy and Flying Solo this summer. I used to think he had a thing for hating adults. Truth is, he had one terrifying childhood, along with a lot of really wonderful experiences. Great easy read.

Radio in the background...."people should get beat up, for stating their own beliefs, He wants a shoehorn..."
Couldn't get into A. Rand. I had a logic prof. who loved her. As for politics, I'm a recovering Republican, moderate I-should-proabably-care-more-about-this-but-am-way-too-confusian.
I own the Gingery series, or at least the first 4. Gotta love fire, and melting things. As for building, lots of castles....
I've only got to the build a crystal radio stage, but I've gotten a crap load of 4th graders to build 'em too. So quantity challenges quality. ;) You can totally almost hear the two stations the sets receive.
Fear and Loathing was another bathroom read. I thought the setting very appropriate, but it would have been better if I was drunk or had recently doing some heavy duty varnishing in the garage.

Rand is an acquired taste. I liked Atlas more when I first started reading it, but her writing style is a little harder for me to read, now (given that English was her second language, she did quite well, but some sentence structure and general story premises are awkward). I think I like the train stuff, mostly..
Some day I'll build a HAM - most of the kits are for 10 or 40M rigs (I have a 2M/440 HT, now), but I'll need to be in a place that I can put up an antenna.
I've heard of the Gingery series - it seems that there have been several copies made, but only 5 or 6 guys have actually built anything out of it (there is a guy on the web that did build a lathe from that book).
Hunter S. Thompson - I like his gonzo stuff but can do without most of his sports writing and politics (there are a few exceptions). About 10 years ago, some friends and I went to Vegas and I was rocking the flowered shirt, bucket hat, aviators and cigarette holder saying things like "We can't stop here! This is bat country!" For the month after he killed himself, I could not read anything about him without crying (true story).

That's one I'll have to look in to reading. I was in Yosemite a few weekends ago and was impressed by the number of families that brought their kids there. True, they were loud and in the way (I don't much care for kids) but I liked the fact that their parents were showing them nature. Hopefully, it will instill the thought that maybe we shouldn't develop or otherwise destroy every piece of open land we have.

Ouch. Quit it. Seriously. My brain hurts.
How's the DK?
I read the Scott Jurek book this summer. He's kind of a dork, but he runs really far and fast. Daddy issues.
My brain hurts too. The DK book is horribly slow. It's fascinating, but at the same time he doesn't go into much detail (and yet he does at the same time, strange mix) that's why I haven't given up on the book in the last 6 months or more I've been working on it. I can only read a couple pages at a time. Part of that is my brain hurts from school, part of that is spending qt with the family, and part of it is I find other things to read, such as brs forums and Seahawks blogs and news. I have his other book Ultramarathon Man too which I hear is much more fascinating and interesting and just a better read in general and I can't wait to finish 50/50 so I can start that book. I also have Running on Empty by Marshall Ulrich in my lineup along with a couple of Vince Flynn novels, I just don't unfortunately have a lot of time for pleasure reading right now.

Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America by Linda S. Godfrey. I like the plausible parts, the whoo stuff is a little boring.
Otherwise: any and all books by C.J. Box, Rizzolli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen, Joanna Brady series by J.A. Jance, Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Bar, The Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Harry Potter, the Red Dragon books (aka Hannibal Lecter), The Hunger Games, Patrick McManus, James Herriot, and a partridge in a pear tree!
Ok I also read a lot of non-fiction dry science stuff, mostly for work, field guides, bird books, health & fitness, food, environment, blah blah blah.

Just finished "Tread Lightly" by Pete Larson and Bill Katovsky.
Taking my time with Catch 22, Trevelyan's "A Shortened History of England", Durrell's "Justine" and "Fast Food Nation" (again) by Schlosser.
It looks like I might have a bit of time on my hands over the next few days so I might make some progress with them!

1) currently reading: on the road - jack karouac. before that: Zen mind, Beginners mind - suzuki. before that: the autobiography of a yoga - paramhansa yogananda. before that: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. before that: the yoga sutras of patanjali. before that: the baghavad gita (translated by easwaran).
2) all time favourite... 1984 for it's literary worthyness, and Walden; or a life in the woods - simply for what it gave me :)
3) tend to read kindle app on my phone, so whatever i'm currently reading.
4) grapes of wrath, catcher in the rye, far from the madding crowd, something by jack london, something else from throreau, something by karen armstrong..... These are all in the pipeline to be read next.

1) Currently reading Domes of Fire, David Eddings. Also The Count of Monte Cristo, and 11-22-63 by Stephen King. And whatever book 3 of Game of Thrones is. Yes, I usually have multiple books going.
2) All time favorite would probably be The Color Purple. It's just too cool for words.
3) I'm more likely to check FB on the pot, at least at home. At work I read the Stall Seat Journal. They post statistics like "72% of VCU students drink 0-5 times per week!" To which I always think "So, over 1/4 of students are out drinking more than once a week. And what's the percentage of VCU students that are legal to drink?" I swear, their spin is ridiculous.
4) If I own a book that I've only read once, it's time for it to find a new home. Come to think of it, I have a couple of books that need to find a new home ...

Trying to get through "The Doper Next Door" (non-fiction), but I decided I don't like the guy so lost interest. One of my favorites (Christian Theology): "Night of Weeping" subtitled: "When God's Children Suffer", by Horatius Bonar. I also read "Bicycle Times" magazine or anything else I can find on bikes from design, maintenance, accessories, etc. I read the Bible every morning.

I just got a year's supply of multi-focal contact lenses which makes reading so much easier again. I don't have to run around the house looking for a pair of reader glasses.

1) Currently reading Ghost Stories by Jim Butcher, Zen Keys by Thich Nhat Hanh, Self - Made Man by Norah Vincent, and Chi Running. I tend to have many books going and they live in their own room or the car.

2) My all time go anywhere book is Zen Flesh, Zen Bones.

3) Post what you read on the throne. At the moment, Self - Made Man. The bathroom bookshelf also contains some Alan Dean foster Lost and Found, Robert Aspirin - Myth series, The American Book of the Dead by Stephan Billias, Beer connoisseur magazine, Random paper back Sci Fi, and an old copy of the Competitive Runner's Handbook. Though most reading goes on in the bathtub not the throne.

4) I generally don't re-read books or re-watch movies.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts