Wall Street Journal

This is the same folks --> These are the same folks.

oic... could go both ways, I think, if 'group of' is assumed, which I did, but now can't, because it sounds redneck. lol.

Well, with a name like "Daniel Lee" and an avatar of an old Confederate soldier, it was an honest mistake. But how can you tell it's a she and not a he? Insider knowledge? ;)
TJ meant the reporter, not the commenter.

Help me out here, TD. Where?
To my understanding:
correct: It's the same GROUP OF folks. Here the "is" goes with group, and "of folks" is the modifier.
In common usage (vernacular, even?), the "group of" or "slew of" or "gaggle of" or "murder of" is left out but the singular remains.

Simpler example:
They are nice.
The group is nice.

I love that we are getting pedantic with a sentence that uses "folks." And I'm one of those grammar police officers that is a corrupt big offender.
just sayin'

Actually, the analysis is quite straightforward. Anyone who studied grammar in grade school would recognize "this" as a demonstrative pronoun which must be in agreement with its antecedent, "folks". Furthermore, "is" reflects an equality, which establishes without a doubt that "folks" is the antecedent. The utter failure of the confederate writer to realize this, discounts any rational argument that s/he could have made, as it is clear that s/he could not master simple elementary school grammar. Essentially, the author's argument is equivalent to the babbling of a child.
http://college.cengage.com/english/raimes/digitalkeys/keyshtml/pronoun5.htm

It's 4th grade grammar.
http://grammar.wordzila.com/grade-4-grammar-lesson-8-kinds-of-pronouns/
Grade-4-Grammar-Lesson-8-Kinds-of-pronouns-1.png

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Reactions: BFwillie_g
I don't see a problem with gyms banning people being barefoot, it's not a place to be barefoot in the first place. Go outside and run! I ran barefoot through the whole winter, I had to resort to footwear twice, it can be done. My gym is outdoors now. I do my kettlebell exercises in my back yard.

Adam, you seem to forget that cold weather running is NOT for everybody it's like what works for you doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for me. Just saying.

Since most gyms I know of are private businesses, it's their prerogative; but as far as it not being a place, how does one decide that, other than personal preference? It's not like feet are considered something that should always be covered for the sake of decency (which in itself is hard to define, as far as I'm concerned). I know some people who are uncomfortable when they can see someone else's armpits. Does that mean no tank tops? Some of the tight exercise clothing could be discussed, too... Not to mention, how much should be allowed to be discarded when a person is hot. All the focus on bare feet in the midst of these things is kind of funny.

Gyms traditionaly were places for bare feet worldwide including the US. Students were to wear trainers or use bare feet for gym class, except for some schools who's teachers required all physical education students to exercise barefoot .
Arnold Schwartzenegger always lifted barefoot at the gym, as did his colleagues and competitors. Today in the US most gyms for Yoga, gymnastics, Pilates, etc do not ALLOW shoes at all! As a matter of fact, Fitness 19 does not allow shoes for it's Yoga class participants.
BG is a good barefoot runner and has conquered the cold, but has been pretty consistent with his view that bare feet don't belong in public places. We generally disagree on that point, so it's no surprise he believes that gyms are for the shod.
BTW, my cardiologist does not want me running in the cold. The increased workload on the heart as well as the possibility of arterial spasm (think snow shoveling) are too dangerous for anyone at risk like myself.

You crack me up, Board, about your avatar, not your comments...this time. You is silly! Can I say that? You. Is. Silly?

I love being barefoot as much as possible. I guess this comes down to my own personal mental insecurities, because there is no way I could be in a gym barefoot without someone at least being barefoot as well. I can't stand to have attention drawn to me (this continues to be a major issue for me at races) so being the only person barefoot in a public establishment would make me extremely uncomfortable. I don't see the wrong in respecting someones rules and just go with it, instead of fighting it.

Reactions: happysongbird
I can't stop laughing! Just somehow using the artists rendition of your feet cracks me up. :hilarious:

Reactions: happysongbird
By the way, if anybody is interested, my blog entry today takes a scientific look at this quote from the article: "I just felt like that was an unnecessarily excessive human skin transfer." See "Desquamation": http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/desquamation/
Well, that blog answered the questions I posed in my earlier post on that same inane comment. Thanks for the (not excessive) research!:)

Reactions: Longboard
WOW!
Check out THIS Fox 59 Indianapolis affiliate's synopsis on the story and comment arena.
http://fox59.com/2013/03/18/gyms-banning-barefoot-running/#axzz2NxzJ8oxP

No where in the article did I see "sweaty feet", but the Fox affliate writer believes they did!

Holy mother of pearl. I'm reading the comments on this post, and this one stuck out like a sore metatarsal:

"Bare feet carry all sorts of bacteria and fungi. I can't believe we have to tell people to not walk around barefoot in public."
This is the sort of ignorance we're up against. Honestly, I never gave these sorts of things much thought until I joined the ranks of the unshod runner.
But it has helped me zero in on exactly the area of discontent. Since I have never ever once heard anyone complain when a person appeared in public wearing flip flops or sandals, it's clear to me that the problem is the BOTTOM of the foot. The sole is the offender, evidently. On the sole is to be found all manner of foulness, disease, unnecessary human skin transference, and general bad mojo. However, this phenomenon is geographically-specific: bare soles are none of these things at a pool, or in a yoga class, or at the beach. Only in places where shoes are the norm do the soles of the feet become vectors for every ill known to modern man.
Ignorance isn't bliss. It's just ignorance.
In the few short months I've been running barefoot, I've learned that I have to develop thicker skin in more places than just my feet.

Gyms traditionly were places for bare feet worldwide including the US. Students were to wear trainers or use bare feet for gym class, except for some schools who's teachers required all physical education students to exercise barefoot .

After all, "gym" and "gymnasium" do come from γυμνός (gymnos), meaning "naked".

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090