Walking/Shepherding in mountains - anthropological/historical

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Hiking' started by JF Delannoy, Mar 12, 2018.

1. JF Delannoy

JF Delannoy
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. France

Hello
    I'm researching about the anthropology and history of barefoot walking, especially in mountain zones.
    For example: how com common people in the Pyreneees would walk around in medium-hight mountainous zones unshod? No trouble with rocks, gravel, cold, even with a good callous layer developed underfoot?
    Do you have any leads on about
    - was it mostly by choice, or because one did not afford shoes
    - makeshift shoes, e.g. those made of bark in Russiac/the baltic area
    - how it was experiences
    - the difficulty and pathologies
    - the adoption of shoes (including the way industrial rubber soles came to be a a sort of de facto standard)

Thanks

JF in Paris
    Triathlon, some minimalism

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

What is it that you want to know exactly? Are you looking for resources to research?

How do you know for certain that they did not develop a "calloused" layer on the balls of their feet and toes? I would think that they had much thicker soles than we do today.

A Google general search return for ancient footwear/history of footwear--Choose Images-very interesting-as well as page links : https://www.google.com/search?sourc...7.6..46j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i46k1.58.SYFGbKNj0Yk

For the adoption of "modern" shoes, research the history of Nike and Bill Bowerman. It's quite an eye-opener.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature