Visit To "Barefoot Friendly Doc". The problem was not where I thought it was.

jimwb

Barefooters
Oct 8, 2011
I just got back from a visit to the Barefoot Friendly doc on the map near me.

I was extremely impressed with him. He had an Ironman Triathlon completion plaque on his wall with a great time and I found out he also runs ultras including 100 miles. He listened to me and seemed pleased when I told him I had been running and walking completely barefoot for 5 months.

After his examination he told me I had hallux flexus and plantar fasciitis. He also told me I was doing everything right to correct it, thanks to the kind doctors on this site as well as others who give advice.

What was very surprising to me and I never would have known without an office visit is that the root problem was not from my waist down. He said that my body was well suited for barefoot running and encouraged me to continue.

The root cause, where the end result was ball of foot and heel pain, was in my neck and shoulders. He told me that everything was connected and that nonsymetry from left to right and poor posture up top leads to a chain reaction all the way down. I now have an appointment with PT to evaluate and help with my posture. I have had head aches, neck pain, and left shoulder pain for a long time now, which he guessed at after evaluating me, but never thought that it had anything to do with my feet.

Wow, could it be that I have

Wow, could it be that I have some problem like this where the problem is not in my legs but in the upper part of my body? Maybe this is why I can't find trigger points? Maybe this is why I get so many headaches. Thanks for telling us about this, maybe when I get my taxes done I will have enough cash to go see the barefoot friendly doc here. He doesn't accept insurance so as of right now I can't go to him. I am blown away by the complexity of the human body.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread it's just amazing to me what I seem to keep learning and finding out on here from everyone. Hope you heal quickly Jim!

WONDERFUL!  I'm so glad the

WONDERFUL! I'm so glad the Map of Barefoot-Friendly Docs is working for you guys. It's so comforting when you can find a health care professional with an open mind and who doesn't treat you like a freakoid, but a human being, the way you deserve to be treated. Hopefully, you'll be on your way to finally healing.

Yes the body is

Yes the body is interconnected in many amazing ways. I have just started studying occipital-sacral therapy, which is based on a similar premise that what is going on at the base of your skull can affect the sacral area, and vice versa, in with regard to the spinal column. Fascinating!

And Nick, FYI, trigger points refer pain, so the area that is in pain is rarely the same place the offending trigger point is at.

Word to the wise: unless you

Word to the wise: unless you know the PT is also barefoot-friendly - don't go in there in VFF's or barefoot, and try not to mention your barefoot activities if possible.

Jimwb- Was this Dr. Feldman

Jimwb- Was this Dr. Feldman in MA by any chance? (I see that you're in the MA chapter....) I went to him too and he referred me to a PT in MA who is also a barefoot runner (Jackie is her name.) I haven't been yet, but I'm optomistic that she'll be helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't get the "body build for barefoot running" report, lol.

Jim, thank you so much for

Jim, thank you so much for that article you found. Very informative and helps me to understand how mucles are interconnected. Great find and easy to read and understand.

PatrickGSR94 wrote:Word to

PatrickGSR94 said:
Word to the wise: unless you know the PT is also barefoot-friendly - don't go in there in VFF's or barefoot, and try not to mention your barefoot activities if possible.

So true, and true of all doctors actually. I was/am lucky, my last PT was totally intrigued by BFR and my current ND just started running minimalist right before I started going to him.

Hey you guys, be sure to add

Hey you guys, be sure to add the Barefoot-Friendly PTs to the map too! You never know when you might be helping someone else how by sharing this info.

I have an appointment with

I have an appointment with Jacqueline Shakar, DPT, MSPT, OCS, CMT of Central Massachusets Physical Therapy & Wellness in March. My podiatrist (who I found on the BRS bf friendly doctor's map) recommended her as a BFR-friendly PT. I'll be sure to add her to the map.

http://www.centralmasspt.com/staff.asp

I'm probably going to see a

I'm probably going to see a doc at this place about my one toenail with a fungus issue, and will get a second opinion on whether they think I have flat feet like the PT told me last month, which I think is a load of BS. However from the website and the links I'm betting they're not barefoot friendly, and likely won't mention anything about it, except maybe when I'm about to leave. I dunno.

http://msfootandankle.com/about/

Can we add places to the map that should be avoided? :crazy:

If there was some way to

If there was some way to differentiate the markers perhaps, and then make sure someone actually puts a note in the contact info that THIS PLACE IS TO BE AVOIDED. I don't have the time right now, and my To Do list is growing. Do you mind checking it out to see how to go about what you want?

Thank you, Mamy!

Thank you, Mamy!

It's sticked to the top of

It's sticked to the top of the Health, Medical Conditions, Injuries...forum.

If we could somehow place red

If we could somehow place red markers that would be perfect for places to avoid.

Could you figure out if the

Could you figure out if the map can do that, Patrick? That would be great. I am swamped.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts