Vibram FiveFinger ARCH

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Other than the Classic and the Sprint, is there a VFF model out there that doesn't have an arch support? I purchased the Bikila LS yesterday, and although the toes don't seem to bother me surprisingly (too soon to tell really), the arch is killing me, and I've only worn them around the house for a very short time. I can exchange these within 90 days as long as I don't wear them outside.

I also have the men's Bikila red and gray in size 41 if anyone want to buy them really cheap from me. I've only worn them three or four times, and they are in top-notch condition. No wear.

Is it just me or does the Bikila LS have more of an arch support than the regular Bikilas?

The part that touches your arch isn't really supportive and looses its rigidity fairly fast. Obviously if it hurts they may not be he shoes for you but I don't notice them touching anymore.

Thanks, Eric. That's what Jimmy responded to me in an email I sent to him, saying it's not an arch support, but it sure feels like it. I think we should call it something though, so I was thinking arch plate. Someone else wrote to me to say they broke in the arch as well, so I think I will give them a try, just wear them around the house until they break-in.

I am really thrilled that my toes are behaving inside the toe pockets. I really thought that would have been my biggest issue, as it had been in the past with my other VFFs before surgery. I really hope these work out, because the other models (Jaya, Seeya, Spyridon) Jimmy said that didn't have that arch have ridiculous looking colors and patterns, like below. Like they don't scream "Look at me! I am an AW already!" I do like the lacing system though. Man, can you believe that I am saying all this? A barefooter?

Spyridon.png

These are the ones I got that I like. The color is more gray and very subdued compared to the archless models.

BikilaLS.png

TJ, are they better for you than the socks or "one fingers" (water shoes) you used to prefer because of the surgery?

TJ, it was a pair of Bikila LS I had bought just before I realized you had a pair of VFFs for sale back months ago, or I probably would have bought yours! Sorry! I got the black Bikila LS with the green between the toes. There is a bit of arch protection there but not sure if I'd really say it offers much or any support. I do prefer the LS lacing vs the velcro strap. I bought mine one size up for use with toes socks, and although it does put my smallest couple toes barely into the toes of the shoes they do seem to fit well and dont bother me much. I did get to try them out hiking this past week - did about 11 mile trip in the Smokies in them and they did great... well up to mile 9, the last couple miles really took their toll on my feet. But thats not all the shoes fault. It was a very rocky trail, and I was a bit out of shape when it comes to hills. I had my hiking boots in my day pack but I did do the whole 11 rocky miles in the Bikilas.

I tried on some of the minshoes at the store, they actually had more options than I thought they would for a small outfit, and I still can't handle the one finger; I never could. Anything that presses my metatarsals together causes the nerves to fire, even if the toe box is loose. I had them on for not even a minute, and the toes on my left foot started to fire, so I had to take them off. I also have my water socks/aqua shoes, and I have tried them a few times after the surgeries, and they do the same thing. Socks are okay as long as they are really big, like my hubby's, but I have no use for them. These VFFs, surprisingly, haven't bothered my toes...yet. Let's hope it's something I can wear, once I break the arch in, since I need something that will deafen the false and over amplified signals.

Can you imagine? And here I am, someone who has always recommended people first learn or relearn how to run properly by going barefoot, to get those signals, to help them correct their form, their mistakes, and I can't even handle those signals because they are false or exaggerated?

That's okay, Tristan. I love your name BTW.

Anyone else want to buy them? Real cheap? I'd hate for them to go to waste.

TJ - I normally run in both Bikilas and Bikila LS. I didn't notice any arch in them even though I'm pretty sensitive to that. It may just be a breaking in issue.

As far as the ones you're trying to get rid of, there is a "for sale" forum at Birthday Shoes (you have to be a registered member to access/use it)

Okay, thanks!

I don't think any VFF's have any arch "support", as it were. Sure some of them have an area that's molded to hug the arch of the foot, but there's certainly no support there. You can bend and twist the shoes around in that area if you want.

I have been bending them and twisting them a little. I am wearing them all around the house to try and break them in. To someone with PF, it feels like it's trying to support my arch. I think Arch Plate would be a good word then.

On my walk yesterday, the toes bothered me more than the arch. I'm hoping that once I have strengthened my toes (and feet) this will no longer be an issue.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7