Vegetarians??

I eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies but I'm not a vegetarian. Humans are evolved as omnivores and best of all, I like the taste of dead animal. I don't eat much beef due to fat content but sometimes a good steak tastes fantastic.

I've been mostly vegetarian for the last month or so, mainly as I figure it'll help me lose weight. And well, I guess it worked out ok for Scott Jurek, Caballo and many others!

The odd thing is, I thought I'd miss eating meat, but if anything I've actually gone off it rather than crave it.

The times I've eaten it have been for convenience as someone else has already cooked/ordered. I've eaten it but not really enjoyed it.

It's too early to say how much effect it's having, but I feel less bloated after meals if that makes any sense? I also feel my appetite has reduced/stabilised somewhat.

I've been mostly vegetarian for the last month or so, mainly as I figure it'll help me lose weight. And well, I guess it worked out ok for Scott Jurek, Caballo and many others!

The odd thing is, I thought I'd miss eating meat, but if anything I've actually gone off it rather than crave it.

The times I've eaten it have been for convenience as someone else has already cooked/ordered. I've eaten it but not really enjoyed it.

It's too early to say how much effect it's having, but I feel less bloated after meals if that makes any sense? I also feel my appetite has reduced/stabilised somewhat.

It won't necessarily help you lose weight, I know plenty of overweight and obese vegetarians. That is because, generally speaking, your carb intake goes up when you go vegetarian. Just don't eat too many bread products. The fiber in the fruits and veggies is what helps stabilize digestion, and absorption, and therefore appetite.

I've just downloaded three great papers on the nutritional aspects of vegetarian diets, one general, two athlete specific all focussing on the adequacy of the diet, macro- and micronutrients, minerals intake, effect on athletic performance etc and it's been a very interesting read.

Over here in the UK it's national vegetarian week and I've mainly stuck to it. Unfortunately I'm with a client this week and I'd not specified vegetarian, so I've had soem meat and fish at lunch. Dinner today, for example has been fresh and dried fruit, nuts and seeds.

I'm happier now that I've read those papers and am seriously considering restricting my meat intake considerably if not eliminating it completely. I just need to wok out how to do it easily while travelling.

It won't necessarily help you lose weight, I know plenty of overweight and obese vegetarians. That is because, generally speaking, your carb intake goes up when you go vegetarian. Just don't eat too many bread products. The fiber in the fruits and veggies is what helps stabilize digestion, and absorption, and therefore appetite.

Definitely, you just need to look at my mother in law, an asian vegetarian, about 5 feet in height and 200 pounds. She got that way by overeating and having a large portion of her diet as refined carbs and junk food

I've just booked a veggie meal on my flight to Australia:eek:

It's still going to be disgusting. Sorry.

I know, but at least it won't have disgusting unidentifiable meat in it, just disgusting unidentifiable veggies.

I looked across at someones kosher meal on one flight and that looked much better

I'm not a vegetarian but all the animals I eat are. Does that count?

My wife is and I tried it for a while and it didn't agree with me. Processed soy products are the worse, both for taste and how they make me feel. I don't eat a lot of meat, especially since I decided to only eat free range and organic. That stuff is expensive. I stick to mainly vegetables some rice and whole grains and save meat for the extra protein on heavy workout days.

I know, but at least it won't have disgusting unidentifiable meat in it, just disgusting unidentifiable veggies.

I looked across at someones kosher meal on one flight and that looked much better

Oh, gosh - my experience has been more like "What is in this disgusing steamed patty that reeks of garlic powder and onion powder?" Lentils? TVP? Is it falafel?!?! But, yeah, it's not going to be worse than the meat meals, I don't think. They looked pretty bad too. Too bad you can't take gels anymore or you could just eat Gu the whole time. I bring the motherlode of Clif bars every time I travel.

Oh, gosh - my experience has been more like "What is in this disgusing steamed patty that reeks of garlic powder and onion powder?" Lentils? TVP? Is it falafel?!?! But, yeah, it's not going to be worse than the meat meals, I don't think. They looked pretty bad too. Too bad you can't take gels anymore or you could just eat Gu the whole time. I bring the motherlode of Clif bars every time I travel.

You can still take gels, within the limits. I always take ziploc bags full of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

These bars are great too, but I'm not sure they're sold in the US

http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/

I've just downloaded three great papers on the nutritional aspects of vegetarian diets, one general, two athlete specific all focussing on the adequacy of the diet, macro- and micronutrients, minerals intake, effect on athletic performance etc and it's been a very interesting read.

Over here in the UK it's national vegetarian week and I've mainly stuck to it. Unfortunately I'm with a client this week and I'd not specified vegetarian, so I've had soem meat and fish at lunch. Dinner today, for example has been fresh and dried fruit, nuts and seeds.

I'm happier now that I've read those papers and am seriously considering restricting my meat intake considerably if not eliminating it completely. I just need to wok out how to do it easily while travelling.

Links?

vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

or an old Indian word for buddhist/Jain//hindu, take your pick

Personally, I can see me giving up farmed meat entirely, whether I'll go as far as giving up fish and game I'm not sure yet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7