Vegetarian for Lent... crashing and burning

...I can't stand vegetarian 'meat' dishes. If you want meat, eat meat. If not, have veggies...
Exactly! The only time I'll buy the knitted meat (phrase stolen from my dad) is if I'm going to a BBQ; bean burgers & the like do not BBQ well! Before veggie sausages were available my standard BBQ food was a bread roll with onions & ketchup - it wasn't hard to improve on! If it's my BBQ (or someone I know well enough to demand more grill space) then it's time for a feast of yummy veg & halloumi.

Sid, I am not sure cholesterol is the nemesis it has been made out to be, but it is not a concern either way with veggie meat.
http://www.kelloggs.com/content/dam/common/products/nutrition/58389.jpg
Okay, that's just what the lady at work told me. I don't eat much veggie meat, other than what the in-laws make occasionally, or have any problems with cholesterol personally.

I've heard great things about CSA!

As far as sodium goes, I've notice that a lot of big label "healthy" foods are using more potassium rather than sodium. I'm no expert on sodium/potassium/blood pressure, so I can't say if switching out sodium for potassium a good thing.

PS: veggie black bean burgers are EASY to make in blender....and super tasty :)

Reactions: Lomad
It is getting somewhat easier. Lunch and breakfast are very easy. It is dinner that is hard. Especially with how busy our family is right now. Last night I came home late and my wife and son were at one of his functions so I was going to get fast food. I opted to get a giant bowl of froyo from the local froyo place instead. It was pretty amazing.

http://food52.com/recipes/7650-shav...dium=email&utm_source=FOOD52+Subscribers+List

That, and just add some Chick Peas. It is an amazing experience. :)

I do a lot of "pizza" too. I'm vegan so no cheese, but I cook the pizza crust (whole wheat), them spread on a bunch of hummus, and then top it with a saute of mushrooms, onions, peppers, and spinach. I could eat this every day.

Also, cube up some tofu into small cubes and marinade it in dried basil (2-3 tbsp for a single serving), ground fennel (1/4-1/2 tsp per serving), and olive oil (enough to coat it all) overnight, then toss it in with some pasta sauce over noodles, I actually came up with this right after going vegan and I ended up liking it more than meat sauce.

For further ideas/inspiration check out food52.com and search for vegetarian or vegan. They have a ton of interesting stuff. Good site for omnivores as well.

Reactions: OdiarAmor

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7