Using 4MM Cord for Huaraches

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Well, I get to take back my preference of leather straps as the perfect Huarache lace material. Over the past several weeks as I started using Huaraches in running more I have noticed that the between the toes pain and cutting feeling wasn’t getting better so I have opted to try something different than Latigo Lace Leather.

I went to REI and purchased some 3mm, 4mm and 5 mm cord. The cost was around $0.35 per foot and later I found that I could get that at 1/2 price atThe Trail House in Frederick, MD so shop around. I settled for now on 4 mm but may experiment later with the 5mm. 3mm seems marginal as a thickness and might cut into the toes.

The first thing I noticed was the knot between the toes was way too large and making it small enough was going to be a challenge so I came up with this method that seems to work well. After a few days of wearing the Huaraches. The pain between the toes is greatly relieved and there is no cutting feeling.

Starting with 6 feet of cord, more than enough for any style tying, the first step was to cut the line and lightly melt both ends. One end I melted to a point to assist threading into the sandal. The other end just a slight melt so I could pull out the center cord material from the nylon sheath.

WARNING: Be careful and if you can’t be careful, have an adult help you, even if you are over 18 and think you are an adult but don’t act like one. Hot nylon sticks to your fingers and will cause burns! You have been warned.

Lightly melt end of cord using a lighter, stove or other method – See warning above.

Pull back the nylon cord sheath and expose about 2-3 inches of inner twisted cord.

Cut away 2-3 inches of inner cord and melt the end to stop fraying

Melted end of white inner layer of cord after cutting

Pull the outer nylon sheath out over there the inner cord used to be. Make sure you grab the cord up a foot or so and slide your fingers as you pinch the line, towards the modified end. Grab the slightly limp modified cord end and give it a good tug so all the outer sheath is pulled tight. Melt the end of the outer sheath.

Now tie a figure 8 not in the modified narrow end of the line. This will create a large enough knot that it won’t slip through the Huaraches sole yet will be small enough to not be felt when wearing the huarache. I then gave the entire knot a little heat and melted it slightly. Probably not a necessary step. Once the inner cord material is removed, the knot in the outer material is very tight and won’t come untied.

The Final product. I am satisfied with how they feel show here tied in the slip on fashion.

http://standingontop.com/blog/?p=264

Nice job! I like the

Nice job! I like the cord...good to know you can get it at REI.