Update on my torn quad tendon

bfsailor

Barefooters
Feb 7, 2012
Erie, PA
It is now 13 weeks since my injury.
Saw the orthopedic doc yesterday and it's all good. He said I've improved a lot since he saw me 2 months ago, and I probably don't need to see him again as long as it doesn't start hurting any more! Yay!
He told me to keep up with my physical therapy and I can probably get back to running in about another 3 months. Yay again! I told him I did a 3-mile walk last weekend and it didn't bother me at all, so he said I could walk as much as I want as long as it doesn't cause any pain.
So it's still slow going, but definitely making progress!
Physical therapy sessions now include leg presses, leg raises with 4 lb. ankle weights, and 15 minutes on an elliptical. Pretty good considering that about 5 weeks ago I was having trouble walking up a flight of stairs without pain.

And the best part is that I do all my therapy barefoot - don't even take shoes with me. I think most of the staff there know I'm a barefoot runner, but no one has ever said anything to me about it.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Sounds similar to what I'm going through after bilateral total knee replacement. Just a quick question, how long before the quads no longer feel like steel cables and are actually able to stretch again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I didn't have that problem. I didn't have surgery even though the tendon was partially torn, and since about 4 days after it happened I've been seeing the physical therapist. Their treatment early on was nothing but stretching exercises - quads, hamstrings, and calf stretches. Also some time on a stationary bike. So I was staying pretty flexible, just had no strength in the knee at all. It was almost 8 weeks before I starting any strengthening exercises - leg presses, etc.

That is good news!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts