Reviewed By: miker

picture-599.jpg

Date Reviewed: 11/02/2010
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 3 Average

3rd & Boulder
Tulsa, OK
See map: Google Maps

The Tulsa Run is the largest road race in this area. This year there were 10,400+ runners participating overall. The Tulsa Run has a 15K, 5K and a 1K fun run. There were 4249 entrants in the 15K, 2353 in the 5K, and I guess the others ran the fun run. Or else they were on a team.
Anyway, the race starts @ 9:00 am in Downtown Tulsa, winds through the Cherry Street area, then works its way over to Riverside Drive. The course goes south on Riverside to 39th Street, where you turn around and head back towards Downtown. There is one pretty good climb, on Denver between Riverside & 15th Street, then it flattens back out. The race ends up beside the new Bank of Oklahoma Center (BOK Center).

This year they started using the B-tag system, which places the timing chips on the back of the bib. A real plus for barefooters!

I saw only myself and one other barefooter on the course. There may have been more but I don't think so. I noticed 4 or 5 people in Vibrams.

The road surface varies from asphalt to concrete, depending on where you are on the course. Part of Riverside Drive is older asphalt that was pretty rough to run on. May not bother someone who can do half/full marathons barefoot, but if your longest run is a 10K, your feet will be pretty tender after this stretch (mine were).

After the finish area, there is a large, paved area to meet up w/family & friends. Various vendor booths are set up, as well as a stage with a live band. There are some bleachers to sit on while listening to music.

The end of October in Oklahoma is a hit or miss proposition as far as weather is concerned. This year we had temps in the high 40's starting out and mid 50's by race end. It was sunny and an absolutely gorgeous day for a run. But it can also be rainy and cold, just depends on Mother Nature's whim.

Friendly people and a well organized race make this an annual event for many runners in NE Oklahoma. But I rate it "average" for barefoot friendliness because of the road surface. Other than the road surface, this is a great race.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7