Training to Eat

Another solid article. I almost never eat on my training runs but I have never had any issues eating during a race. I pretty much have a iron clad stomach. However, there are times during a race that certain things won't be appetizing but there always seems to be just enough options to get beyond that.

I tend to eat very little before my daily training runs, and i never fuel during them, Even my 'long' runs as part of a marathon buildup have often been done fasted and without fueling. However as ive switched focus to Ultra's ive started including what i call a 'time on feet' run every couple of weeks where the aim of the exercise is simply to spend as much time on my feet as possible. Then i dont worry about pace, or even distance covered, its all about being out for X hours, I pack a picnic lunch or two, and snack along the way...

I havent yet got to the point where i cannot or dont want to eat what i have with me, if or when i do i will almost certainly take to experimenting in training....

The old adage practice everything in training first still holds.

I've taken it as far as going for 15 miles right after finishing a Sonntagsbraten (Sunday roast with all the trimmings, including two big beers). Was slow going at first, but pretty soon turned into just another run.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7