training for snowshoe race?

For Xmas I got a season pass to X-Dog's 2011 events, yay!

However, the first event is a 4 or 8 km snowshoe race, in 4 weeks. I don't have snowshoes, and it doesn't really snow where I live, and though the nearby (45min) mountains have lots of it, I don't have a car, so at most I could get up in those conditions once before the race.

My question is, how can I train for this?

My experience tells me that

My experience tells me that just about no matter how you train you won't get in enough to actually condition you for the event. You're going to come out of it sore in new places.

Just hope it's cold and you don't have wet snow which can be truly awful in snowshoes. I've never seen a snowshoe race, but it should be on a broken trail, I would think, which would make the thing a bit better.

FWIW, my advice is to just have fun with it and don't try it BF under any circumstances.

Yeah, I was thinking about

Yeah, I was thinking about ankle weights. Also possibly trying to acquire a really crappy used pair of snowshoes and then try to run on grass or sand.

Chances are you going to be

Chances are you going to be running on groomers, you could technically get away without using snow shoes. Unless you are required to wear them?

Think they're required, it is

Think they're required, it is officially a snowshoe race. In any case the video from last year shows a lot of loose snow, which is normal on Mt. Hood, where they have huge, maybe 15-foot, poles marking the sides of the roads.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon