Training for hills without hills

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I'm planning on running my first marathon in May. I know it is a fairly hilly course but where I live there really aren't any hills to train on. I don't have or have access to a treadmill. How do I train for a hilly race without hills?

I read somewhere that one of

I read somewhere that one of the big trail runners used to run up flights of stairs. I can't remember who or where I read it though. But I guess he had access to a very large building and would train on the stairwells. If I can figure out a citation for that I'll post it.

Found

Found it

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/article.php?id=153&cat=5

Its under the "training section" but I copied and pasted it here for convenience-

Once a week, run up 2000-foot climb just below your lactic-acid threshold to build efficiency and confidence. If you have no mountains nearby, run the stairs of a high-rise. Zac Freudenburg, who placed eighth last year at the World Long Distance Mountain Running Championship, trains on a 45-story building in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri.

This is very helpful advise

This is very helpful advise for me, since I live in Manitoba, which most runners consider a speed bump a hill.

The tallest buildings in the

The tallest buildings in the area are 2 that are 3 stories, one is my building at work and the other is the Masonic build of which I'm a member so I can try them, work could be a problem bacause of liability stuff but the Masonic building could work.

Jason, you also mentioned bridges, I didn't even think of it before but I have an overpass 1/2 from my house and it had nice shoulders. I'm going with that for now and see how it works. Thanks for the tip, I know I'd get help here.

Bob, same here, my development has speed bumbp and I'm sure I look silly when I'm doing my hill work on them.

I know I get comments when I

I know I get comments when I run up and down the speedbumps, it hard keeping my steps so short to ensure I get the full effect of the up and down!!! LOL

what about a high school or

what about a high school or college football stadium? Those normally have some decent stairs and most likely if you ask they'll let you run them.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7