Trails vs Roads?

Wayne Whiting

Barefooters
Mar 8, 2012
I am new to this forum and new to BF running. I just completed my longest barefoot run yesterday - 6 miles on an asphalt bike path.

I have run 8 ultras from 50k to 100 miles and I cannot wrap my mind around doing any of these courses BF. Is it easier to run BF on trails or roads? I am anxious to try trail running BF, but worried about rocks, roots and other hidden surprises.

Where do I start?

In my experience barefoot trail running is slightly different, i.e. more demanding on the muscles than barefoot road running. I think it's important to do a bit of both to keep good form in any circumstance.
Of course, on natural surfaces it's likely to stub one's toe from time to time or to come down hard with the arch on a pointed rock - blue colored bruises under the foot are quite common at the beginning. But after some time the eye-brain-foot connections will be in place...
I think it helps in the beginning to explore a natural path (forest with plant stuff or dirt with gravel) by walking barefoot on it a couple of times to get the "feel" of its surface before actually starting to run.
Beware of too much too soon!!
And then there are trails and trails: From "not too technical" to "shin breaker" :D - I've no idea what kind your were used to run in shoes.
Anyway, when exploring longer trails of any kind barefoot it's a good idea to carry a pair of shoes with you (and a handy and a first aid kit).

you start where you are and not any further along. you've spent your life in shoes and it will take time to get to the same point bf. be patient or you'll get injured. it's a fun journey.

Reactions: DNEchris

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts