Trail Races Question...

richards

Barefooters
Aug 27, 2011
I normally try to avoid trail races, scared of a mary katherine gallagher moment. However, there is one comming up in November its a Fallen Warrior Memorial 5K that I feel I must run. So my question is, as I train and run more and more barefoot will my feet adapt to switch from asphalt to trail, or is there some trail running I should do before hand (which I'm sure I should)? or just throw on the VFFs? How many of you do run trails barefoot and do you have some tips that I could use?

Shannon

There are several MI

There are several MI BFRunners that are expert trail runners, a few that come to mind instantly are Jason R., sole_foot, and Smelph I believe runs trails barefoot as well.

Conditioning is important of course, and scanning the ground for objects becomes even more neccesary.

I only run trails in short sections that are included in road races, and I prepare for that by WALKING gravel and trails.

The longest trail segments I encounter in my 5K road races are 1/2 mile, and I always assume that injury is more probable than on the road.

The race you're planning on doing in Royal Oak this Saturday will be a good confidence builder, since it includes three seperate short sections of gravel roads, and one quick steep downhill on a grassy slope in a park that is covered with rocks and sticks. Only about 20 seconds worth, but a fun challenge to break up the road monotony. The three gravel sections also are only about 10-15 seconds each. The start and finish are in a park as well, and include about 20 seconds of park field w/ sticks and stones each.

Last year's Royal Oak race was in mid October, so possibly those sticks won't even be there this Sat.

That said think about this:

The Fallen Warrier 5K in Wyoming MI is in mid NOVEMBER!

At race start (9:00 am) typicaly the temp will be very close to the low for the day, which averages 31 degrees F. in mid November.

The odds of wet ground at that time and place are very high, and certainly autumn's winds will have knocked down plenty of tree twigs.

Can't remember if it was Ken Bob or someone else, but the saying " A numb foot is a dumb foot" comes to mind.

I would definitly plan on VFFs for that race and if it turns out to be non-numbing that morning you can always do it barefoot.

I've seen Jason run a 25K road race barefoot with a starting temp of a wet and windy 34 degrees, but he said it did take a few miles before the numbness went away. On a trail with objects on it numb feet might not make it past the first few miles!

"Shoes as tools when needed" is another saying who's author's name eludes me right now, but the Fallen Warrier 5K in Wyoming in mid-November sounds to me like it might be Tool-Time.

BTW, we spent several hours together last Sat and never ONCE did I see you lift your kilt nor sniff your fingers, so a MKG moment is probably unlikely.

I do worry about that possibility sometimes, like at the Soltice Run in Northville. The first half mile on the gravel racetrack, and the next 1/4 mile on the worst parking lot you've ever seen. I told my wife at the start that my goal was not to just finish, and that I would even accept injury, but PLEASE don't let me run past all the spectators at the end of the parking lot with blood pouring out from both feet!

Ran it last year and this past summer again, not a scratch.

I can for sure remember that it was Da Vinci that first observed that "the human foot is a marvel of engineering".

ok here's some advice:1) If

ok here's some advice:

1) If you plan to run bare, wewar some heavy socks to the event and don't take them off until jut about starting time.

2) if you're running in the cold, expect to require some "warm up" time for your feet. Last winter mine typically took about 10 minutes to warm up from a dead start (meaning standing around in sub 20F weather waiting for a training group run to begin). If you do a lot of jumping jacks, running in place, etc. you may be able to get your feet warmed beforehand.

3) trails are very different from asphalt, and some trails more so than others. The crushed limestone of a rails-to-trails type trail will be a nice regular surface with few obstacles and your main challenge will be dealign with the surface texture. Single track dirt trails are irregular and can/will involve navigating rocks, roots sticks and other nonsense (foot lift needs to be higher than on roads and this takes practice). If you plan on doing a trail race I suggest adding a fair amount of trail running ahead of time, especially if you are planning on trying it bare.

I agree with the Smelph -

I agree with the Smelph - just go out and run on some trails. The trick is to scout out a few before you commit to running them, so you can get the hang of it a bit gradually and be knowing fairly well what your're getting into. You don't want to meet your first trail on a race day. Also, I haven't been doing the BF running so long, only 16 months. I'm very confident in my own turf, but for a trail race on unknown surfaces, I think running in my VFF's makes perfect sense. My 2 favourite races have been a 10 mile and a 15K trail race. I would have been miserable had I tried those BF. The crushed stone sections would have drawn blood.

One other thought. Trail running is a different kind of excerise. Expect to be slower and to have it feel more intense. Your feet will enjoy the range of textures and you will spend a lot more energy "dancing" with the trail's topography. Enjoy it! You might find yourself preferring it to boring old roads or tame park paths.

I'd say get out there and

I'd say get out there and practice running on trails similar to the one you will be racing, and continue to do it as the weather gets colder. I would think by November, you'd be good to go. Be sure to wear warm socks the morning of to keep your feet while you're waiting for the start time, and wear lots of warm clothes everywhere including a hat. We've learned that as long as you keep your core warm, your feet will be warmer than if you did not keep you core warm.

I run trails occasionally/rarely, and each time, I have managed to do just fine in bare feet.

Good luck on your race. I think you can do this.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7