Took me 4 1/2 months to lose another 10 lbs.

If it takes someone 15 months to lose 15 lbs (rather than, say, losing it all quickly in 3 months as they had hoped) then they've arrived at the same endpoint of being 15 pounds lighter, but they've had an extra year to learn the habits of healthy lifestyle maintenance.

And if it takes 15 month to lose 15 lbs, and not three months, this means that 15 months after the start of your weight-losing journey, you're under the weight where you started... whereas someone who lost them in three months has gained some again...

----
What worked very good for me was a 'magical number'...
My weight has gone up and down for a few decades between 50 and 58 kg (No, I'm not skinny, I'm just short.)
Only a short time after having reached my goal-weight of 50 kg, I was going up again, never stayed on my weight for more than a few months, or even weeks.
Until I decided to go down to 49 kg... Once I was under that magical number of 50, my weight hasn't gone up above that weight anymore. The difference between 49.5 and 50 sounds so much more than between 50 and 50.5, that I was much more motivated to keep the 500 grams off that kept me from reaching 50 kg again, than to keep the 500 grams off that seperates 50 from 50.5.

I started at 310, got down to 178, broke my foot and have gained 10 back not being able to run (for some reason swimming doesn't peal as much weight off for me). I can honestly say the last 10 lbs were the hardest and the slowest, but I am trying to re-construct my thinking in terms of running. Can I do this comfortably. As long as I can run x miles at xx pace then I am fit. It is hard to do, but I am trying to learn to live without focusing on my diet. That said, and intense focus on my diet was needed.

For me it's been both physical activity (running and cycling) and change in diet. The biggest change I made in my diet is losing the soft drinks. I went from downing several 44-oz. drinks a week, in about an hour each time, to stopping cold turkey in January. Just last week I had my first soft drink in 8 months, a ginger ale, and I couldn't even drink the whole 12 oz. can. A few days later I had a Coke and again could not drink the whole 12 oz. can. That was Saturday evening I think, and I haven't had once since then. That has cut a TON of my sugar intake which has helped a lot I think.

I have also tried to reduce some of the fatty condiments like mayo and cheese on sandwiches, etc.

Reactions: migangelo
For me it's been both physical activity (running and cycling) and change in diet. The biggest change I made in my diet is losing the soft drinks. I went from downing several 44-oz. drinks a week, in about an hour each time, to stopping cold turkey in January. Just last week I had my first soft drink in 8 months, a ginger ale, and I couldn't even drink the whole 12 oz. can. A few days later I had a Coke and again could not drink the whole 12 oz. can. That was Saturday evening I think, and I haven't had once since then. That has cut a TON of my sugar intake which has helped a lot I think.

I have also tried to reduce some of the fatty condiments like mayo and cheese on sandwiches, etc.
Soft drinks are venom. I'm doing all I can to keep my kids off 'em. The only time I drink that crap is if I'm in some place with undrinkable water and a coke is all that's immediately available. Makes me feel crappy though. I think, like you say, most junk food becomes unpalatable once you've been off it for a while. Which is a good indicator that it's crap, unlike, say, a good ale or steak, which tastes all the better the more time that has passed since the last one.

I'm so jealous of you Patrick. I used to drink 1 can of 7up a day (prior to this was diet coke) and I quit that a while ago and did not lose 1 pound when I did. I sure felt better but quitting it did not affect my weight at all. Now I may have a 7up once a month or so and like you say it sure is hard to finish. I've never been able to lose weight just by changing my diet though.

Lee. you'd probably drop some weight if that growth on your abdomen were removed.

My way of saying "cute kiddo in your avatar..." without completely derailing the thread

Soft drinks are a killer, and hard to shake. I went over to sparkling water for 98% of my fizzy cravings (and beer. Can't forget the beautiful, beautiful nectar that is beer). I crave the carbonation, not the sweetness or other flavor. But if I ever go to the movies, which is rare, I love to have a fountain coke, extra ice. I'm from Atlanta, for cripe's sake; I'm pretty sure CocaCola is in my blood somehow.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I'm so jealous of you Patrick. I used to drink 1 can of 7up a day (prior to this was diet coke) and I quit that a while ago and did not lose 1 pound when I did. I sure felt better but quitting it did not affect my weight at all. Now I may have a 7up once a month or so and like you say it sure is hard to finish. I've never been able to lose weight just by changing my diet though.

Well I was running and cycling at the same time as cutting out the soda. So it wasn't just the cutting of the soda, but I'm sure that helped the weight loss along with the physical activity.

I was a Dr. Pepper addict for many years before quitting. We almost never keep soft drinks in our house, but I still managed to drink WAY too much of it - 44 oz. fountain drinks from the gas station near the office for 75 cents, any time I went out to eat, or over at my parents or in-law's house.

I don't drink anything at the movie theater, mainly because I don't want to miss any of the movie while having to use the restroom, and I don't want the pain and suffering of trying to hold it until it's over. So I just don't have anything. Which also helps my cheapskate-edness since I don't have to plunk down 4 bucks for a stupid fountain drink... that I could get for 75 cents from the gas station across the parking lot. :p

Reactions: migangelo
Soft drinks are venom. I'm doing all I can to keep my kids off 'em.
I'm with you...
We never gave our son anything sweetened to drink in the first years of his life, apart from some (very diluted) apple juice.
And some day, when he was about 4 years old, his niece offered him a glass of coke. He took a carefull sip, looked a bit skeptical, and asked her: 'Are you sure this isn't something poisoned?' This was the first and the last sip of coke he ever took.
Growing a bit older, he sometimes drank a glass of lemonade, but since he's about 12, he hasn't drunk anythink but water and sometimes a glass of fresh fruit juice.
And believe me, I'm happy about that!

patrick, good for you. losing weight isn't really that hard. keeping it off is the real problem. we cut things out to lose and once we add it back into our "diet" we find that weight and then some. don't lose weight, drop it. anything you lose you can find.

don't do anything labeled "diet, low fat, fat free." eat real foods. fat is good for you. god got our food right, not man. you can make your own mayo and other condiments with less or without any sugar or fake stuff. there are lots of recipes online. you just have to get used to the taste of real food without all the sugar.

when i went to europe in june i lost 4 lbs in a week. they have all real food there. it sickens me to go out to eat here. everything is frozen and processed and laden with sugar. there is almost no real food left here in america. you have to do it at home and can't go out to many places and let someone else cook and clean for you.

damn i ramble when i drink. somebody cut me off already.

there is almost no real food left here in america.

We were in America for three weeks in July, and the most difficult part was to find 'real' bread. I'm used to bake my own bread, and the only ingredients are rye, water, rye-sourdough and salt (sometimes with nuts and/or seeds added). But look at the list of ingredients of an American bread... And the breads that were decent, costed about $ 5.00
On the other hand: in many supermarkets the choice of organic grown vegetables was larger than in Belgian supermarkets... (But the choice of processed and prepared foods was even larger... )

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon