TOFP

Mike

Barefooters
Oct 22, 2010
In my first weeks running I had TOFP on and off, but it totally went away in a week or two. This week my right foot(only) has TOFP again but not the same kind... It feels almost like when I used to wake up with leg cramps as a kid.(which I was always told were growing pains) But only being in one foot seems odd to me...

I just wanted to ask you guys about it, and see if any of you have had this before I go trying to change things. I am taking 3-5 days off as of tomorrow to let it work itself out.

you'll know more after you

you'll know more after you rest it. sometimes these things happen. we get aches and pains and have to rest to allow them to clear out. if all is well after you've given it a few days then no biggie. if it's worse then you know you have a real issue and if it's still lightly there then you might some correction as well give your feet some tlc (strengthening, stretching, rolling, etc)

I've had pretty bad TOFP on

I've had pretty bad TOFP on my left foot only...could be that one foot is weaker than the other, or one foot has better form than the other. Just know you're not alone. I had to take a month off because I was literally limping around the house with TOFP...just on my left. My right felt fine as can be. Very weird/interesting.

Yes, it is very weird, the

Yes, it is very weird, the number of barefoot and minimalist running getting TOFP. I never had it really. I had some aching on the top for a couple of days but nothing that stopped me from running. Could that be because I have walked around barefoot or in flip-flops most of the time before I took up BFR? Are those of you who are experiencing TOFP used to wearing shoes, shoes with enclosed structures, shoes with elevated heels? It is a very interesting phenomenon, and I wish there were studies about it.

I have had TOFP twice since I

I have had TOFP twice since I started running BF. Neither time was bad enough to stop me from running, but the second time I took 5 days off just because I was really afraid of a stress fracture. I have rarely ever worn shoes for more than a few hours at a time, and never at home. Maybe my lack of shoe wearing is why my TOFP is rare and mild... My main problem area is just above the ankles on the insides of my legs, not sure if its a weak tendon or what the deal is. But it hurts occasionally when I run, and ALWAYS hurts when I use the treadmill. :puzzled:

I overran during training for

I overran during training for my first tri, tried to run too fast and my stride went to pieces, and woke up the next day with serious TOFP. I was grumpy for the next two weeks while I didn't run to let it heal so I could finish my training hard. Luckily, the second week of my week off was a recovery week so I didn't miss out as much as I could have, but I know my runs suffered because I was (and still a little am) more paranoid about any little twinge. I'd been running in VFFs for a while but was still fixing my stride and made a stupid mistake. Haven't really had since, but after any run over an hour I usually ice my right foot. Ice won't hurt and it could help. Six minutes on, six off, with a Dixie cup. Since I started going barefoot at the end of my runs for a mile or more I've been more concerned with blisters and rock-created minor dings than with any TOFP.

I had TOFP that led to a

I had TOFP that led to a stress fracture. And my hunch is that two factors contributed to my problem: I'm 43, and I've worn shoes all my life (even in the house). I think that made for weak feet and when I tripled my miles over the summer, my feet didn't appreciate it!

Mike, be sure to ice that

Mike, be sure to ice that area as often as you can and take some anti-inflammatories. InflammaRest is a natural product if you have an aversion to the RX blend.

Yeah, relaxing can be a big

Yeah, relaxing can be a big problem. My right foot tends to get more little pains than my left foot, not because my left foot has better form, (its actually the noisy one, always slaps just a little) but because my left foot is way more relaxed. Actually my left side in general, I also only get a sore calf on my right side. So just relax, relax, relax! And its actually helpful to let your mind wander when you run, focusing to much on your feet will just cause you to mess them up. Don't ignore your feet, they have good information, but just let the reaction to feedback be natural, instead of trying to consciously force your feet to land in a certain way.

I will be the first to admit

I will be the first to admit I was an uncomfortable shoe junkie before I went barefoot.

My transition has been very slow: it took me 6 months to get to a 3 mile distance. I will readily blame the 2 years I spent walking around Chicago in high heels (career gal that a I was, I'd book MILES in those things) and having a deep love of narrow-toed shoes, loafers, etc. I am surprised my feet are so square and healthy. Gotta thank my hippie mom for their shape, and my past yuppie lifestyle for their weaknesses.

Your feet don't look (from

Your feet don't look (from your avatar) like they've been kept in toe-squeezing shoes, Mary. Your toes and the shape of your forefoot are wider than I would expect for such high-heeled "abuse." Lucky you.

Yeah, I spent a lot of my

Yeah, I spent a lot of my childhood barefoot tearing around the woods, making trouble.

It's only recently I've tortured them...now I'm only 24 so they haven't had much time in shoe prison. It was a short sentence. Hah. :D

That's great for you!  Just

That's great for you! Just keep them that way, right?

I've recently started getting

I've recently started getting TOFP and outside arch and ankle pain in my left foot. I don't think it is running related though as I've not run in 6 weeks and the pain has only started in the past 3 weeks. I have been going barefoot or in thongs all the time when not at work but that is nothing new for me. The pain is intermitent but getting more regular and more painful. I'm going to see the doctor about it as soon as I can organise an appointment.

In the mean time, anyone know what some of the common causes might be and treatment suggestions?

That is very strange, PK.  I

That is very strange, PK. I wish you speedy healing.

Was hoping I'd been granted

Was hoping I'd been granted immunity, but woke up yesterday with TOFP that seems to have a focus in the area of the metatarsal head. Given the ability of pain to radiate though, I can't locate it with precision. I've had a lot of stiffness in my right ankle that my chiro had been helping me with, actually thought I was getting a better release the last couple of days. Will try to rest it, but I get awfully antsy when I don't run... maybe I'll take up drinking :beer:

That's a bummer, Tex.  Hope

That's a bummer, Tex. Hope you get over this soon.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts