Toenail problem

I have a newly developing problem. This started about a week ago. I noticed that the nail of each hallux had grown incredibly thick (and I do mean thick!) and both look like they are growing in anew since it appears that a straight line at the cuticle area has formed and the nail is remarkably thinner and growing out, albeit very slowly as toenails are wont to do. Due to this slow growth, assuming it is growing in thinner is of course just that, an assumption.

In addition, each luna (the crescent shaped part) is no longer crescent shaped but kind of weirdly shaped like it's expanding in some places. This could be because the newer nail is growing in differently, but I am guessing again.

Lastly, there is an area at each toenail front edge where it appears the nail is separating from the bed more than is normal

I have been wearing VFFs everyday for months now, and I have found many of my foot and toe related problems are correcting themselves, like hammer toes regaining normal shape, and separation, and formerly yellowed nails are becoming nice and clear from my toes not having to remaining compressed together in a sweaty environment promoting fungal growth. Yay for minimal footwear! My big toes have straightened out but the nails had remained at an angle, which had caused some discomfort as the fabric seams from the KSOs kind of ran over the places where the nail and skin met at the inside edge of the nail, but recently the pain from the skin being squeezed against the nail has gone, probably due to the thickening nail lifting the fabric away from the skin area. I'm not complaining about this because it was the one factor that had me considering wearing different footwear for a while.

My halluxes (sp?) have strengthened greatly, and I have noticed that the joint behind the toenails which used to be visible has essentially disappeared and now both big toes appear to be one long digit. This could be from being forced into being used daily, and also from not being forced upwards by toe spring. I was hoping that my hallux nails would eventually become healthier (and straighter), and I am hoping this is what is occuring, but I have looked online, and aside from nail disease, or injury, I am not finding much regarding nail shedding due to developing healthy foot habits.

I guess what I am asking is this: Am I wrong for wanting to wait this out and see this as a potentially healthy event, or should I just get myself to a doc (and have to defend my newly developed footwear choices) because I have somehow developed a serious disease process simultaneously in both big toes when all my other nails have gotten heathier?

Sorry for the length of the post, and congratulations to you personally if you managed to get to the end with sanity intact.

John

i believe one of two things

i believe one of two things will happen. he will prescribe you somethlng and say wait and see what happens. two, he will pull off the toe nails and say wait and see when they grow back. either way your going to pay to be told to wait and see what happens. i think if they were diseased, you'd know it.

That's was along the lines of

That's was along the lines of another thought I had. Looks like mother nature will take her course. Wish I had a camera with macro capability to document this, as it seems like it is rare from my not being able to find anything on the web about it. For now I'll put off tossing money at the insurance company until something more dramatic happens. Thanks for the second opinion!

John

Some of my toe nails are

Some of my toe nails are thicker too. They don't look odd, but they are definitely thicker. I agree with Phil. If they're not bothering you, I wouldn't worry about it. If you think you have a fungus or something though, then I would see a doctor, doesn't sound like you do though.

I would suggest consultation

I would suggest consultation with your doctor. Some nail problems can get really hard to cure when you leave it untreated

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts