Toe socks for cold weather

Derbian

Barefooters
May 7, 2012
I am looking for some advice on some warm, but not too bulky toe socks. I wear Merrell Tough gloves daily but prefer to wear toe socks for a more natural foot movement. Any suggestions?

I have some Injinji's that are very thin, and some others that are about medium weight. They are damn pricey, though, and IMHO your toes will not stay as warm as they would in regular socks.

I wear regular "no-show" socks (Hanes I think) that just barely come up past my heel, with my Stem Primal Origins, and have no problems with natural foot movement as compared to when I wear them without socks.

I have a pair of Injinji Outdoor series that use Nuwool and they are really comfortable. They are probably thicker than you are looking for, but they are pretty warm. I have recently used them with my huaraches for a run in temperatures in the upper 30's/low 40's F. I do use them with my Vibram's as well, but they get pretty tight with the Injinji's. I also have a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves and I can't wear socks with them as they are sized too tight, but they work well for me without socks even in cooler weather because of how well they fit. Of course, that's my individual preference.

I got a pair of Injinji Nuwool and a pair of Injinji CoolMax. The Nuwool are definitely warmer than the CoolMax but they come out smaller/shorter for the same Medium size.
I have also some cheap pairs of toesocks in coton (not a known brand) They do come in handy for VFF to avoid the stink, but they are not as comfy as the Injinji.

in another forum there are a few people that swear by wearing boiled wool tabi socks. you could look into those. one guy wears them in snow with huaraches.

I've been wearing smartwool toe mini crews with my Luna's (73% wool). When it was really cold (for me) the other day (19f with a 3f windchill) I put a pair of cotton tabi socks over top. My feet were toasty warm. I could have easily gotten away without the tabi socks over top though.

I see that Bedrock sandals are selling wool tabi socks. I'll have to try them.

http://bedrocksandals.com/ninja-socks/

I've tried various Injinji and Smartwool socks. I'm not to familiar with what else Smartwool has (it was a gift) but the Injinji realize they have various series with various weights and hieghts. The Performance series is synthetic cool max whatever, and the Outdoor series is Nuwool which is a merino wool / nylon blend. For day to day activities I like the thinest lightweight or 'ultra thin interface' ones. In the wool series this limits you to no-sho or quarter crew though, good for when I am wearing shorts but I hate wearing pants with that little bit of skin showing between, especially at work with dress shoes and pants. So I also have some of their performance series in ultra thin crew length.

For running in the cold though, the original weight outdoor series in crew length would be my choice.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7