Toe Nails

luism

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
What is the purpose of the toe nails??? I started running
completely barefoot 2 months ago and have ocasionally returned to
VFF's while some of my toes heal from cuts caused by my toe nails!!
Even cutting them really short does not help. Today, I started using
nail file and got them really short (a little shorter than the edge of
my toe). Any hints?

So are you getting cut by

So are you getting cut by your toenails during your barefoot runs?? I personally don't have this problem though I'd imagine that filing them on the sides would help a bit. Or you could go as far as to tape the nails that both you most. Are you allowing your toes to splay when running?

I imagine it could happen if

I imagine it could happen if your toes are a bit crooked or that there simply isn't enough space between your toes. Do you round the sides of the nails so there isn't any sharp edges?
You say 2 months of barefootrunning, which means your feet are still adjusting.
I recommend walking barefoot as much as possible. The more your feet are free the more they will "spread out" (Like growing a round melon in a square box, In the end the melon will take shape of the square and not "spread out" as it normally would. Just like shoes and feet)

Before I began going barefoot I couldn't spread my toes but after spending alot of time in my bare feet I could move my toes with much more control and efficiency.
It takes a bit of time for the feet to fully adjust after spending years in isolation, and if you normally wear tight shoes (outside of running) that will only slow the process.

You could also try to spread your toes with your fingers each morning/night for a period of time and see if that helps?

Toenails are useless. I know

Toenails are useless. I know a few ultrarunners that have purposely removed their toenails. Take a plier and rip them up and out, it's not as painful as it looks.

My pinky toe was the only toe that turned it, now running barefoot for a comlete year, all my toes are splayed out.

Take a plier and rip them up

Take a plier and rip them up and out, it's not as painful as it looks.

Remember to take pictures for TJ.

Yes, please, pictures...

Yes, please, pictures...

It seemas this is not as

It seemas this is not as common as I tought. I started with VFF in Nov
2009. I use vivo shoes for work, VFF anywhere else and barefoot at home. Pretty much my
feet have been free for a year. My nail shape is a little triangular and
pointy at the edge. I hope this will change with time. Tomorrow I'll try
again with my recent cut/file nails. Thanks for the advice

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon