Toe Inflamation

New to minimalist

Barefooters
Sep 29, 2011
I'm a 60 year old runner and I've been running for 22 years. A few years ago I developed a bend in my middle toe on the right foot. The middle knuckle bent upwards after a 10 mile trail race. My Dr. put me in orthonics and I had no problems after that. A week ago I started using New Balance Minimalist shoes without the orthonics and the bend returned as well as a nasty blister that's right on top of the knuckle.

Is minilmalist running not for me or is it too much too soon. I really like the shoes and running with the "good Form Running" approach.

I'm not a doc, so one should

I'm not a doc, so one should chime in here shortly, but...

Have you thought about running without your shoes to see if it improves or doesn't worsen?

Thanks for th e reply. I' ve

Thanks for th e reply. I' ve not tried barefoot yet and not sure I could go that far. Frankly it sounds very painful!

Oh, it's not painful at all. 

Oh, it's not painful at all. In fact, you get to where you start to crave it like a massage for your feet. Just start out for maybe an 1/8th of a mile on some clean, flat concrete or asphalt. Try it tomorrow, and let me know how you liked it.

New to minimalist wrote:I'm

New to minimalist said:
I'm a 60 year old runner and I've been running for 22 years. A few years ago I developed a bend in my middle toe on the right foot. The middle knuckle bent upwards after a 10 mile trail race. My Dr. put me in orthonics and I had no problems after that. A week ago I started using New Balance Minimalist shoes without the orthonics and the bend returned as well as a nasty blister that's right on top of the knuckle.

Is minilmalist running not for me or is it too much too soon. I really like the shoes and running with the "good Form Running" approach.

Hi Newbie! I'm glad you are trying out different way of running.

How much have you been trying to run over the past week? It is quite likely you are trying to do too much too soon. If you have been running for 22 years, then adding orthotics later, your feet are just not ready to handle miles and miles barefoot or minimalist running.

Hammer toe as you are describing usually is a result of ill fitting shoes, especially ones that are too narrow. I haven't run in the NB shoes but I've had them on and the toe box is more narrow than I prefer. You already know that the bilster was caused when the toe flexed up again and started to rub inside the shoe.

To really answer your question will take some more time. First things first, you have to strengthen your feet and lower legs before doing major milage. TJ had an exellent suggesstion. Take the shoes off, and do 200 yards barefoot on concrete. You will learn correct form quickly because it will hurt to not run correctly. Scrunching up a towel with your toes will help to strengthen the toe flexors up initially, then you can start picking things up with your toes while balancing on the other leg. Your legs and feet will be sore initially as you start to use the muscles again. I use a rolling pin to massage them out, or you can get a foam roller or "the stick". Rolling pins are cheap and most of us could acquire one in about 30 seconds by going to the kitchen. I have one that is dedicated to feet and legs, and leave my wife's in the kitchen. :)

Running is already a lifelong pastime of yours, so don't rush this new approach. Enjoy the process and take it slow. There are a few cape-wearing superheros out there that can transition really fast, but they are few and far between. Try to hit up a Michigan Chapter meet-up and get some tips and instruction. There is a ton of books available on the subject, and videos on you-tube, and blog posts to read. Here's a short one I did on form: http://barefootchiropractor.blogspot.com/2011/09/visualization-of-barefoot-running-form.html

It's a basic post but I find that taking a lot of different people's advice helped me understand form better when I was first starting. Give this new process some time and dedication and take it slow. Let us know how you are doing!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon