These shoes aren't made for running...

Pes Planus

Barefooters
May 12, 2012
Germany
It seems like the Zem Playas are not made for running (very comfy though)... :D

07022013297.jpg

P.S. I am aware that they advise not to use them for running on their website (only saw this now though :( )

Reactions: Sid
In theory (that means, I've read it in a barefoot running book), if your form is perfect, you should be able to run in ordinary socks without them becoming ripped apart: "Feet only lightly touching the ground without any friction" or something like that :D.
But then, it probably depends also on the kind of underground you're running on.

Then socks could be used as a training tool for running gently.

I have a pair of Zems . I haven't used them yet, because they looked flimsy and appeared more suitable as house slippers. I still haven't figured out what role if any they'll serve in my running. Actually, maybe I will just use them as house slippers!

Looks like even the Zem folks agree (from their FAQ):

I am not sure what style to buy, help me decide:
  • Here is a simple guide:
    • Activities in rugged terrain, outdoors and indoors: Terra
    • Running/Vigorous activities/outdoor/indoor: 360 (outdoor) or 02 (indoors) and Terras
    • Indoor workouts including such activities as yoga, pilates, Zumba, etc.: Ninja or Playa Originals, O2s and Terras
    • Indoor workouts including treadmill running, weightlifting, elliptical, etc.: 360 or 02 and Terras
    • Outdoor beach/water activities: H20s, ninja low/high, playa low/high and O2s
    • Travel, leisure, general use: Wellness, Travelers and 360s
    • Great for Kids feet in all environments: Terra Kids

Reactions: BFwillie_g
The Zems Terra looks a bit more adapted for running. Anybody tried them?

View attachment 1578
If you have wide feet the Terras may be a bit tight. I was hoping to really like them when I ordered them but they were too narrow for me so I had to send them back. Bob said he used to deal with Zem and had a bunch of returns due to them falling apart. Now, these were the older models so maybe these are constructed better. When I had gotten them they felt well constructed, but since I never got to actually were them out for training I really couldn't say for sure. Good luck with these if you get them.

The Zems Terra looks a bit more adapted for running. Anybody tried them?
View attachment 1578
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I discovered these shoes recently, found them rather interesting and I was wondering if someone here would have tried them and could give us his/her feelings.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I discovered these shoes recently, found them rather interesting and I was wondering if someone here would have tried them and could give us his/her feelings.

I got the Terras last fall but have only put about 28 miles on them. I started having ankle issues about the same time and took the winter off from running. No problems with them in the spring. In retrospect, I think the issues were my form was off and increasing milage about the same time.

I got the split toe version because they didn't have my size otherwise. I have Raynauds, so I worried about the toe isolation and getting too cold but in the temperatures I ran in (between freezing and 50F/10C) that was no problem. I think they would be too warm above 50F. I might try them below freezing this winter if there's no wind and after warming them over the heating vent.

The sole seems like a really tough rubber--no appreciable wear yet. The toughest parts are segmented which allows the whole sole to be flexible. I don't notice any advantage from the split toe. As you can see from my pic, my big toe points in some and this makes the sole around the split rub against itself. Because of that, I can't flex my toe up and down in them like barefoot, but stepping on a rock or something wouldn't stop it from flexing.

Overall, I like them and will run in them more this fall and winter.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts