The Things Kids Say....

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
I'm a teacher, and I alternated riding my bicycle and running to school during the week.

On my way home this afternoon, as I passed a mom and her kids walking home from school, a little girl called out, "Where's your bike?"
She was maybe 7.
"It's at home," I said.
"Why?" she asked.
"Today I'm running home," I said.
"That's not running," she said. "That's not even jogging. That's like walking,"

Sigh......given my pace, she wasn't that far from the truth.:D

Some years back, I was out riding with a couple of friends, one of which had streamers on her handlebars (she's an overgrown child). We pull up to an intersection to stop for a light and a kid (maybe 7 or so) on the corner tells her: "Everybody is different, but you." The sheer philosophical implications of that still creates vapor lock in my mind.

I wonder what happens to us that makes us stop doing that? Awareness? Social pressure?

Not running related but ...

I had a friend who was at the grocery store with his 3 year old daughter. There was a lady in line ahead of them who was ... um, very well endowed, and wearing a very tight shirt that showed off that fact. His daughter quite loudy and clearly told her, "You need a bigger shirt, your shirt's too small!" My friend changed lines with much embarrassment. :oops:

My little just-turned-three year old is a poster child for this thread. The other day at the counter of my local bakery, she looked at the two young girls serving and said to me "Which one is skinnier than the other one?". One was clearly carrying a little more weight than the other, but not what I'd call overweight. I couldn't really explain to her why that isn't a good thing to say that, so I just hoped nobody heard her. :)

Her best talent is coming up with words based on her understanding of the language. Here in Australia, people will often buy a "Babycino" - a steamer or frothed milk drink for their kids - in coffee shops. A few months ago I asked the little one if she wanted to go and get a hot chocolate and she said "and we can get a Ladycino for Mummy".

So a few years back (maybe 15-18 years ago), a couple of my cousins and I were at my grandmothers and we were reminiscing about when we were little kids, and we remembered how we used to call my one cousin (yes she was there with us while reminiscing) a name. Her name is Jennifer but as little kids her brother and I used to call her Jenni-fart. Not very nice at all and I was apologizing again for like the millionth time when my little cousin heard us talking about this. She then started blurting out Jenni-fart Jenni-fart Jenni-fart! My Grandma who was right there started getting after her and telling her that is not nice to say. Well, my little cousin scrunched up her face (you could see the little wheels in her brain just a going), when all of a sudden she yelled out Gramma-fart! Oh my, I learned when I was a little kid never to cross my grandmother, well this day my little little cousin learned too. Wow, I to this day still can't believe she said that. We give her a hard time about it now whenever we are all in town at the same time.

My kid will be 3 just after Christmas, but he's still not talking yet. It sure is frustrating trying to figure out what he wants and listening to him whine, grunt, and scream all the time. But when he does talk I'm sure we'll have embarrassing moments such as these. :p

Oh and just recently we were at my inlaws and my wife went to go use the restroom. My 2 1/2 year old toddler ran around going, Momma poopin, momma poopin! He gets all sorts of excited about that stuff! It's soooo cute and funny!

I'm a teacher, and I alternated riding my bicycle and running to school during the week.

"That's not running," she said. "That's not even jogging. That's like walking,"

Sigh......given my pace, she wasn't that far from the truth.:D

Hahahahaha, that's too funny, did your face went all red?

My kid will be 3 just after Christmas, but he's still not talking yet. It sure is frustrating trying to figure out what he wants and listening to him whine, grunt, and scream all the time. But when he does talk I'm sure we'll have embarrassing moments such as these. :p
Be careful what you ask for. My daughter took a long time to start speaking. But once it started, it n...e...v...e...r... stops. Talking begins the moment she wakes up and then only stops after I close the door at bedtime. :eek:

Reactions: scedastic