The Running Drunk

ThomDavid

Barefooters
Sep 10, 2012
Oceanside California USA
I know that this isn't strictly about barefoot running, but on the occasion of my twenty-sixth anniversary of sobriety today, I thought I'd share this terrific article I ran across. Even if you don't share my particular, uh, proclivity toward uncontrollably excessive imbibing, it's well-worth the read:

http://www.thefix.com/content/former-drunks-unstoppable-runners91097

I could almost relate to that. After I finished my schooling and discovered beer and ladies I was easily led astray. After a couple of years like that I decided enough and stopped doing all the bad stuff (well, almost all ;)) and decided to take up running again. My first goal was to do a marathon the next year. Never missed it after that, still enjoy a sociable IPA every no and then. :D

Reactions: Sid
Thanks for sharing this interesting article. And happy 26th!

but on the occasion of my twenty-sixth anniversary of sobriety today

Congrats on the anniversary. That is an amazing feat within itself.

I'm a big fan of thefix.com and use some of the articles at work (social worker at a substance abuse facility).

Congrats, Thom!

Interesting article. I have a family member who is battling with alcohol at the moment. I don't think I'll send him the article because it is a little too jocular (or maybe that's just because I haven't got my head around it enough to see the funny side), but I will suggest running to him as something he should think about doing.

Reactions: PB Junkie
Congratulations, Thom. I'm coming upon 2 years, myself. Though I've been running for 24 years, I'm sure the fact that I was a runner helped when I hung up my drinking shoes. :barefoot:

Congratulations, RP. 2 years is no easy feat. And the living paradox that is the running drunk never ceases to amaze me. I remember getting blackout-worthy drunk, working out feverishly the next day while nursing a vicious hangover, ostensibly to better my health, then getting into the car and immediately lighting up a cigarette. By evening, I'd start the whole cycle over again. If THAT isn't insanity, I don't know what is! :)

Glad to hear you've hung up those shoes, drinking or otherwise!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7