The joys of Winter Running

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I have two to offer:

First, my last two runs were in the late PM, just as the sun was sarting to fade. I loved how , even though my bare feet were cold, they weren't numb. I knew this because I could tell quite clearly how damn cold the pavement was. I could tell as I went from pavement that was on a north slope and hadn't seen any sun and was HARD cold, then as I came over the hill to south slope path that had a nice bit of residual warmth that brough it up to almost reasonable.

Another was one of those Whoa! moments. I had followed the path on my way out, but coming back I took my customary shortcut over a little rise, and was crossing some crusty snow, only about 15 feet wide, when my right leg went through and down..and down until I was stuck with one toe pointing straight down and still not touching ground and my other perpendicular to it. I got out after a bit, but by then had lost most of my momentum.

Anyone else have any Winter Wonder moments?

I had to go potty in the

I had to go potty in the woods right between two neighborhoods yesterday on my run, and I mean I HAD TO GO! You ask how is this a Winter Wonder moment? Well, during the winter time, there's no leaves on the trees. Peek-a-boo!

My favorite experience of

My favorite experience of winter snow running so far has been the way a few inches of snow on a path feels on the bottom of my feet. At first it's really cold, and you can feel your foot numb quickly. But then it seems to reach an equilibrium where you feet reach the coldest temp that they are going to reach. Then you feel the sensation of the cold snow on your feet, but yet they stay nice and toasty warm. I find that so awesome. I almost feel like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to be doing, cheating mother nature or something.

I've enjoy how quickly my

I've enjoy how quickly my feet warm up on the dry sidewalk...1 mile and they're ready to be set free! Even at freezing...it's so cool! Literally....

My favorite part of the winter has been in moccasins, though. Ran through a blizzard the other day and while the cars were sliding around in the snow, I found myself more stable on slush and ice than ever before. Thanks, barefoot form + soft star trail sole!

At just the perfect moment my Mp3 player swtiched to Johnny Mathis's "Sleigh Ride" and it was...perfect. Also perfect taking my headphones out as I neared the athletic fields, watching the snow fall silently and hearing my feet squeaking in the fresh snow. Awesome.

I can't wait to go back to Michigan this week!!!! I'm gonna do so much snow running it's gonna make my mummy nervous I'll get hypothermia or slip and fall and cut my head open! HA!

Right now it's about 55 degrees F in Denver. Lame!

Ahhhhh but I just got back

Ahhhhh but I just got back from my run and I got to enjoy MUD between my toes, and dry dirt, and running on snow without freezing my feets! Bad news is my soles are gettin soft from running in dumb moccasins...

The only joy in winter

The only joy in winter running is the running part. -8 fahrenheit this morning. I waited until the thermometer rose above zero before I motivated myself to get out the door for 12. Half the battle is getting out the door and the first couple of miles. When I see words joy and running in regards to a particular season my vote is for spring and fall. I persevere through the real hot and cold months. I will admit there are days but I have more joyfull runs in the more temperate months. My hat is off to all of you barefoot winter runners. I question whether I could have completed my run today barefoot without doing some damage. Be careful out there and stay warm fellow runners of the cold and white stuff!

Zero an less than zero -

Zero an less than zero - that's serious cold! You are forgiven for not mustering too much enthusiasm. On the other hand my hat (and mittens) are off to you for making it out the door at all. Wow!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon