The holy grail of minimalist dress/casual shoes - VIVO Oak review!

The Holy Grail of minimalist dress/business-casual shoes, for me, would have more toe room, more ventilation, shorter drying time and a narrower back end, than what any of the Vivobarefoot shoes provide.

Haha! Nyah, I guess they are not quite perfect, but they are pretty darn near it. Drying time and ventilation are really a non-factor for me because I'm a teacher and rarely make it to the outdoors during my work day (sadly). I really don't see how you can possibly pack any more toe room into a shoe, though. This sucker is W I D E. Lots of horizontal and vertical space for toe splay - more than any other shoe I own, actually. A narrower heel would have been an improvement, but that's a small niggle for me.

Haha! Nyah, I guess they are not quite perfect, but they are pretty darn near it. Drying time and ventilation are really a non-factor for me because I'm a teacher and rarely make it to the outdoors during my work day (sadly).
Ventilation and drying time are important to me because even the act of walking makes feet sweat. If the shoe has a leather upper, the moisture gets absorbed by the leather and, like cotton, takes a long time to dry. Festering foot sweat is, to say the least, very unhygienic. Compound that with the fact that dress shoes are the most likely kind to be worn all day without a break. Therefore my "holy grail" dress shoe would have upper panels made of some kind of felted animal fiber (wool, alpaca, etc) rather than leather/suede. As long as the fibers are all one color (i.e. not heathered), it can look as classy as leather.

I really don't see how you can possibly pack any more toe room into a shoe, though. This sucker is W I D E. Lots of horizontal and vertical space for toe splay - more than any other shoe I own, actually. A narrower heel would have been an improvement, but that's a small niggle for me.
Vivobarefoot shoes are big in all dimensions except where they need to be (and I'm not the first to publicly say that). Just looking at the bottom of the shoe, you can tell that it was made using a conventional shoe last. In order for my toes just to feel comfortable in the Vivos, the whole shoe has to be upsized a lot and then it's too big everywhere except in the toebox. My "holy grail" of shoe fit would be more like that of the Altra Adam, where everything is snug except the toebox.

Reactions: Sid
Ventilation and drying time are important to me because even the act of walking makes feet sweat.
Definitely agree. Years ago, even before going barefoot and minimalist, I had that problem. I ended buying two pairs of shoes at a time, but sometimes they still took too long to dry out. So I ended up getting a shoe dryer. It works great. I come home and put the shoes on the dryer and remove yesterday's pair and wear those the next morning.

Vivobarefoot shoes are big in all dimensions except where they need to be
Definitely agree. I was quite disappointed in their shoes at first. I had the Evo, which felt a bit tight. I made do with the Hamilton for a while by using a shoe stretcher. The Neo was a bit wider. Now, I wear the Dharma and Aqua Lite, which are definitely wider than the other shoes. They do have some wider models, but one has to look carefully.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7