The barefoot runner qualification thread

For me, it's not so much the

For me, it's not so much the cold (with sun I think it would be fine), it's the dark. I do most of my running after sundown.

Even BF purists are going to

Even BF purists are going to need shoes in cold-wet Winter. You can't use your running form for all outdoor activities, so the next best thing is a minimalist shoe that accommodates sock-wearing.

You guys are all the best.  I

You guys are all the best. I just saw this thread and started to cringe when I realized Abide was referring to what I said. Honestly, I was kind of feeling badly for having said what I did. The last thing I want to do is make a bunch of people (whom I've never met!) mad at me!

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and showing me that most of you think the way I do. "Go as low as you can go and then put something on."

It's going to be an interesting winter!

the cold feels fantastic on

the cold feels fantastic on my feet. I do not anticipate wearing shoes at all this winter...but that's me, I would never presume to tell someone else that they shouldn't adopt a FAT attitude towards winter-time wear....here in Central PA, it doesn't get much colder than 20 degrees F. that often :).

Rick has proven it possible.

Rick has proven it possible. The question is are you tough enough?

....... I say this of course while living in Los Angeles :)

Anyone want to fly Burt out

Anyone want to fly Burt out to the midwest during a snow storm? Anyone?

I thought you were mad at me

I thought you were mad at me because the link goes to one of my posting.

Today I went for a run with a BFR. He started off barefoot and I had on a pair of thin black dress socks. Temp was ~32, dry, no sun. After 2 k my friend was numb and stopped to put socks on, but my feet were warm. With the thin socks I did not loose much ground feel and was completely comfortable. I am going to try to cut the sole off a sock, leaving some loops to keep it on my foot and see if it is the material under the foot or the material on top of the foot that makes the difference.

NakedSoleNate wrote:the cold

NakedSoleNate said:
the cold feels fantastic on my feet. I do not anticipate wearing shoes at all this winter...but that's me, I would never presume to tell someone else that they shouldn't adopt a FAT attitude towards winter-time wear....here in Central PA, it doesn't get much colder than 20 degrees F. that often :).
What will you do when snow requires you to spend time walking and standing around, outside in central PA? Do you plan to spend the whole winter indoors, except when you go out for a run?

pbarker wrote:I thought you

pbarker said:
I thought you were mad at me because the link goes to one of my posting.

Today I went for a run with a BFR. He started off barefoot and I had on a pair of thin black dress socks. Temp was ~32, dry, no sun. After 2 k my friend was numb and stopped to put socks on, but my feet were warm. With the thin socks I did not loose much ground feel and was completely comfortable. I am going to try to cut the sole off a sock, leaving some loops to keep it on my foot and see if it is the material under the foot or the material on top of the foot that makes the difference.

Interesting - I was thinking along these line myself. Please let us know how it works out.

I don't really stand around

I don't really stand around outside....but from my studio, I walk every day around town (besides running)....the only standing is at stop lights...if I stay moving, I am fine :)....other than running, I walk a few blocks to lunch, or to the bank...or from the parking lot to my car. I've never worn gloves, and my hands have been fine. In all my winters here, I've gone to the wood pile and moved wood from there to my house in bare feet...usually in boxershorts and a hoodie too :)...(we live out in the boonies, heat with a wood stove). So, if I'm outside, I am active....I do however, wear a nice warm beanie on my head!

Headed out now for five miles or so, not sure how cold it is, when I came in this morning form my early yoga class it was 30 degrees...it might be a tad warmer now, not sure :-D

Namaste, and good morning everyone!

I'm looking forward to seeing

I'm looking forward to seeing how low I can go this year. Each Winter my tolerance for cold seems to improve gradually. I just draw the line at pain.

NakedSoleNate wrote: I don't

NakedSoleNate said:
I don't really stand around outside....but from my studio, I walk every day around town (besides running)....the only standing is at stop lights...if I stay moving, I am fine :)....other than running, I walk a few blocks to lunch, or to the bank...or from the parking lot to my car. I've never worn gloves, and my hands have been fine. In all my winters here, I've gone to the wood pile and moved wood from there to my house in bare feet...usually in boxershorts and a hoodie too :)...(we live out in the boonies, heat with a wood stove). So, if I'm outside, I am active....I do however, wear a nice warm beanie on my head!

Headed out now for five miles or so, not sure how cold it is, when I came in this morning form my early yoga class it was 30 degrees...it might be a tad warmer now, not sure :-D
What happens when snow needs to be cleared, you're going to do that BF?

fetish4running said:
I agree with you, Matt.  When it hurts because my feet are cold, there's just no fun anymore in running.
It's a lot worse if you can't feel the pain, and THAT is why it's stupid to push the cold limits.

I agree.  It's not smart to

I agree. It's not smart to push the cold limits, and if you aren't for it from the get-go, you really shouldn't try it. You have to have the will to want to do this. With that said, it would be wise for people wanting to "push it" to do so in small amounts, small distances, preferrably over dry terrain to start with.

I think stupid is a harsh

I think stupid is a harsh word.

Last winter I pushed to see what my limits are for cold weather barefoot running. This doesn't mean that I ran until my toes fell off, I ran to my comfort level. I found what my limits were last year and I intend to push those limits this year simply because I know I am a stronger runner now then I was then.

I have found that I am really uncomfortable in any shoes so if I don't push to see my real limits I'd probably not get any miles in this winter.

If this makes me stupid I'm ok with that.

Your approach doesn't sound

Your approach doesn't sound stupid to me at all, Ram. You approached it with an open-mind and a wanting to make it happen. That's the first step in a successful venture. Then you learned what you were capable of. That's a smart combination, if you ask me. (Basically what I said up top. ;-) )

Don't forget, I ran down to 27 degrees dry for half a mile, then decided to put my socks on and go home, since only one of my toes felt like it might fall off. If it hadn't I would have probably completed 2 miles that night.

Thanks TJ, I just want to be

Thanks TJ, I just want to be sure that everyone understands that pushing your limits IS NOT stupid. If done correctly it will help keep you out of shoes for more of the winter and while those who are scare to be stupid are re conditioning their feet in the spring the stupid ones are running marathons (hopefully).

Yes, if it's done correctly

Yes, if it's done correctly and in the right frame of mind.

One thing I've found is that

One thing I've found is that my feet generally start out kind of cold, and it's only after a mile or two that they really warm up sometimes. The only exception to this has been when the conditions have been cold and wet. That combination (30's and wet) doesn't work well for me.

What Ram says about pushing limits really rings true for me.

I wish that the weather would be a little more cooperative, though. For example, it might be 33 and dry for one run, then down in the teens for my next run. That's just too big a jump to go from 33 down to the teens. It's rare when I can get temps and conditions that match what I'm actually ready for in terms of my adaptation.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon