Ten months of (barefoot) running!

My first run of any sort occurred on 07/31/2011, and went maybe half a kilometre. As I’m always barefoot, it was only logical that I would run that way also.
Since then, I have made a great effort to improve my stamina, and have participated in two 5K runs and a charity walk (the latter is something I do every year). You can read about the 5Ks in the Iowa Chapter threads.
My current goal is to complete a 10K run in under an hour, which means I have a lot of work to do since I have yet to finish one of those at all (my longest distance is about 7¼K).
My next running event is at 0630 this Sunday, the third, when I will do a fun run as part of the Bishop FIT program in conjunction with the Iowa United Methodist Conference. I hope to complete it in under a half hour, but that may not be realistic as I have been thwarted in my previous tries to do it except the very first one I did, the Forey Fest.
I post my runs to DailyMile and MapMyRUN, though have a number to put up from previous months. I find the latter site rather difficult to use though.
My longest run to date was a first in another way: I injured myself slightly when I tripped on (presumably) an irregular part of the sidewalk and took a few scrapes. The wounds are healing quickly. The greatest injury was to my pride, since I try to be very careful where I step and profess this as the “prime rule of barefooting” but think I must have been distracted for a split second. That run (05/28-9 over midnight) is shown, with photographs, on DailyMile also. I noticed that running in winter made my feet overly sensitive as I was constantly irritating the soles on sand.
Please note that I do my runs quasi The Naked Runners. I wear the least clothing necessary, usually shorts and cap or those plus tank top or T-shirt. In cold weather, I wear sweats, adding gloves, jacket, and stocking cap as dictated by the temperature. Unless I need something, I leave everything except my (stop)watch behind (though if I’ve driven somewhere away from home, I have my car key around my neck). I’m thinking about investing in a pulse watch but have not done so yet. The chief advantage of that, besides keeping track of my pulse en route, is to note exactly how long I am stopped for traffic. (If I could remember to restart my stopwatch after stopping it for that, I would, but I usually forget since I am more focused on crossing the street than the time.)
Maybe this winter I should look for a barefoot-friendly indoor facility but have no idea if such exists here.
Finally, I know I may not be in the same league as most of you on here, but if I can get to my goal, will feel as if I’ve accomplished something.

Reactions: Sid and dutchie53
Congrats on 10 months!

The greatest injury was to my pride

Yup, I fell and almost did a faceplant on one of my initial runs in my Bikila's. The sidewalk was raised about 1cm between sections.

I previously used a heart rate monitor chest strap and watch. After about a week of using it, I was able to get a relative sense of my heart rate based on perceived exertion, so I no longer use it.

I recently got a GPS watch. I like how it tracks distance, so that I don't have to map out my runs as much beforehand. It also has a pause feature, if I need to stop for a moment. It was only slightly pricier than what I paid for the HRM strap/watch years ago.

Reactions: Barefoot Walker
Congrats on 10 months!

Yup, I fell and almost did a faceplant on one of my initial runs in my Bikila's. The sidewalk was raised about 1cm between sections.

I previously used a heart rate monitor chest strap and watch. After about a week of using it, I was able to get a relative sense of my heart rate based on perceived exertion, so I no longer use it.

I recently got a GPS watch. I like how it tracks distance, so that I don't have to map out my runs as much beforehand. It also has a pause feature, if I need to stop for a moment. It was only slightly pricier than what I paid for the HRM strap/watch years ago.
to paraphrase ms. l’engle (a wrinkle in time): “try running with a sprained dignity!”
yesterday i got in a nice training run on the route for sunday.
thanks for the advice on the gadgets.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7