Sucks to get robbed part 2.

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
For the second time in 3 years we were burglarized. This time they got my safe with SS cards, birth certificates, jewelry, etc. they got some cameras and they got my Garmin 305. Once I can clear my head a bit I'm going to try to figure out how to keep someone from using my or my kids identities. I'm fairly certain that's not what they are looking for but I'm still f'n stressed about the whole ordeal.
Anyone with any experience with something like this?

Wow Ram, sorry to hear the bad luck. I second Gburgs call the police first. After that I don't know what to do as I've never had my home broken into yet.

I did call the cops, they came and took the report but beyond that and monitoring pawn shops there's not much they can do. I put a 90 day hold on my SS# so I hope that helps.
Running without the Garmin will kill me, I admit I'm dependent on it cause I suck at keeping a pace on my own.

Well I guess until you get a new one Ram you can run like JosephTree and just run for the fun of it. :D Trying to look at the positive side for you.

The important thing about calling the police and filing a report is that it's the cornerstone of identity theft indemnity. You can find out where to send for a certified duplicate of birth certificates on your state's web site, and the same with your SSN cards at the SS Adminstration web site. That part's easy. You may need your birth certificates first to get duplicate SS cards.
I did call the cops, they came and took the report but beyond that and monitoring pawn shops there's not much they can do. I put a 90 day hold on my SS# so I hope that helps.
Running without the Garmin will kill me, I admit I'm dependent on it cause I suck at keeping a pace on my own.

Have you thought about arming your home with a security monitoring system?

Have you thought about arming your home with a security monitoring system?
I have 2 large dogs. This is why I think it's someone I know, my lab is aggressively friendly when someone comes in the house, anyone who doesn't know him would not be comfortable, it was the same a few years ago when it happened before.
I have a good idea who it is, problem is proving it and if I'm wrong he's family so it could cause problems, but at this point I'm not concerned with burning bridges he's violated me twice. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and I'll break your damn neck.

Then you need to set up a camera and entice him to return, without his knowing it, of course.

And I just checked his facebook page and he recently became friends with a guy who robbed me about 15 years ago. He got a safe then but was pulled over for DUI and the cops found it in his trunk, a year later. Dumba$$. I'll be passing this on to the cops in the AM.
Problem is this guy's parents have been best friends with my in laws since school, if it's true it'll rock the family hardcore. But I'm not too concerned about that right now.

Let it rock and roll, Ram, rock and roll. If anything, you will be doing him a big favor, so he should be thankful. Of course he won't be, and won't get the big picture until later in life, if even then.

Damn man... I know you can call all 3 major credit bureaus and have them put a flag on everyones SSN and put a password on it as well.

As far as the suspect goes, I have a clean cut solution that will eliminate all the family BS. Dead men tell no tales.

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
The important thing about calling the police and filing a report is that it's the cornerstone of identity theft indemnity. You can find out where to send for a certified duplicate of birth certificates on your state's web site, and the same with your SSN cards at the SS Adminstration web site. That part's easy. You may need your birth certificates first to get duplicate SS cards.
I'll be working on all this starting tomorrow. I also have to fill out multiple forms to try to recover thousands of $$ of savings bonds that we all had; looks like I should be able to recover them, if not it'll put quite a hit on college. Once I get this stuff I'm getting a safe deposit box. and a gun. and I'm renting a room to Machete.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Damn man... I know you can call all 3 major credit bureaus and have them put a flag on everyones SSN and put a password on it as well.
I flag out SS #'s. It's a 90 day hold for now, they don't do it for kids so I may look into changing their #'s just to be on the safe side.

You should never store your personal important documents like bonds at home! What if there was a fire? At least at the bank, they have fireproof vaults. Aren't bonds electronic now? If something happened to the original document, couldn't you just contact the issuing bank?

They were in a fire proof safe, I'd have been fine in a fire. They took the whole safe.

Ram, sorry to hear this!! And it sucks even more if it's someone you know, but hopefully the family will see sense and be on your side. Just nuts.
My brother-in-law and his family have been burglarized three times over the past couple of years -- they think it's the same person coming back again and again. They haven't had any luck catching them, but they've installed alarms and security cameras, so hopefully the thieves will go target someone easier.

Fireboxes are rated for temperature and duration. Check the rating on the next one you get. Fireboxes, most of them, will only last in a fire if the fire is put out quickly. (Typically, the more expensive the box, the longer it will last in a fire.) I was disappointed to find this out myself. I keep backups of our family's digital photos in fire safe boxes, but every time I get together with my mom (she's in Florida), I give her a copy of the backup. It's best to have a copy offsite. They have companies now that will maintain a backup of your digital data on servers out there, so you can have your own offsite storage. Just something to think about.

Reactions: NickW