Strained Quadricep

Woodsman

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Somehow I managed to strain my left quadricep. It just started hurting yesterday and I hadn’t done much since the weekend when I ran, did some weights and yard work. I am not sure what I did since it didn't start hurting until a few days after. Just getting old I guess. It really only bothers me when I am sitting (which I do most of the day). It feels much better when I walk around or stretch it a bit. Do you think I need to rest it completely of can I do some time on an exercise bike while it heals?
Thanks
Brian

Woodsman,
the sitting all day is the culprit of many muscle imbalances. running is primarily glute function but most overuse the quads due to lack of hip extension and glute strength. might be good to have someone assess you who understands running. rest is rarely the answer .

Mark

Just getting old I guess.

It's never just old age! ;)

It really only bothers me when I am sitting (which I do most of the day). It feels much better when I walk around or stretch it a bit. Do you think I need to rest it completely of can I do some time on an exercise bike while it heals?

Depending on how bad it is, your best bet is to consult a doctor or physio.

That beeing said, I think that if you're saying movement helps, than keep moving :)

Pulled a hamstring recently and I found that heat (eg sauna) and massage helped as well.

All the best!

Thanks for the advice. I ended spending some time on the exercise bike that night and it felt much better after. It’s still a little tight, but exercise seems to help the best.

I am wary of using heat in situations like this. Last time I tried heat on a pulled hamstring and I guess it was too soon for heat because it made the pain go from uncomfortable to agonizing.