Stopping in to say Aloha, Hola, Hello!

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Sorry about abandoning all y'all!

I Have been insane busy with work, travel and other things and getting ready to head out of town again for two wonderful weeks in Hawaii but I wanted to drift by, do some reading and posting and see how you all are doing.

So.... Hi!

Well, I missed you big time! 

Well, I missed you big time! I'm glad you're well. How is the foot? Are you recovering well? Have you started running again yet?

Thanks abideTJ, Not running

Thanks abide

TJ, Not running yet. 1685948 seconds to go but who's counting.

In case you don't want to divide 1685948/60/60/24 to get days that is 19 days or November 2nd.

Turns out that I had not only tears in the attachment of the achilles to the bone but an old bone spur also cracked. Been walking pretty good and doing a little working out but any long walks hurt pretty bad and I ice a lot. Lots of PT too. Getting the Hammies and calves good and loose and strengthening the ankle and Glutes a bunch.

Doc told me to wear orthotics or at least something to raise my heel to relieve tension on the achilles and I said I would. I just wasn't up for an argument. Been doing a lot of barefoot walking and the first few days I was really sore but every week is better. The general rule is if it doesn't cause pain, do it. do I stop when it hurts and Ice.

I now have a new pain scale. it starts at mile 3 and goes to mile 10. (based off my Annapolis 10 miler run)
[*]1 is no pain[*]3 being a twinge of pain and a curious wonder[*]4 a nagging pain[*]5 an oh shit this hurts[*]7 is I want to go home and take a drug, any drug[*]9 is if I don't die, I will throw myself in front of a bus or off a bridge[*]10 I want my mommy and some morphine
Seems to work well for me and after a good walk or a day standing and teaching SCUBA I land somewhere between 4 and 5. Thats when I get a good Ice massage and take some ibuprofen.

I may give a few short runs a try in Hawaii depending on how I feel around Halloween. That was the day the doc said I could run but I fly the day afterwards. I just can't imagine a trip to Kona without at least one run down Alii drive on the Ironman course. It is a personal ritual.

Well, at least you are on the

Well, at least you are on the mend. Let us know how that first run goes. And keep checking back here in the meantime.

Angie, the Islands say Aloha

Angie, the Islands say Aloha nui loa a hui hou

You know the feeling of being rooted here. It is crazy, I so never want to leave and when I come I return and hen I go I leave home.

I have been waking up every morning to the birds and the early morning Kona sun. I head downtown, get a great cup of Kona and watch all the people run by. It drives me nuts but at least in Kona, I can go nuts and feel relaxed about it ;)

I have been doing a fair amount of Diving and lots of hiking. The Achilles is feeling better every day and it does get a little puffy by the end of the day. Lots of Ice and Compression. If all goes well, I may try a few short runs next week. I have to at least get one run down Alii Drive before I leave home.

Lava, you can't run down Alii

Lava, you can't run down Alii Drive wihout doing the rest of the ironman first. You know that, right? :p

Yeah, Lava, you're getting

Yeah, Lava, you're getting there!

So glad that you are

So glad that you are enjoying yourself and on the mend.

I want to come back someday and stay for a long while and also hop over to Oahu to redeem myself by running the Honolulu marathon again. Barefoot and fit this time :)

The pier is a great place to swim and snorkel too!

I don't swim, at least not

I don't swim, at least not like that. I'll ride and I'll run but unless I am surfing or Diving, it just ain't gonna happen in the water. I stand at that pier and look out there where the turn around buoy might be and worship those gods of the IronMan.

I love this town, it seems everyone is running or riding. I ran a few hundred yards today. Baby Steps, it felt pretty good. Iced well and applied some compression afterwards. Maybe a short run sunday. Leave my Condo and run to the Keauhou shopping center and back.

Wooooooooooo

Wooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo

Got in a little run today. First real run since my Achilles Tear. I ran 3 miles down Ali'i Drive and although it was a little sore, it was bearable and I ran. :D :D

73476_10150109908482588_686387587_7003847_6509783_n.jpg

Yeah!  That is a beautiful

Yeah! That is a beautiful run there. Love all the color. Does Hawaii have a fall and winter? If so, what are they like?

Yes there is a fall and

Yes there is a fall and winter in Hawaii. In fact there is a fall and winter everywhere on the planet ;)

Heres your sign...................

OK, I couldn't resist. Now to answer you question, there are season change but they less prominent than most places. Tings like poinsettias change colors and some trees lose their leaves. Temperatures change slightly but not a lot and the waves are much bigger in the Winter

Ptttth!  You knew what I was

Ptttth! You knew what I was after. How much longer are you going to be there? Maybe you could take pictures for me to show me what fall looks like, even ever so slightly.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7