Something Funny For All My Barefooters

barefootnuch

Barefooters
Jul 23, 2010
Well, today was definitely an interesting day for this barefooter. I practically had to explain why I run barefoot to my anatomy classmates and teacher. How did this happen you might wonder?

So, for the past couple of days, the class has been focusing on the integumentary system, better known as the skin. Today we were on the topic of nerve endings in the skin and how they help the body with its sense of touch. Naturally, my teacher asks: Does anyone think they have an interesting way of how they can feel things or lack thereof? So, after some prodding by some teammates, I raised my hand and said yes, I run barefoot and I have been for the past 2 years. So, after some brief discussion about what it does for the skin (deadens nerve endings and creates calluses on the foot), ne of my other classmates asks the eternal question: why do you run barefoot? My answer was simple: Because it's natural.

Am I reading this correctly? 

Am I reading this correctly? Since when does running barefoot deaden nerve endings? I would also argue that it doesn't create calluses but apparantly my idea of a callus is a bit different then others.

I don't know if running

I don't know if running barefoot helps to deaden the sensations we receive from our plantar skin, but when it comes to my feet, I wish it would! :cry:

I can see where it can

I can see where it can condition the skin and make the pads more elastic and tougher to a point your feet wont blister. Of course your feet can always blister due to bad form. I do believe your plantar skin becomes alot thicker and builds up a protective wall. I don't believe it deadens nerve endings. My feet are still sensitve like always. That is what makes barefooting so enjoyable is the sensitivity that comes with contact on many surfaces, to me it's the best most relaxing feeling there is, well almost ;)

In some regard, I personally

In some regard, I personally believe it deadens some of the nerves, but not completely. If that makes sense...

barefootnuch: I think you

barefootnuch: I think you might be right. I think it's kind of like with hearing protection, if you wear ear plugs for an extended amount of time first of all your ears will start to adjust and become more sensitive in a sense, you'll hear stuff that should've been too silent for you to pick up, and then, when you take them out everything will be incredibly loud for a while until you've had time to adjust. If your feet have been in shoes for your entire life they're going to be overwhelmed by suddenly actually feeling something other than the inside of a shoe.

I think it's like this, it doesn't deaden the nerves, it just brings them back to normal.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon