Solidify the Soles

snowshoe_hare

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
So, with this, pray God, brief break to recover a bit.... I'd like to keep working on conditioning the soles (or foot pads) to handle rough asphalt and the like....

I read on the RW forum someone stepping/running in place on a rough door mat...

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to toughen up dem dare feets?!?!!?

Ya' just gotta get out

Ya' just gotta get out there and do it! The sensitivity of our feet is like our eyes. After being in a dark room, if you walk out into bright light it hurts, you have to give your eyes time to adjust. Same with feet, after a long period in shoes, they need time to get used to all the input from textures. At the same time, you need to watch your form. Not getting blisters isn't about having tough feet, it is about having good form that doesn't scuf, slide or abrade the skin. Your skin will change a little, but not as much as you think.

hhhhmmm... Well, I've

hhhhmmm...

Well, I've definitely noticed a difference within the last few months...

1/2 mile used to be brutal... now 4 miles is do-able.. .

BUT, I'm a bit at a loss for 26.2 miles on rough asphalt....................

We shall see, eh?!!?

When I'm putting in more

When I'm putting in more miles or long runs on rough asphalt, I'll hop off to the side into the grass for a bit to break it up a bit..That way I'm still getting the conditioning of the extra mileage and conditioning my feet on the rough stuff. It's a bitch though isn't it?

Yes, it's tough... but I have

Yes, it's tough... but I have noticed... that one's feet do adapt rather quickly.... I'm making some progress...

I'm wondering how next winter will effect all the conditioning I have worked on.....

I am VERY happy that my feet, ankles, and lower limbs have gotten MUCH STRONGER!!!!

I'm working with the same

I'm working with the same issues, just trying to adjust through using my VFF's with a little full on barefoot mixed in. Not too many blisters, but I've noticed quite an uptick in the amount of dead skin that I'm losing off my feet. The main thing is to remember that I've got 30 years stocked up in tennis shoes, work boots, and cowboy boots. Not something I'm going to get over in just 4 or 5 months.

I've noticed a distinct dull ache (occasionally sharp) in the space between my 4th and 5th metatarsal and proximal phalanges (thank the internet God's for Google!). Is that my pinky toe beginning to splay out and join in the fun? If so weird/cool/ouch all at once!

I've had very fleeting

I've had very fleeting experience with TOFP, and this doesn't seem to be quite the same. It's further down and to the right almost at the base of the toes. The TOFP was, well, at the top of my foot :) right around the center. I know there is more to come, I just hope it's after next months 10k that I want to run in.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7