So, who does post-run ice baths?

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I avoided ice baths for a year, but I just kept hearing how helpful they can be! So I tried one last week and it made a huge difference. I've started doing them after long runs or even short runs if I'm feeling sore.

I was told by my physical therapist to get a couple 10-lb bags of ice, fill tub with cold water (only so it covers legs), put in one bag, let it melt for 5 minutes, put in the 2nd bag, and sit there 5-10 minutes more (15 minutes max.) I pretty much follow those instructions except I just use ice from our freezer--the icemaker has a pretty big capacity, probably not 20 lb but enough to do the trick. He told me that after the ice bath I can take a hot shower if I want--the 10 minutes of cold has done its job, and it's fine to get warm after that.

It sucks for 10 minutes, but it seems to help me feel so much better afterward. Between that and the new trigger point techniques I've learned from my PT, I couldn't believe how good my legs felt on day 1 and 2 after this weekend's long run. (It was far enough I would have normally been pretty sore.)

Any other ice masochists in the group? ;) (Actually, I think ice baths just display an ability to go for delayed gratification--shiver for 10 minutes now, feel good for 2 days after. So I'm sure it means those of us who do them are enlightened and mature. 0:) )

i've used the ice bath since

i've used the ice bath since my high school days and love it. i think the 20lbs of ice is a bit of overkill though. that's a lot of ice and you don't want the water colder than 40 degrees or you risk damage to the skin. i do what you do though. fill the tub up a little deeper than my thigh thickness with the faucet set as cold as it goes. i add the entire ice maker bin to the tub and let it sit for a few minutes then i jump in for 20 mins. i don't find it too cold at all around 40 degrees, in fact i usually take the time to catch up on my reading :)

i've never done a hot/warm shower right after though. i like to let my muscles warm back up at a natural pace, letting the cool sit in the tissue a little longer. like your guy said there is nothing wrong with warming up right after but it's never been my preference.

viva la ice bath!

That's interesting, Jimmy,

That's interesting, Jimmy, glad to hear you can still get benefits when it's maybe not QUITE so cold. Most of my ice melts around the 10 minute mark so I'm guessing mine's not getting too cold. I'm still shivering a bit though because I'm a total cold wuss. :)

I'm not a big ice bath fan. 

I'm not a big ice bath fan. As far as I know, you use an ice bath in order to prevent stiffness and soreness in your muscles. For me, it's easier to concentrate on rehydrating, getting my potassium and magnesium levels back in order with a banana or some supplements, and stretching. That does a lot for my stiffness and soreness without having to suffer through the ice thing.

I use them. The idea is to

I use them. The idea is to reduce inflammation. It works. After long runs now I roll a frozen bottle of water under my feet.

A lot of people at work see me smiling at my desk, it is not because I am happy it is because I am icing my feet.

I'm a fan of ice baths as

I'm a fan of ice baths as well. I actually just started them 2 weeks ago, but there is a noticeable difference in how I feel afterwards. Generally, I'll do them if I run 10+ miles.

For anybody thinking of trying them, once you get in it isn't too bad :). I have a hot cup of herbal tea or apple cider with me to drink, which actually makes it very enjoyable.

I do ice baths after long

I do ice baths after long runs (usually 7+ miles). I haven't had to do one since transitioning to bf though because I haven't gone over 6 miles yet.

I have done both the 10-lb bags and the icemaker thing and I've found that the icemaker works just as good. I fill the tub up (belly-button depth I guess), dump the ice in, and get right in. When the ice is melted, I get out. Waiting for that last piece to melt is sometimes murder though!

I'll have to take Roberekson's advice and have some hot tea or something with me; I usually drink (cold) Gatorade.

I have never done an ice

I have never done an ice bath, it sounds miserable to me...burrr! I think that the extra shivering would tighten my muscles up more! Interesting to read about your experiences though, whatever floats your boat I say:)

Why not just add a bunch of

Why not just add a bunch of Hooch, then dive in. You know, stuff like XXX moonshine, Hawaiian Punch, and every fruit you can imagine. Let it sit for several days at least before diving in though. Oh wait, never mind.

Haha, nice TJ.I've only

Haha, nice TJ.

I've only taken an ice bath a few times since I started barefooting, but during XC and my summer workouts I would take about 2 a week. Its really only bad when you get a part of your body thats still warm, and it gets into the water. After I get in I'm only cold when I move around. I prefer to use about 3 gallon size bags full of ice (I get the bag off as soon as possible), but they tend to develop holes, so I have to use new bags every time, which is a pain. Now I'm using 4 milk jugs and 2 soda bottles full of ice, but it melts really slow, so instead of just sitting I have to fill the jugs and bottles up, and then dump them out on my legs. I rotate through quads/hammy's, calves, and my feet. Very cold, but it gets the job done. And if I'm feeling particularly bold I dunk my upper body in while the tub is draining. I probably look a little odd shivering in the bottom of an empty bath-tub. I also like to take a hot shower afterwards, otherwise it takes me to long to warm up.

I have done an ice bath once

I have done an ice bath once and it was pretty intense! I drank hot soup and wore my coat while I sat there :) I took a shower after to warm up.

I was not sore or achy the next day at all. I think I should do it more often. It wasn't so bad and I just used cold water and then dumped the ice from my freezer in. It was plenty cold :)

When I was training for

When I was training for marathons (shod), I would take an ice bath after my >14 mile fling runs. How I felt later was amazing! What I usually do is run the cold water in the tub, then get in, then "let" my 10 year old son pour in a bag of ice. By putting the ice in after I'm already in, I'm somewhat acclimated before the ice hits. Then I stay in the tub for 20 minutes. The reality for me is that after 3 minutes or so, my body is numb and the cold kind of evens out. Pretty freakin' cold for those three minutes though. After I get in, I just sit real still. 'Cause the last thing I want are waves. ;-) I just did this without researching it too much, so the methods you (Beth & Jimmy) talk about may be a better way to go. I may try them and see if they gel any different.

i sometimes do just my legs

i sometimes do just my legs and sometimes i'll it up deep and slip my whole body in. rules stay the same. 40 degrees and 20 minutes. i've never really had a problem with it feeling too cold. i usually drink my water or hydration drinks like nuun or gatorade and read a book. i'll actually start to get too comfortable and move around which, like danjo said, makes it feel colder again.

I did them a lot last year

I did them a lot last year (shod). This year BF only needed to after 20 miles and last week after a full Marathon.

I wear a stocking cap and a bathing suite. Got to protect the twig and berries!

"twig & berries" I'm

"twig & berries"

I'm giggling like a middler schooler. :bigsmile:

I've done a few morning runs

I've done a few morning runs where the dew was so thick and cold, it was like an ice bath for my feet. I have to say that this was pretty unpleasant, at least for the first couple miles. But once my feet were warmed up, it was fun to alternate between dry pavement, and cold, dewy grass.

The point of ice therapy

The point of ice therapy (which IS very effective if used correctly) is to reduce inflammation byt constricitng blood flow AND flushing out lactic build up and waste in the muscles by constricting them ( think wringing out a dirty wash cloth). The BONUS is when the tisue warms FRESH blood is rushed to the area helping with healing.

The best way to use ice IMO..is not to just lay in it for long periods of times. It is to have many repetions of the freezing and heating process.

SO.. you do want the water FREEZING ...the colder the better as you are only going to be in it for 30 seconds.

in a concentrated period of time

dip into ice for 30 seconds and then pull it out and put in in warm water or you can forgo the warm if you'd like. Let the area warm up for 3-5 mins and then dip back into the ice for 30 seconds. Rinse and repeat ATLEAST 10 times in a 2 hour period.

I use this method with a bucket and frozen water bottles which I keep in the freezer so I dont have to deal with ice cubes and such.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts