Signed up to a very special event

jlubkoll

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Did something very different yesterday, signed up to a - different - marathon.

Not my first but definetly worth some experience. It is a marathon being run in a mine 700m below the ground. In December at approx. 25+ degC in tunnels of an old salt mine. Limited to 400 runners it is something being held for the 10th year now.

While the ground might be suitable (salted) for BF i'll have to be minimal shoed (and helmet+light) as my feet can't handle more than 13k before inflicting pain BF at this time. Maybe i can have that fixed by then, otherwise there're going to be shoes.

It is a round course of 5.7k and 110m up every round, so this is going to be a little more work than Berlin End september which is flat.

German home page: Untertage Marathon

From what I read on reviews, worth an experience. I'm thinking of having a camera with me - if there is to be a helmet, why not a camera.

Someone else here posted his

Someone else here posted his mining run with a couple of others from BRS. Who was that you guys? He had some great pictures too.

Sounds like a blast, JL! Definitely get some pictures.

Sounds neat! Yay pics and

Sounds neat! Yay pics and stories!

I saw a story about that race

I saw a story about that race on the Discovery channel I think! Looks really cool but all I could think while watching it was "man it looks hot and stuffy down there". That first breeze back on the surface probably feels reaaaaally good.

Very cool race! Since I enjoy

Very cool race! Since I enjoy close, tight spaces (claustrophilia?) I think that would be an awesome race!

TJ, that was me who did a

TJ, that was me who did a race in a mine, aka "race of doom". Hopefully this one will be paved, or a bf compatable surface. When the shod people complaid about the surface, you know it's bad. But it was neat being undeground with the moles diggin holes.

Paving a cave?  That just

Paving a cave? That just doesn't seem natural, now does it?

The ground is definetly not

The ground is definetly not paved down there. It is either steel plates near the elevator or salt and if not salt then stone.

From the theory it can be run barefoot but i'd try what happens running on big amounts of salt while sweating on the naked feet for a couple hours before i'd do that for the full distance. Obstacles on the ground were very limited.

They do now have a 10km run in October in the same mine, that could be done barefoot without too much risk :)

Jörn